Rock It Takes Another Rider Today

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mingo1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. whybother

whybother New Member

when my sister was in a coma, after about the first month most people moved on with their lives. after 6 months we all wanted to move on with our lives. when things started to change a bit at 9 months we were pretty excited!

2. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Wow...I was hoping his was different because I heard the word "induced". I'll keep an eye on the thread as I'm sure everyone else is!

3. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    [​IMG] My prayers go out to all that this has inpacked..... Hope for a speedy recovery....I hate to hear about a fellow Rider going down....

4. TRJ

TRJ New Member

Sr. Material Planner
    My prayers go out to Ken and his family.

5. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    Amen Brother you hit the nail right on the head. What I was suggesting in my earlier post is if we could do anything for his family. Bring over a dinner for the family or help out with something around the house etc. It's usually the little things that mean so much when family members get tied up with the major things. Keep us posted a lot of people are praying for him.

6. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

Sorry I haven't updated this thread this week. I was on vacation and just got back today.

I spoke with his wife today - Ken is still in an induced coma. They did a tracheotomy the other day to help protect his vocal cords and he also had cranial surgery to help better relieve the pressure on his brain.

He is still day to day at this point, not getting too much better but not getting any worse. He'll be in the ICU for the next few weeks. He also fractured his pelvis in 3 places but the orthopedist said that he shouldn't need surgery for that. The main focus right now is his brain.

His wife has started a blog on www.caringbridge.org/visit/kenkrieger to track his progress and to update what has been going on. If you go to the journal section it will give you an update from this past week.

Ken's wife has not asked for anything other than your continued prayers. She has a very good support group in her family and her church.

Please do continue to keep Ken in your prayers. It's going to be a long road to recovery.

Peace -

7. ferndigity

ferndigity New Member

bartender
    thank you for the update, I will continue to keep him on my prayers.:bang: Get well soon, ken.

8. b-man626

b-man626 New Member

microbio
    thanks for the update...get well soon ken

9. Johnny Dirt

Johnny Dirt Dirt is Good!

RN
    Healing vibes! As an ICU RN I know he could always use them.

10. gone2vegas

gone2vegas Crash Test Dummy

aspiring lottery winner
    I originally heard about this on our mtb email list. my thoughts are with him and his family.

11. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

10/6 update from Caring Bridge web site

Thanks for the update, I signed up so I can get updates. Here is the one she posted on 10/6

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:46 AM, PDT

Yesterday we stayed in "the zone" - everything worked together. At around 2pm they turned off the heavy sedation (paralyzing drug). They replaced it with another "lighter" type. His nurse last night explained that they are moving him back to the standard protocol. Because of his injuries, they needed to put him on the paralyzing drugs to override his body - not have it expend energy and control blood and oxygen levels to his brain.

My understanding is that they will very slowly begin to pull back from the heavy narcotics and allow him to wake up. The weaning process takes about 2 weeks. We are moving forward, but have been warned. There will still be places where we will be taking steps back or stall before we move forward again. The road will not be all smooth sailing from here - we are just taking the next step.

I know that the Lord protected us in the first days and week by not really understanding all of the details. As I have connected the dots and understand more, I appreciate that God was watching out for us by just allowing us to sit as His feet - to be comforted, to be given peace, and to be held.

It is hard to sit and wait, but that is what the Lord is asking me to do right now: to relinquish Ken to Him for healing, to allow the body of Christ to come alongside and be His hands and feet, to focus on the girls as we walk this difficult and unknown journey together.

Thank you for continuing to walk with us and carry us in those times when we cannot walk.

12. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    To be honest with you, trails don't have to be technical to send you into a world of hurt. And I know many (myself included) that would consider Rock-it technical.

All it takes is the wrong angle, an unexpected slip of the tires, the wrong amount of brake..whatever the case may be...and you're eating it big time.

I hope the guy pulls through ok. I wish him a speedy recovery.

PBS

13. stryker

stryker New Member

wow, that is a very profound and heart touching exerpt. I said a special prayer for Ken and family at church last sunday. We will keep them in our prayers.

14. silverspot

Denmo - Thanks for posting that update from today.

If anyone else wants to keep updated, just visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kenkrieger

You can post a note in the guestbook on CaringBridge if you'd like. I'm sure that Kris (Ken's wife) would appreciated it!

Peace -

15. denmother

10/7 Update

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:40 AM, PDT

By yesterday afternoon, the paralyzing meds were done and Ken is now in a "lighter" coma. I did see him move his mouth briefly. In this stage he is able to move more, but his brain is still partially asleep.

Early this morning they took him to CAT scan; I am anticipating getting some news about the swelling and bleeding later today.

He is struggling with shivers. I do not think that I totally understand it, but they have him in a cooler blanket and a warmer blanket to regulate his body temp. I saw the shivers on the monitor when he was in a paralytic coma, but now his body is able to move more - they are not small goose bumps. When they give him meds to calm the muscles it stops them, but when it wears off, they are back. The shivers use energy and increase brain pressures.

Ken's lungs are not doing great. They are suctioning every day and still show signs of pneumonia and trauma.

Personally, these next couple of weeks I anticipate are going to be very emotionally tough, if yesterday was any indication. There is still a ton of wait and see, but as they start making changes to meds, etc. and his body is able to react, it is difficult to stand by and not want to jump in and rescue.

The medical team is doing everything that they can for a successful recovery. The hardest part is sitting, waiting, and watching God to do his part as the Great Physician. His timing is perfect...

16. whybother

whybother New Member

brings back lots of memories. hope she doesn't have to go through what we did. we were going through what she is for 9 months.

sounds like his injuries are significant. at that level permanent damage is very likely. head/brain injuries suck for the individual and their families.

17. denmother

10/8 Update

Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:47 AM, PDT

The CAT scan revealed that the swelling has not subsided at this point but that the bleeding may be getting slightly better. They will be taking another scan again this morning as a comparison.

For us it means that we are in a holding pattern, for now. With his cranial pressures being stable, it was thought that the CAT scan would show improvement in the swelling. We are not ready to turn the corner and progress forward, yet.

It should not surprise me that Ken is busy writing his "own book" - not the typical pattern or direction of care. Kaitlyn is still working on her "own book" in regards to her cardiac condition and the apple does not fall far from the tree.

It is hard for us, that are not writing, to wait for the next page to be revealed and see how it fits into the story. There is comfort and peace in knowing that God is writing the story. He asks us to sit and wait for when He is ready to reveal the next sentence, page, and chapter.

There is alway a purpose in God's stories and His ways are best. I do not know why God is writing this chapter into our lives - and I may never this side of heaven, but we are steadfastly holding onto His anchor as we read the story together.

18. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

My prayers are with Kenny and family. We used to ride together, but our styles changed over the years and I only see him once or twice a year. When I first heard about this, my heart trembled. His family has enough issues going on. Kris (Kenny's wife) is an amazing woman. Her strength is a 1000 fold. Kenny, I know you can feel the mtn biking community backing you up. You and your family are in our prayers. Heal quick my friend!

19. silverspot

10/9 Update

Friday, October 9, 2009 2:58 PM, PDT

This morning we met with the Case Manager and discussed what the next "phase" will include and possibly look like.

We have taken a step forward. This afternoon they removed the cranial probe and have started reducing the sedation. They are beginning the process of Ken waking up. This could take a week or two, depending on him - everyone is different. He is "generally responding" to some pain and has moved his arm and leg on one side (he is not conscience of the movement - think reflex action).

So, in some ways we are still waiting. But, during this time we will begin slowly stimulating his brain - favorite music, move his arms, familiar voice, etc.

For me, my prayer request is strength to walk through this very emotional phase - you know it will be challenging when the Case Manager says it out loud.

20. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    My family will keep Ken in our prayers.

Psalms 103:2-5, 11 (NIV)
    "Praise the Lord, oh my soul and forget not all his benefits.
    Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
    Who redeems your life from the pit, and crowns you with love and compassion,
    Who satisfies your desires with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."

(11)"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him".

God is good and in control. He will bring Ken's family peace and comfort during this difficult time.

JEFF