Ride Report Rock Shox Golden State Downhill #4 (Finals)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Vince, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    Can't sleep:lol:

2. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Good luck to all ya lucky bastages. I except to see lots of footage, video and still. :beer:

But he is a little embarrassed by the pink thong he wears under the skirt. ;)

3. TylerSkyler

TylerSkyler New Member

nooot
    yooo wheres the RR at for this.

I need some info, pics, stories, something. You guys are killing me!!!!!

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Most of us are trickling in to town.

Mine well I have no race report.

5. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    My race report is that I saw mfoga on the 14 Freeway about two hours ago.

6. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    so does that mean to didnt do all that well...???

7. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    NA I did alright. Was just waiting to upload some vid first.

I got 9th in the race. I think there were about 20 in our class. I crashed in the second to last corner. It was nice and hard packed all weekend but became total loose crap by race time. It was about 3" thick so I just totally washed. But I got 4th in overall. That will teach you other mid-packers that consistancy can be a good thing. I was never on the Podium all series. The course was one of the funnier ones I raced. Lost of speed in a couple different sections. Couple of things that you wouldn't be used to if you've never ridden Mammoth. Can't wait for the pics to come up.

I took my wonderful GF and she had a great time too. When I wasn't practicing I took her for some runs. She had a nervous time on Off The Top. But soon learned that Less pedaling makes a DH bike so much more fun. She likes riding Downtown but the first three hills really make it hard to enjoy for Boobs. oops I mean Noobs.

One of my other favorite things about this weekend was seeing Bluefirepics (Andy) out racing. Bryguys and I were waiting for him at the 4x section and yelled, screamed and shook empty beer bottles and him as we ran along the course. I'll let him pipe up to tell how he did. But damn that was funny.

8. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i didn't race, just ate sh*t #-o o well...watching the dh was cool! congrats to Traci and everyone who did well out there

9. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

good race. I'm sure there will be a better thread somewhere. I had a bomb run, then crashed in the 4th to last corner. like pmortuary said, the 4X track was significantly looser than in practice (they had been irrigating it for the first 3 days of practice, but not race day). I blew my back end in a corner and lost around 8-10 seconds methinks.

the course was pretty bomb though. sprint out of the gate, around some flat corners, down a leap of faith rock roller/drop, and onto a ball-to-it straight section with gullies to jump. then it was a turn into some rocks and pumice. a long pumice chute, which dropped you into the table at the top of lower velocity. you hit that table with extra speed (having started 40 ft further up the hill), so you could easily clear 50-75% of the landing. then a fast loose section, and the go-around for the hillary drop line (the one with the paver steps pictured somewhere). hit the wallride, and into the rock garden. that was the gnarest feature of the course. you could plow the ridge of rocks, or pop and flow over he lower line (my choice ;)). tag a FAST paver berm, over some roots, gap some rocks. then the course peeled away from velocity, and met up at the bottom of the techno drop (avoiding crappy pedally sections that had been predicted by yours truly). over the onbound deck, and hit a HUGE paver berm and mach speed (you could pull a few G's in that corner methinks). then a straight section, a bit of a pumice chute, and another straight section that was all flow and pump. hip over a table, pump, pump roller, whip the next table, pump, pump, gap the roller to the table lander, pedal. then into the chicane section: 2 loose, blown up berms, the 2 pavered berms that could be RAILED, and one funky berm made of chairlift wheel tires that was a little rough. another section of tables, then it was onto the 4X track for the finish.

from what I understand, the pro/ex course was VERY gnarly, and there was lots of carnage. I heard of at least 1 broken hand, a bashed knee, and a few cases of tree hugging. definitely a crazy course for them.

me? I got 15th of 25, with my crash, and a final time of 3:38:xx. I'm okay with it, but I'm pissed I ruined a great run at the 3rd to last turn.

10. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    so this is my first real race/ride reports. i was getting ready to leave for mammoth and my brother calls me. he is already there and talked to the mammoth people. they wont let me post up my banners of hand out flyers. no advertising at all. and someone told him they wont even let me sell them. i didnt want to deal with all of mammoths crap so i decide to race. my last race was in 2006 so i raced beginner. there ended up only being 4 people in my class. i start out confident that im at least going to get 4th. i have a great run. i couldnt figure out who the 2 crazy guys chasing me dowb the 4x track were. i found out later. i have pictures of them. i ended uf getting first. i was stoked. i won by 5 seconds and would have gotten 20th in the sport class. so i dont really like a sand bagger. over all a good weekend. got to hang out with some str people. i remembered how much i loved racing on a real mountain. i shot all of 4x. they will be online tomorrow hopefully. i dont have internet at my house so im posting from my phone. sorry if any thing is misspelled. ill post more later

11. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Mammoth

Julia is busy doing her homework. I'll have to post for her this time. It was her first time out in Mammoth. Loved it and kept telling me on the car ride back she wanted to go back. We got there on thursday night. I dropped off Julia12, Mfoga and Bryguy on the mountain on friday. Friday didn't go well. The word was she wasn't going to race. This was her thought as well that maybe she was not ready. Luckily she had alot of support and people that believed in her Traci, Nancy and Bryguy. Bryguy taking the time to teach her the ropes on Velocity. We wonder if Bryguy would have come in 1st, if he had not given up his practice time to help her. Thanks to Nancy, Roger for always being willing to help her out. Mudman for the loaner vest. Mudman she loves the vest. Thanks to Winston and Scott for the practice run with her. All this support gave her the confidence to go for it. Neil your advice is unforgettable.

On saturday she rode velocity with more confidence. People don't understand why she was questioning herself on friday. They say she has ridden worse. I really wouldn't know. I quizzed her on saturday night but she 100% she was going to try. All that mattered to her was trying. She had no expectations. Actually when we decided to go out to Mammoth we weren't sure she would race. We had heard Velocity was a tough course. I understand they toned it down. Bryguy figured out a way to get her through the rock section. It worked. It was a great time her and she learned to trust her bike. No crashes on race day learned about the kitty litter. It turned out to be a good experience for her. Thanks Mark for carpooling with us and riding around the mountain with us.

Of course thanks to her number 1 fan. The guy she calls when in trouble. The guy who gave her confidence over the phone Dino.

Thanks to The Path for making sure her bike was safe for this race. The kid loves racing with The Path shirt.

Hopefully she can post about her run herself soon.

Attached Files:

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I think the royal ninjas made all the difference in your podium appearance :bang::bang::bang::lol:

and elvia, no worries on practice time. I woulda been more tired and done worse if I hadn't taken a break :)

13. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Good to see Julia race, never GIVE UP! your a good rider, keep it up!

I had great times, and great support up there.. But my stupidy for carrying cash on hand with no pockets losing so much money on race day got me pretty disapoint, but its good to have great people and friends help out. I thought I was going to be screwed and stuck.. Thanks Neil, Traci, Robert, Bryan, and Taylor for helping out.. I owe you guys!

I didnt even want to leave mammoth either, it was pretty fun course (to me) that it goes into an 4x, which was a FUN ending of course.

14. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    We all do stupid things. I left all my bike lock keys sitting on my rack and drove off. Luckily I have backups for most of them (4 seperate locks) and only 1 was actually locked when I drove off and I had a backup for it with me.

But if anyone found some keys with a very old school blue Nike key chain let me know. Thanks.

15. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Well Yeah the point is I never had lost big bucks ever, this was first time.. its just totally disapoint.. because that was ALL I had left for rest of the week til payday.

16. Sheeniethemeanie

Sheeniethemeanie Go to FB to see pics!

I dont have one...:(
    Congrats girl! Sheesh, I saw the course, and i'm a wuss! I was talking to my bf Dave (pmortuary) and I asked him..."Does she race?" He said that you've been racing. Man I give you mad props girl. Congrats!!!:clap:

17. Sheeniethemeanie

Sheeniethemeanie Go to FB to see pics!

I dont have one...:(
    Dave (pmortuary) and I had a blast.;) He noticed a difference in my riding (i'm a newbie). He took me to Big Bear 2x before we came out to Mammoth. That helped a lot\\:D/. Last time I was in Mammoth, I would ride Dwntwn and it took me :(FOREVER (probably like an hour). Dave took me down it to show me where to go. I knew we were on a time limit since he had practice at 11:30am. Man, I zoomed down that trail like I knew every bump that was coming upon me. It took us 20-25mins to get down. For me, that was a great accomplishment:bang:. On Fri. Dave and Noah took me to "Off the top" after we all had a couple of beers:beer:. We were all relaxed (especially me, since I rarely drink):drunk:. I got nervous because of the unknowing. But man I jamed through that route. Dave was really impressed and :Dproud of me because I was ripping through stuff that I usually walk or brake really hard on. The only thing I got to work on is getting more fit to [-Xpeddle up hill. Up hill sucks butt. I'm used to dirt bikes and they do the work not me! I'm doing baby steps, but i'll get there. I rode so much and pushed myself so hard that I kept taking IB 800mg and muscle relaxers, so I can ride some more. Really enjoyed great company, conversations, and meeting new people. I had a blast. Ohh and as Dave would say "I drank the Kool-aid!" HAHA :eek:

Well, I got to say congradulations to :clap:EVERYBODY, regardless of what you placed or your over all scores. I understand how hard you guys/gals push yourself, even when you fall. I got to say it's nerve racking when I watch the "carnage" ](*,)section. You all did great!:bang:

18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Great weekend!!!! Got to ride and race and ride and race and ride in that order!!!!

1st in 4x and 1st in DH, not a bad comeback. Hopefully someone will post photos.

Roger, unfortunately had fork woes all week on both bikes. He didn't get to race 4x and had an OTB in the pumice on his race run.

The highlight of racing was working with the girls and watching them conquer the "BIG GIRL" lines!!! That's what it's all about ladies. Thanks for letting me be the carrot. Mad props to the girls, Traci (DH Series Champion), Kim, Julia and Robin (4x Series Champion).

Let's train!!!!! ;)

Oh, and Roger let me stay yesterday and pop the Uzzi's Mammoth cherry, all I can say is I LOVE MY UZZI!!!! Thanks Anne and Andy for a most memorable day. Let's do it again in 2 weeks. :bang:

19. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    That sucks! If it helps at all, a one dollar bill came blowing through the Incycle camp, you can have it if you want!

20. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    Am I the only one that heard the announcement about someone finding a "huge wad of money" in the men's bathroom? Might want to contact the promoter and see if they still have it.