Rock Racing

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by BFloFoxRider., Mar 13, 2008.

1. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    You know you're probably right except that I think perhaps they have the ability to bring some folks into the cycling world because of their looks. Like it or not that is how we here in America seem to work. Make it look kewl and we'll be all over it like white on rice. If the team converted even a dozen people to cycling and maybe got some sponsers to put some money into cycling here in the US I don't see how that could be bad. Dopers or not the expansion of the sport can't be a bad thing.

Their use of big cars isn't really that big of deal, I mean how many of us drive to the trail head? I drive my Xterra right up to the trail head, unload, ride for a few hours and then load it back up and take it home. I think that for the most part this part of the country just forces you to go this route. So I'll sit back and just kind of smile at the site of these big a$$ black support vehicles. Go ahead and make a spectacle...make cycling kewl...make it popular and get some kids off of their butts and onto a saddle!!! Just my 2 cents worth.

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Just so you know that is a Rolls-Royce Phantom, not a Bentley.

3. giant rules

giant rules New Member

"rock racing" is the name for the road team under the real name "rock and republic" which is a really good team on the track.(velodrome)

4. Bert

Bert Member

I would buy this jersey :bang:

Attached Files:

5. giant rules

giant rules New Member

I would take that bike!

6. singleminded

singleminded I poached, and got busted

Something I don't like
    Tyler served his suspension and is free to race this year...actually there are other "so called" dopers on the team. I think Santiago Botero got busted also....

Anyway they got a strong team with some top dogs...but they are getting up in the years as road racers. These are all top current or past racers:

Santiago Botero
    Oscar Sevilla Rivera
    Tyler Hamilton
    Victor Hugo Peña
    Fred Rodriguez
    Mario Cipollini

They also support two local pro women:
    Lana Atchley
    Courtney Hammond

Courtney teaches Philosophy at Cuyamaca college

Keep an eye on them...they should do well

7. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    [​IMG]

Hamilton, Botero, Sevilla, and Leogrande. The first three were not allowed to start the Amgen Tour of California due to implication with Operacion Puerto.

8. Alex

Alex Crank it out

Student, Tutor
    May the fastest non-tweaker win.
    If it's them, more power to them.
    If it's not, then not.

9. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    sorry, but you could not be more incorrect. i know one of their star riders personally, have worked with him, and he is a world class pro and a great, great person.

find out more about the people you trash-talk before you shoot your mouth off like that and start name calling.

you may not like the team, but they are stirring it up big time and breathing some life into road racing and riding in general.

10. singleminded

singleminded I poached, and got busted

Something I don't like
    yes...

They quite are :bang:

11. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    [​IMG] I saw David Clinger going up PCH awhile ago on his bike! His tat is hideous and Rock Racing hired him because they wanted to give guys like him a second chance!

12. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Hey say what you will about the team's owner Michael Ball and his promotional skills. But cycling needs new blood and new fans and at least Michael Ball is trying to shake things up a little.

So what if hired some guys who gut busted? They served their time and if they test clean now I say let them race.

Not letting the Rock Racing guys race the Tour of CA b/c they were implicated in Operation Puerto is BS. Operation Puerto is an open investigation that will probably never close in the near future.

13. OffRoadie

Electrical Engineer
    Is this the kind of "stir up" and "life" you want?
    http://velonews.com/article/13787
    "I offered Horner three times as much as he is making right now, for a three-year deal. And he played us. He wanted to stay in Europe, and I don’t blame him, but he should have been honest about it."

Versus Horner's version:
    http://www.velonews.com/article/13788
    "If Michael Ball gives the okay, I’ll be happy to release every version of my contract that he sent me. And for the record, I’m making substantially more money this year than I would have with him. Granted, Astana is a one-year deal, so I’m not making more than I would have versus three years with Rock Racing, but I didn’t want a day-to-day contract. I can tell you that his offer was substantially less, if you went from year to year."

A similar mess played out in the press between Ball and Steve Hed, Ball and Scott Bicycles.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2008/rock_racing_bikes08

I have a strong dislike for Michael Ball.

14. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I don't care for him either. He's too green but I think Cipo may be setting him straight when it comes to PR.

My partner did a depo of his once and said he was an narciissicctic liar that thought money could buy anything! (obviously I can't spell narcissicsisicsit):lol:

15. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Long Live Rock Racing! As afore stated if someone doesn't stir this damn pot of piss soon no one will care.....

Love your bike, ride it a lot and try to make our sport not so damn horribly gay (excuse the slang, no reference to sexual preference) to sponsors. There was a time not so long ago that major automotive/ insurance etc., etc. companies had interest as well as investment in our creepy hobby.)

Were blowing it!

Love,

C.K.

P.S. Oh yeah, Mavic wheels are horribly unreliable.... My bike is broke off!

16. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    "I have a strong dislike for Michael Ball."

i said nothing about michael ball's character, or what happens behind the scenes with their contracts, or the he-said/he-said between ball and horner.

my comment was 100% due to name calling directed towards the riders and their abilities, which was likely made with no personal connection or knowledge of them as people, or how hard they've worked in their pro careers. calling them "spoiled" and "over-paid" is a joke. neither are true.

finally a sponsor has the money and understanding to step in and treat cyclists like pro athletes - in a similar way that all other pro athletes are treated with nice cars and hotels and sponsors and everyone starts pointing fingers at them.

some of their riders have may a bad past.... not too much different from all the other pro athletes and people in the world. give them a break.

i'm stoked that these riders are treated like pros and taken care of by their sponsor.

17. Hollywood

Hollywood don't 8-1-hate

Home Page:
    like them or not, I gotta agree! :bang:

18. OffRoadie

Electrical Engineer
    And my comment had to do with the comment of "breathing life into riding" and "stirring it up big time." I do not want what Ball is bringing.

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Sorry this thread got so "In Depth" #-o

Next time i post something that may cause controversy i should have something to untie me from starting the discussion :-k

20. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

Plenty of negative always comes from money from out of our Industry however, Money is money.... Go race your bike after paying a premium and win/place @ a race and get something more then a 50 cent pile that doesn't even have the event date or class and you'll be pumped.

Cheers!