Ride Report Rock Shox Golden State Downhill #4 (Finals)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Vince, Sep 4, 2009.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Julia,

You are truly amazing!!! We are all very proud of you. I did not start my DH career until 2002 so you definitely have an advantage over me!!! I will happily teach you everything I know so you can then beat the pants off of me!!! :lol:

And please know that we are always available to practice with you (we wouldn't volunteer if we didn't mean it).

I am looking forward to the 4x races at Fontana, so get ready for a showdown girlie!!!! :bang:

2. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    (sorry this is long!! i've tried more than once to write this darn thing)

My race weekend started out pretty rough, we arrived in Mammoth around 12ish and by 1:30 in the morning I was visting the good 'ole Mammoth ER and when I arrived back to the condo (at 2:30 am) I was the proud owner of 10 stiches on my eyebrow and a HUGE headache!!!.

My 1st thought when it happened was OMG!!! My race weekend is OVER!!!!
    I still managed to get up with the massess and head out to the venue - I did however take Thursday off (to give my wound some time to heal and to get rid of the huge headache) I have to admit when Kim rolled in from her 1st practice run so shakin up I was pretty anxious...Kim has always been the voice of reason at each of our races....Even though we are racing each other she'll spend time making sure i'm confident and ready for my RACE run! - Now that is selflessness (not even sure that's a word) I'd been on Velocity several times worked on our race rock garden but hadn't been up top to the steep chute and she had me worried! but by the end of her thursday practice she had mastered it (thank god)

By thursday night I felt comfortable enought to at least try on my helmet and googles.The googles just cleared the stitches so Friday brought a few practice runs for me.
    The Friday plan was We (Kim, Julia, Myself and our coach Nancy) would meet at the chair when our practice started..
    1st run it was Kim and I plus her AWESOME teammates, I followed Kim and just as we came to the roll in I stopped..It was tricky, you had to turn around this rock that messed with your brain (pedals hitting) then ride a steep chute..I couldn't wrap my head around it!
    2nd run - was when we met up with Winston, Nancy and Roger, I followed Roger around the rock into the chute went OTB into the chute and there I lay, more like slide with a bike on top of me. WTH???? How am I going to get down this thing???
    3rd run of practice - It was us again luckliy we ran into Julia, it was her 1st run on the race course. The plan was we'd follow Nancy over the rock to the right avoiding the little rock turn but doing the *BIG GIRL* line into the chute....So away and down we went one after the other with much SUCCESS!!!
    Julia - did as I did and froze her 1st time around..We all waited and tried our best to give her advice all the way down...My advice to her was pretty simple, "Julia, I fell 2x's down the chute but kept at it and finally trusted myself and the bike to get down it" i'm glad Bryan took her back up and helped her get through it in her head!
    I didn't practice a ton (I had a wound above my eye and wanted it to heal good, it's on my face for gods sake!!!) I felt I could get down without killing myself and saved as much as I could for race day!
    I know I said it more than once but I truely apprecitate all the practice runs and advice from Nancy,Roger and Winston - I know you ALL took time from your runs to do so, fwiw - I tried to listen and use all the advice given!

Race Day was windy and all I could think about was what if while we're rolling into that chute a big gust of wind comes and blows us off course??? at the top Kim made me sit out of the wind and did her best to keep me calm...Once again Kim steps up and takes care of my nerves before OUR race run! There went Nancy, then Roger I just hoped their runs were good...Now we wait.......We beginner ladies 35+ are the 2nd to last group to go down.
    As we awaited Nancy and Roger came back up to the top, I was worried something had happened, but instead they were back up to support and cheer us on!!
    Anyhow - race run came and my run was as good as it could be as far as technical riding goes, I rolled the rocks into the chute and rode the *Big Line* flawlessly throught the rock garden. My pumice riding fell apart, I actually dabbed a few times through the super thick section just before the table - I had made it through that stuff no problems during practice but just couldn't keep it together for the race..I dabbed on the 2nd loose corner before the 4x course but did manage to stay upright (this corner gave me a hard time during practice too). The 4x's course was tough to finish on..Your already tired from you race run then you've got to keep it together around all the berms and obsticals it has, as far as i'm concerned it was just as hard as the top..I was fortunate enough to have Nancy show me the lines and I just talked myself thought it race run.
    My race run was over! and I had made it down in one piece!! that's all I can ask for.

Golden State Series -
    Yep I went to all 4 races, Got 1st at the National, 2nd at Woodward, 2nd at the July race and 3rd in Mammoth..Some races were better than others..

Nationals - I was confident though all the rock legde rolls and it showed..by far my best race, confidence is key and I'm slowly learning this.
    Woodward - I cleaned that little tricky middle section smoothly and with ease both runs and made up several seconds my 2nd run.
    July - I crashed the hardest I ever have on in my life during Sat practice. The crash stuck with me for about a month, my riding was in bad shape, yet I kept with it every chance I could and worked through it in my head. The race was hot (think they said 111 up top) I was scared after my crash and it showed, I crashed both runs!! 4'x the 1st run and 2x's the 2nd run. After the 1st run I didn't want to go back up, but Kim and LaLa basically made it clear I had no other choice but to suck it up and finish my race.
    Mammoth - we'll you just read about it the run.

So there you have it, I raced all 4 races and YES I did come home with an AWESOME Golden State Series 2009 Champion Jersey.Did I do it alone??? Absolutely NOT...

It started with my very 1st run EVER at Fontana with Nancy and the many runs and rides with her throughout this season...Nancy thanks for giving back to me and every other new racer and helping us become better more confident in most everything we do. Neil, Nam & Gary - your support and endless shuttle runs have been AWESOME even if I spent a month OTB-ing my way down whatever trail we rode - if we hadn't done those i'd still be at the top of that stinking chute ;) Also, racing with the ladies in my group has been incrediable~! The support we've given each other has been something i've never felt before. We've celebrated each others successes, which just makes us come back for more :bang:

I had lost sight of these successes for a while after my race run, it left me with a void. A void that made it almost impossable to enjoy the fact that I had commited to all 4 races and won the overall for the series. Thanks to my friends and family for reminding me how hard i've worked to be where I was on Sunday and that place was with some of the best people i've ever met doing the most fun thing i've ever done! Thanks Nancy for showing me a what fun is, thanks Neil for supporting everything i've wanted to do this season, thanks Nam for taking me to the hospital and thanks Kim for being you!

Congrats to EVERYONE who raced! and HUGE props to all their supporters :bang:

Sport Class Womens 35+ here I come!

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Traci,

Time to move up to Sport class, girlfriend!!!! You had an awesome year and have many more to come. ;) Time to train for next year, your carrot awaits!!!!

P.S. All this in the name of fun!!! :bang:

4. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Honestly I thought I'd get a few more lines of "thanks" then that:lol::lol::lol:...I mean the bikes, components, clothes, gear, protective gear, fees, the kill or be killed racing attitude;)...sheesh.....oh well, so goes the life of the racing widow#-o

5. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Man id be stoked to have a wife that races.....i bout a bike for my wife and its a dust colector..... Just shows that you have to have a love to ride and not do it cuz someone else does it..... "SurlyGal" you rock...!!! to over come smoking and to dedicate your season to racing and not going to the beach says alot... you deserve everything you got and more...!!! Hope to meet you this year at the winter series...I will be making my first season at DH racing....I raced BMX for many years and now its time to hit the moutain......Time to train...!!!

6. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Sorry honey! i've got the Mostest, greatest hubby in the whole wide world! (is that better??)
    Well actually I do :bang: he sacrificed his racing season for mine and for that I truely do apprecitate, not to mention the bikes, the gear, and the sure honey go ahead go riding with the boys i'll stay home with Maddie :) although I do have a hard time with the "kill or be killed racing attitude" ;)

7. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    But if your serious about racing dh, go out and ride more often! lets make some weekends rides going on..

8. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Hope that was'nt directed at me....I ride more then most....

9. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    no it was for my cool friend, traci

10. HinkDog411

HinkDog411 New Member

Home Page:
    I had fun, won my class and got my first ever cycling title! 40+ Beginner Men's 4X CHAMPION! Thanks to all who helped me out this season as well, you all have welcomed me in to this community and made me feel like part of the family....THANKS![​IMG]

11. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

you look nice in slim in that caltime jersey!

12. HinkDog411

HinkDog411 New Member

Home Page:

Well, aside from THAT comment...I feel like I've been welcomed.......

13. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

lol i mean that its a good pic man.. way to rep caltime :bang:

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    wow, julia! you and your mom are quite the team.

what a great story/race. it's amazing how far and fast you can go with a little confidence (and a little help from your friends). pm me when you're ready to go out to lcwp/el mo and show me how to really ride the tech sections.

15. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

A few more pics...

Tony:
    [​IMG]

SuperD(H)Kim - The H is silent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traci:
    [​IMG]