Rock the Vote - Prop 8, YES/NO?(Threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MTBMaven, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    Signs read that It will save marriage. WTH? The divorce rate is so high and it will miraculously save it? Gay marriage will probably bring the divorce rate down.

huh?

I was saying that a prop to restrict gays is like a prop to restrict races.

2. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

I am voting no as well, this is my biggest problem with this is that religious views should have nothing to do with law(EDIT: if you disagree for other reasons fine it's your right, but there is supposed to be a serperation of church and state so religious views should have no bearing.). As to the whole school issue the closest thing to marriage I was taught was having to do a pretend budget for a household or something along those lines.

3. Marriage is between a man and a women... Anything besides that redeffines what marriage is, there for A man and man or a woman and woman would not be a marraige, so it should not be called a marriage. Plus on top of that it is unatural and should not be promoted as the same thing as a man and a women getting married. Another point to make is if this is one nation under GOD then why are we promoting something that is against the bible. Everything in life uses a female part and a male part, just look around nothing would be possible with out it, so why would humans tamper with something that is not to be. Its clear that a male and male or woman and woman can not naturaly have a baby so that should be a sign in and of its self that infact its wrong and not ment to be. This is just another step towards curruption in the U.S, and it might not be that currupt but it will definately lead to currupt things down the road.

4. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
    No need to explain. I was just inserting a joke on a serious thread:beer:(Diet Coke)

HUGH
    :)

5. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    Where does it say anything about man and woman?
    Who said it is not to be?
    Marriage says nothing about a baby.

6. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    1) I hope this is a joke
    2) I seem to remember you mentioning that you are a teenager

Guess it can be explained as ignorance/ lack of education.

I recently de-friended someone on Facebook for advertising that they'll be voting yes on 8. I don't care what your religious preferences are, that's just plain wrong.

8. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Marriage = misery ban it for all!!

I am not voting, If I were I would support it. For me it's the financial implications such as tax breaks, property, life/health insurance, credit. The size of the community may seem insignificant but believe me it all adds up.:-k

Being straight I think it selfish for two people of the same sex to marry for love. We are provided generous subsidies to wed the opposite sex and deal with their BS, whining, and lack of appeal as they age and get fat (unless you get cleaned out beforehand).8-[

I have seen gay couples so happy and it's because they are with their best friends all the time, they can better understand each other, and will need less counseling/ health care in the long run. Either couple cannot have children conventionally and if you have never put up with a pregnant chick you know they are getting off easy. Further most are both employed, unlike the traditonal bread winner who runs to the bar to escape his fat, harping, nagging spouse and screaming brats. In my world you've gotta earn those breaks the hard way, and not just because you are blinded by "love".:-s

We have bigger issues to vote on than granting more tax breaks to yet another special interest lobby. People can do whatever the hell they want so long as it fails to impact the benefits of millions of others.

9. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    Curruption??? On Sunday when you are in church take a look around you! Some of the people around you have done , are doing or will do much worse than have a loving and compassionate relationship with another person of the same sex. I'm not gay, but I wouldn't dare tell another person they are wrong if they are gay. It's not up to you, me or especially the F'n government who we can marry. WAKE UP!! Don't worry about what others are doing in thier OWN lives :?: It's none of our business. I'll stop fow now, but damn ,this touches a nerve!

10. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

maxxisracing, you sir, are an idiot.

11. Ok let me clear this yeah I agree since this is a free country they should be able to be together. All I'm saying is I think its wrong.:?:

12. Mordy

Mordy mmm beer

too much work
    All the religious folks lost a lot of their argumentative strengths on this issue when they went and made marriage an issue of the State, and not just of beliefs, and then went and also wrote up anti discriminatory laws.

In essence they defeated themselves because many aspects of religion are discriminatory. Good versus evil, holy vs. unholy, man vs. woman(yes, its there), the devout vs. heathens. In this case the gays are heathens by definition.

To me, i don't understand why the homosexual community wants their relationships to be state sanctioned in the same was as a traditional marriage. Its not like its worked out so well for the straight folks. The real advantages are better health care coverage through spouse designations and tax breaks through joint and dependent filings. You don't hear the gay community talking about those a whole lot though.

13. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    Haven't we learned that threads like this do nothing but go downhill, fast. Talk about the ultimate shuttle ride. Ladies and gentleman, fasten your safety belts cuz - here we go!!

14. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    My wife was telling me the other day that there are about 3 mentions in the bible about homosexuality and about 2,000 about poverty. Where's the religious right when it comes to helping feed a person, cloth a person, or just help them get on their feet? The church itself does quite a bit, but I see many church goers shun the thought of helping those in poverty. 2000 povety vs 3 homosexual references...YOU decide your priority when/if you meet your maker!

the great thing about America is that you get your own opinion, but remember, it's just your opinion...don't push it on others...let them live their life they way they way to.

rant off!

15. MotoDave

MotoDave New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    In my opinion, because marriage is so widely accepted, Marriage is now an institution of Society, not of Religion any more. The claim that Marriage is a Christian idea/concept and can't be changed by the state doesn't hold weight for me at all.

I can't understand why it matters to anyone that a man marries another man, or woman marries a woman. What impact does it have on your life? Nothing is taken away from you.

Ultimately we live in a society where the vote of the people will determine if this is allowed. Some say gay marriage will corrupt society, well I say that society's opinion of gay marriage has changed, and you're the one whose views are in disagreement with those of society.

16. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    My sister is Jewish and gay. When her and her partner had their wedding ceremony their Rabbi was there and so were many people from their synagogue. So, not all Jewish people are voting Yes on 8.

17. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:

18. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

I think it's wrong that people like you should be allowed to vote. I'm going to pass a law that anyone with an IQ at your level or lower not be allowed to vote. That OK with you?

19. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Everyone knows that GOD wrote the Qur’an, not the Bible... er, wait... was it the Torah?

20. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Regardless of your religious conviction, what you are missing is that this is America. This country was founded on fundamental freedoms. The same freedoms that allow you to practice whatever religion you choose.

Now you want to tell people, how they should live? Does your religion give you that right? Or do you think that people should just leave other people to people be and worry about there own problems?

And why is it the schools responisbilty to teach childeren morality? Excuse me while I raise my daughter the way I see fit and choose not to have Ms. Crabtree to do it that way other people see fit.

Your whole "corrupt" arguement is just plain paranoia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.