Rock the Vote - Prop 8, YES/NO?(Threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MTBMaven, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Let seee.... we learned this a while back

"Separate is Inherently Unequal"

Brown vs The Board of Education

2. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Wanna see the next generation of bigots being brought up? Then check out the street campaigning the Yes on 8 crowd has been ramping up as Election Day nears. Folks lining the roads with their picket signs, oftentimes with their young children along as participants. It's all a very heartwarming scene.

3. jcka

jcka Member

I'm not posting here based on my beliefs, morals, opinions or anything regarding prop 8. I consider my vote sacred; therefore, my vote is for me to know and the results to find out.

I do have a rant with all the BS name calling when someone's thoughts are not the same as the other/others.

We are an incredibly large society and by the virtue of that we are all not going to agree on everything...and that is ok.

In regard to maxisracing (I neither agree or disagree with his comments), his opinion is his opinion, and if the response is not the same as yours, that doesn't make him a low IQ idiot. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

The thread asked how you are voting? don't railroad someone just because you don't like their answer.

Agree or disagree, give the same respect to someone as you expect to get in return.

Thank you for your time.

4. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

“Proposition 8… would eliminate the fundamental right to same-sex marriage. The very act of denying gay and lesbian couples the right to marry – traditionally the highest legal and societal recognition of a loving commitment – by definition relegates them and their relationship to second class status.” Los Angeles Times Editorial, August 8, 2008
    Regardless of how you feel about this issue, we should guarantee the same fundamental rights to every Californian. Vote No on 8.
    Let’s remember that gay and lesbian people are our neighbors, our friends, our coworkers and our family members. They are nurses, firefighters and small business owners. Same-sex couples are loving and committed couples who want to get married. They care for each other, they pay taxes and they want to protect each other and take responsibility for each other, just like other couples. We should not hurt same-sex couples in California by eliminating their right to marry.
    It’s not the government’s place to tell couples who have been together for years whether or not they are allowed to marry. In California, we let people decide what is best for themselves – without government interference. Eliminating fundamental rights for same-sex couples treats them differently under the law – AND THAT’S WRONG. Vote No on 8.
    Domestic Partnerships are NOT the same as marriage. Domestic partnerships are just legal documents. They don’t provide the same dignity, respect, and commitment as a marriage. In a marriage, a paramedic doesn’t tell you that you cannot get into an ambulance with your spouse. Married couples can automatically make life or death decisions for each other in these crisis situations, no questions asked. Vote No on 8.
    Regardless of how you feel about this issue, it’s wrong to eliminate the fundamental rights of fellow Californians – and hurt our friends, neighbors, coworkers, and family members. THAT’S WRONG.

And to maxxisracing: The whole "One Nation Under god" crap was instituted in the 50s when a-holes like Joe McCarthy were trying to scare us about communists. It was never the intention of the founding fathers or else they wouldn't have written about religion in the first amendment to the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson explicitly wrote about a "Wall of Separation" between Church and State in 1802 when the Danbury Baptists tried to pull some crap saying that religion should be part of the government.

When people like you start mixing your beliefs with government, very bad things start to happen (ie. Taliban). SO KEEP YOUR RELIGION OFF OF EVERYONE ELSE'S BODIES

5. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    Flaming madman coming around the corner...

Seriously, semantics or not, you still have to ask yourself why the need to separate the two. I'm a fairly cynical person when it comes to power and legislative efforts. These things don't usually make their way onto ballots without some ulterior motive--or at least something less obvious than the reasoning they give in the sample ballot.

That said, I'm only suggesting that a month ago "No" appeared to be sailing to victory. It now appears "Yes" is to be at least competitive if not victorious (unfortunate) and I blame that a bit on "No" being asleep at the switch and thinking the momentum they once had would take them through Nov 4.

I do hope this does not pass. I can't find any fundamental reason for it beyond religion. My wife and I would hardly be impacted by anyone else getting married and I can't think of any good reason why we'd want to call it something else other than marriage (the semantic argument).

Also, another good resource for anyone that hasn't hit their sample ballot yet.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=California_2008_ballot_measures

6. Blueman

Blueman New Member

Downhillphill - "Its clear that a male and male or woman and woman can not naturaly have a baby so that should be a sign in and of its self that infact its wrong and not ment to be. "
    I'm married and my wife and I have no intention of having children... ever. Are you suggesting that we should not be allowed to be married? Think about it!

7. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife

8. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Women beyond menopause can't have children naturally, so using the logic of some, they cannot get married. And what about neuters, or people that had testicular cancer, or the impotent, or nerds:lol:

9. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    :-k just wondering who gets to sleep on the couch after a big fight ;)

10. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    It's like a gruesome auto accident, this thread. I don't want to see, but I slow down and look anyway!

11. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    i spoke to God, santa claus, the spaghetti monster, and my dog last night. were all voting no on 8.

12. Edog

Edog Member

I think the Yes Voters may well out weigh the No Voters here in Orange County, but I would hope that the rest of the State has a far more cosmopolitan view of life and rights. We do separate religion and state (and I think this is a good thing), and to me the issue seems to be more about the scared word 'Marriage' to the Yes voters than anything else
    If they where secure with their faith then it wouldn't be an issue. We are all going to get judged by the big guy. Starts small, but next thing you know you are killing infidels!
    I would hope that my children aren't taught about any type of marriage in school, especially religious and if they are it better include gay marriage. Even if you ban it here, it's still permitted in other states. I attend church often, but my marriage that didn't mention god once as I don't think that the bond between my wife and I has much to do with my faith. (Plus it was like the 5th time!!!)
    I will be attending a gay wedding this weekend. I can't wish my friends enough happiness; they have a great family and a very happy son. I can't get my head around anybody that would want to disrupt this in anyway, including some of my own extended family that will be voting yes!

13. simonmtb

Has it got any sisters?:)

14. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales
    I wish Barbara Walter would have a sitdown with this God dude and get all this stuff sorted out........

Would it be.

BW - So god do you love everyone?

God - Yes, well except them fags.

Or

BW - So god do you love everyone?

God - Yes.

Is god all loving or are ther exceptions?

Me, I'm an atheist. I think the interview would go

BW- So god, do you love everyone?

God -

BW - uhhh... can anyone see him? are you sure he's in the chair?

BW- So uh, god, how's Jesus?

God -

BW - this just isnt working.

15. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    matt13, remember "god" is referring to one of many gods, like of the water and sky. "God" (with big G) is the big cheese. dont forget it!

16. simonmtb

Nice one matt13:beer:

17. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Thanks....I have a feeling I may catch some heat for it though.

Vote "no" on Matt13!
    paid for by the people against Matt13

whoa, hold on.......

There's a spaghetti monster?

18. simonmtb

Yep, there seems to be a long pause in the thread while The Hosts gather.... GULP
    Was that lightning? #-o

19. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
  20. houseofmusic

houseofmusic Preman Hater

it doesnt say anything about a man or woman and animal inanimate object either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.