Rotor XTR Q-Rings on 08 Stumpy Carbon Pro

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by culturesponge, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman

Beat me to it.

2. culturesponge

culturesponge keep on keeping on

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chewyeti View Post
    so biopace is making a comeback?

Beat me to it.

lol, so does anyone have a bike with biopace to do a direct comparison?

'don't remember biopace chainrings working half as well as the Q-Ring's do

3. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

i have the middle ring on it's way, this post got my curiosity going and ordered one to try it out :lol:.

And my intent is to use it on my SS Stumpy 29er... I'll let you know any feed back I can provide you - I ride Sullivan cyn too, so far, I have never made up on a SS without stopping at least once ;)

4. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

so what do these feel like when you stand and pedal, what happens if you already have a decently smooth pedal stroke to begin with.

5. culturesponge

terrific! - honest, this thread isn't to promote sales of Q-Rings, just to share knowledge

so what ratio did you buy? there's a great review where marc @ bikefix was using the Q-Ring on his SS

"By moving the lowest leverage spot a bit further down in the pedal stroke, it felt like I could stay on top of the gear a bit better (with my feet carrying a bit more momentum, maybe?) and I started to feel much better about my purchase. The non-round ring meant that I was effectively pushing a 36x19 (on a 29er) where my legs were stronger and I certainly felt one or two teeth faster, without additional effort. Even better, I felt like I was recovering more quickly."

http://www.bikefix.net/2009/03/bikefix-exclusive-review-rotor-q-ring.html

and another what 29" tires are you using?

6. culturesponge

i'll ask the mrs when she gets back, she won't let me ride her bikes!

Q-Ring’s certainly enable more legpower while spinning in the saddle. i think if your standing up and cranking hard pulling on the bars the axle still goes around the same way as before - its just the chain that slackens and tightens slightly on the eliptical rotations that you may or may not feel

after watching roadbikes kitted with Q-Rings winning stages on the Tour Of Italy, Tour Of Spain and also Tour de France - i think they deliver (and i watch too much telly)

(photo caption: In celebration of his ´08 Tour de France victory on Q-Rings, ROTOR has prepared a unique, one-off yellow 3D crankset especially for Carlos; to complement the Jersey he rode up the Champs Elysées last year.)

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester

This data shows the advantage (peak torque) is greatest at 90 rpm. If you're climbig Sullivan on an SS 90 rpm is doubtful. :)

At 65 rpm it's a statistical tie.

8. culturesponge

overnight she's 10 minutes faster with the Q-Rings from our front door to Sullivan Ridge top gate - with the same effort, we don't need any lab tests to show they work!

thanks for contributing, did you ever try biopace?

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

deleted

10. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    2wheel_lee-
    The peak torque in the table is the maximum over 360 degrees of rotation for a given RPM, not the maximum over all RPM's. Look at the polar charts.

As I interpret it at lower rpm's the rings have less of an advantage, maybe because it gets harder to switch muscle directions with the greater force at low rpm's.

11. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

I purchased a 33T, I am not a hardcore SS rider that push 36 or bigger :)

Tires, I have WTB Exiwolf I think. They came with a wheelset I bought. Not the ideal tires for me, just waiting for them to wear out.

12. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

I never said I climb Sullivan at 90 rpm, I highly doubt it too :lol:.

Thanks for the lab results. But I'm the kind of person who will let my legs and lungs decide whether the equipment I purchased is working for me or not.

It's a good baseline though, which will allow me to gauge/expect where it makes a difference. But it does not account for many other factors, riding style, terrain, conditions, etc...

13. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

Placebo effect. :?:

14. culturesponge

thanks for the laugh, to get a fair comparison maybe i should have made her ride blindfolded, or maybe she snorted a line of coke when i wasn't looking before we set out, or she has a long lost twin sister who i've never met or heard of whose an athlete, or unlikely as it might sound maybe they actually worked?

thanks for contributing, have you ever tried biopace chainrings or know someone who has?

15. culturesponge

i've alot of respect for BMX ninjas, those gate starts are just mental

perhaps drop a line to rotor usa and see if they'd let you demo a ring?

[email protected]

when my ex mechanic had probs intalling the 44t, Kervin Quinones offered to take it back for a full refund, even though i'd bought them cheaper from Spain

they seem like nice peeps

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Back in the Dark Ages, several years BS (Before Suspension). Just too irregular. Compact cranksets were better for someone transitioning from road riding.

17. Lambda_drive

Lambda_drive Member

Maybe it's all in your mind. When you spend that much money for a set of chainrings you kind of want them to work, so subconsciously you might be putting more effort in your pedaling and that might be why you seem faster. :?:

18. culturesponge

you've never met the wife, ask her to go faster she'll slow down!

but after installing the inner 2 Q-Ring's (23/33t) Flavia had her best ever time by 14mins, then every ride since is 7-10mins faster to the gate than before, trying hard or not, melty heatwave or cool foggy weather or not - those weirdly shaped Spanish Q-Rings made a huge difference

i'm not trying to sell Q-Rings, i won't buy them myself unless i move back to SF & need help with the granny ring

19. culturesponge

like that alot, BS (Before Suspension)

in the early(ish) 90's i rode a friends Stumpy race bike with biopace about 5 miles & didn't like it. i found biopace distracting/annoying, but being in the east midlands of England there wasn't really a decent hill for miles to prove out any advantages

apparently Rotor have a 43t XTR Q-Ring in the works to replace 44t in the XTR kits because of all the grief & grumbles from customers, if i had the 43t instead of the 44t the install would have been alot less of a headache

peace

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I think thats it right there.

Seriously, biopace rings/rotor rings have teh same idea behind them. If you are riding clipless, and have a decent spin, your not going to benefit from these. What I have noticed in teh past is that the people who do benefit fromt hese, are those riding platforms, where all you have is pussh, no pull and flow. Clipless pedals are another great cure to what these rings accomplish. What Lee said htough about the starts when riding BMX, that would be a good place for these, aside from having a hell of a time getting tension to stay constant.