Rock the Vote - Prop 8, YES/NO?(Threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MTBMaven, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burner

Burner WAWE

now that was funny:lol:

(I'll be voting to let anyone live life the way they would like to, this issue is actually really straightforward because it doesn't affect anyone negatively)

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Bestiality

:?: how I am going to vote on that one....FoShizz would get lonely

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    15 years!

Let me put a face to this for some of you.
    Like it or not, I deserve the same rights as you.
    I have harmed no-one in my personal pursuit of happiness.
    Unlike many of you, I have found my rock, my light, my soul-mate. We have laughed and cried and been there for one another and argued about bills and bought a house together and made a complete and normal life together.
    It's been 15 years this January! We save lost dogs and cats and re-home them. We donate to charities that help animals and children and fire departments and even the police. I like to help elderly people across the street or carry groceries out for them. If they knew who I was, would they pull away and call me sick? That's what I wonder. Do they hate me? Do they want to take away my rights as a person that loves another person?
    15 years! How many of you can say that? How many of you can respect that?
    If this wasn't California, we would be in deep trouble.
    I could not make a life saving decision for her if she were in an accident. I couldn't even visit her in the hospital.
    The supreme court decision over turned Prop. 22 because the will of the people is wrong! The judges on that court are mostly republican but they see the big picture in this. It is flat out unfair discrimination.
    Read it here. IN THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA

I'm perfectly happy with a Domestic Partnership benefit type union. By doing that, she was able to get my health insurance coverage at FedEx. Only offered to employee's in Ca. and Ma. by the way. Whereas UPS has offered full partnership benefits since 2001.
    Also, you can still be fired simply for being gay in 32 states in this country. Or is it 38.:-k
    Damn!! I'm stuck here!! With 5$ a gallon gas!!
    Anyway, I'm happy with the benefits a domestic partnership allows us. Marriage will give us more. That is the only reason I would get married but like it or not, lots of people that are gay want to be married in a church under the eyes of God. That is their belief. That is how they were raised. That is their right. Believe this or not, it doesn't affect you. You may not like it. So what.
    Live your life in peace. Help hungry children and lost pets and read to the elderly. Trust me. Gay marriage? Please. There are bigger things to worry about in this crumbling world!

Attached Files:

4. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Liz, that's so awesome. Good for you two. I admire your spirit and spunk.

P.S. I made it to 15 years of marriage but I'm afraid that's where it ended. I hope you two make it to 60 yrs. together.

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Outstanding!

Thank you for sharing:bang:

You are happy and help others. :clap:

6. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    My uncles were together for 40 years (we lost one of them this year). To see any happy couple in a long term relationship is an inspiration.

7. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I am one for supporting educated voting, no matter what your decision, however, I think this issue is too charged for some to think clearly.

We are not voting on whether or not to allow gay marriages in your church; if you don't believe in them, don't have them in your institution.

What we are voting for is giving the same state rights to those that are a bit different than us. We're voting on allowing their community to have the same rights as other married couples when they're sick and dying, when they're healthy and filing taxes or going for a wellness visit under their partner's insurance, etc.

This is NOT an issue about church marriages, THAT should be brought up in your own church, but don't force me to believe what your preacher preaches by dictating it to the state and making it law. After all, doesn't even the Bible state that we are fallible, as we are all humans, only God can condemn--who are we to judge?

8. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Yes, but now you can get married at City Hall. Try to convince me that it's a religious ceremony.......

9. mtbchip

mtbchip Karnivore

Residential RE agent
    Marriage is an outdated "contract" that needs major review and changes. One of which would allow anyone to marry anyone they want..... we may also want to look at the tax codes in our capitalist "republic" so that there is no upside or downside from a income tax and estate planning perspective that will nullify other incentives to marry other than "love"....... Sleep with who ya want to, wake up happy!

10. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    Who is voting Yes on Prop 8???

Why?

I am voting NO b/c there is no reason to restrict gay people from getting married.

Thats like having a proposition to not allow black people to marry other black people.

Why vote yes?

11. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    My feeling exactly.

It's not my place to infringe on the right of homosexuals to live their lives in the same manner as anyone else.

12. slo65

slo65 Balls of fluff

Living the dream
    i'm voting no as well, it seems like the only people i've talked to voting yes are real conservative christian types or homophobes, their (gay) lifestyle is not for me but you should do what makes you happy

13. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

it seems to me the only people voting yes are the sheep, that believe the scare tactics form the commercials

14. Chris

Chris New Member

MOTOR TABS & Ladera Cyclery
    I am voting NO as well. Take a look on what my girlfriend wrote about Prop 8...

"Did you know that from 1850 to 1948 that it was ILLEGAL in California for whites to marry blacks or asians? And that span of time was even longer in other parts of the United States?

"It took the United States Supreme Court to tell Americans that they were not living up to the promises of the Constitution: In 1967, in Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court ruled that laws banning interracial marriage violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution. Those opposed to interracial marriage made many of the same arguments about "nature," the Bible and tradition and made the same predictions of dire consequences that are hurled today by same-sex marriage opponents." (from the Gilroy Dispatch)

The proponents of Prop 8 have been spreading misinformation and outright, baldfaced LIES. This proposition has NOTHING to do with churches or schools. There is nothing in the California school system that requires schools to teach students about marriage, gay or straight. AND even if there were, California has laws in place to protect parental rights already (*see below).

Today I saw massive amounts of Prop 8 supporters on street corners, holding up signs saying "Prop 8=religious freedom!", "Prop 8=parental rights!", and various other unrelated propaganda. Please do not be taken in by scare tactics. To be more truthful, they would need signs saying "Prop 8= loss of civil rights!" or "Prop 8=unequality!".

Unfortunately, Prop 8 appears to be winning in the polls. It makes me incredibly, incredibly sad to think that this could pass. I think it would be a major step backward for our state and society at large."

15. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    I know someone who is friends with several gay men in her community. She is voting yes because of her religious views. Religios morals are playing a big part in the perception of this issue.

16. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I am glad and more that happy for gay people getting married that way they can feel the pain every hetrosexual male has to go through when he gets divorced. Besides the gays should marry it can only boost the economy a bit.

17. Justin

Justin I fall a lot

Computer Programmer
    this thread will get hot, but I am NO on 8 because some of the coolest people i've met are gay, and if they want to torture themselves with marriage, why stop them?

plus I want to punch the yes on 8 ads in the face

18. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    I see how the commercials scare people saying they will teach gay marriage in schools. Now think about that. I was never taught anything about marriage at all in school. Why would they teach something new when nothing change?

There was a poll on the news saying that 43% would vote yes and 48% No. I see signs all over the place for "Vote Yes on 8" and on bumper stickers.

One of these days I am going to roll down my window and ask them why.

19. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal

Weez allowed to git marrid now ser'.......:?:

HUGH
    :)

20. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

yes religion is a big deal with that. I recently (no surprise)
    alienated myself with my jew and catholic family members
    with supporting NO on 8. But hey I'm old and when you get my age WGAS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.