Rock It Takes Another Rider Today

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mingo1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. daveRR

daveRR New Member

My prayers to Ken & his family during this difficult time. I believe that Ken is in very good hands with Dr. Massoudi.

2. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    seems like a long time has passed since the fall, but light is shining ahead and all of us fellow bikers are giving wishes and prayers of support to the whole family! Thnx for the updates and I hope to make it to the ride!

3. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

10/31 Update

Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:37 AM, PDT

Yesterday was full of new movement for Ken. First they got him up and dressed - much better than the hospital garb. The PT and OT sat Ken up in a wheelchair for 30 minutes - they had to negotiate with him the time. He ended up not feeling well, but kept his part of the bargain. It was enough for the day and he spent the balance of the day in bed recuperating - sleeping off and on.

His blood pressure gets fairly high when he is sitting up and it seems to be a trend that is staying even when they put him back to bed. He is taking blood pressure meds, but he must still live through not feeling well - giant headache, room spinning, and nausea.

Yesterday, the staff had their Halloween costume party and contest, so everyone was dressed up. Ken seemed to be amused by them. I had only met people for the first time the day before, and had to find the Director of Nursing to send me to the right nurse. They do not wear name badges and with costumes on, it was like a test :)

I was good to see the staff, residents, and families enjoy their time together. They really work hard to communicate and collect information about the resident and their families, they are easily available for questions and concerns, and noticeably enjoy working together for the common goal.

As I have the opportunity to spend time and meet the staff, residents, and families, I hope to be listening to their stories and their lives. In my devotional today "Jesus Calling", I was reflecting on God asking me to "Learn to listen to Me while you are listening to other people."

I need to ask Him to help me think through Him, live through Him, and love through Him. It is the Holy Spirit that empowers your listening and speaking...so, that my response to people is appropriate - including the girls. :) I can be a channel of God's love, joy, and peace by listening to Him when I listen to others.

I have to admit that these past few days of transition have been heavy and difficult - my body is telling me so (struggling to sleep and neck/shoulder pain). I know that God put Ken in the right place, it is just me getting through my part. And, quite frankly it never seems to end just continue to change, but I think that God is asking me to just hang tight for the journey He has set before us.

You are such a blessing to us and thank you for allowing me to share with you "real life with the Krieger's".

4. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Monday, November 2, 2009 6:07 AM, PST

The weekend brought rest for Ken, a TV (thank you Adam and Scott) and DVD's to watch (thank you Sheila and KT).

Official therapy seems to take a break on the weekends, but for Ken just getting dressed and up in a wheelchair is therapy. It takes time and energy which then requires a long nap. I did get to see his eyes open Sunday morning, but found after about 1 1/2 hours he was ready for a nap.

That was enough for the day and he spent the balance of it awake for short periods of time and then asleep. The nurse confirmed for me that this time of sleep is just as important as the therapy. It is a time for quiet and healing of his brain. As he progresses and gains strength, his awake time will increase. The afternoons are spent resting, for all of the residents, as therapy is hard work.

He was able to sit outside under a big oak tree on Saturday and enjoy the fresh air. Because he enjoys the outdoors, the opportunity to just sit outside will be healing for him. On Sunday he did not want to go outside so we just sat and enjoyed the view through the big pane glass windows.

As I am writing this morning, I am drinking coffee out of a mug Ken gave me as a gift from his biking trip to Whistler this summer. It makes me think of how much he loved to be outside and ride. How he challenged himself to work hard to accomplish something that was not a natural talent. He persevered when it was hard and difficult.

We are feeling the emptiness and sadness in the house - yesterday for the girls and today it's my turn. Just the need for Dad to be here with us. So, as I opened my devotional (Jesus Calling) God used it to speak to me. "Do not condemn yourself for your constant need of help. Instead, come to Me with your gaping neediness; let the Light of My Love fill you."

I should not be, but I am always amazed at how it fits for where I am today. I am feeling the neediness that only the love of Christ can fill and thanking Him for meeting me where I am at today.

5. denmother

Update 11/3

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:40 AM, PST

Monday brought the kind of therapy that we just assume we will always be able to do - sitting in an upright position. I never really thought about it until seeing Ken persevere to do something that seems so simple.

In the morning, he was dressed and in the wheelchair, but his blood pressure ended up being too high. He felt nauseated and had a giant headache. So, back to bed, meds, and sleep for several hours in order to feel better.

Getting high blood pressure while sitting seems to be a reoccurring theme and somewhat unusual - lower pressure is more common. The therapists and nurses came up a plan to see if they could get him up without the blood pressure going wacky. So, in the late afternoon, they tried it and it worked. He was able to sit in his wheelchair for 1-1 1/2 hours without feeling sick.

He is still doing well in understanding what is going on in the moment and using his long term memory for facts. He has been whispering short sentences when needed and he is not too tired.

For me, yesterday brought front and center how many small things intertwine in our body to make us move, talk, breathe, etc. And, how when one is out of sync the others are affected. It also reminded me that this journey is slow-paced and somewhat methodical - the turtle did win in the end.

And, once again God used this devotional to put it in perspective for me... "Every time something thwarts your plans or desires, use that as a reminder to communicate with Me. Another benefit is that disappointments, instead of dragging you down, are transformed into opportunities for good. This transformation removes the sting from difficult circumstances, making it possible to be joyful in the midst of adversity."

Frustration is easy; Patience is hard; Discouragement is easy; Joyful is a choice. Choosing to be joyful today midst the adversity...

6. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    thanks for the link, I just gave $10. Not much, but if everyone did...

I get tears in my eyes thinking about if this happened to me and how my family would cope. I truly wish you guys the best with everything.

7. Uplander

Uplander Bring it!

Strength

I wish him and his family lot's of strength in this new journey[-o-]

8. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    i suspect there are many great stories of recovery but just came across this one this morning and thought would share to perhaps shed some add'l hope for Ken and his family for a full recovery that may include rubber on dirt in the future!!!!

Healing vibes and know STR is pulling for you Ken

article abstract and link to full story below.

Grace Ueng doesn't remember the accident. In September 2005, just before her 40th birthday, she was racing down Sonoma Mountain in Sonom County, California.
    A motorcyclist found her lying unconscious; Ueng had broken her neck and suffered a brain injury that temporarily robbed her of short-term memory. The cause of the accident was never determined, but Ueng, an avid athlete who had competed in triathlons, speculates that she hit a rough patch of road and lost control. After months of physical and cognitive therapy, Ueng was back to running, swimming, and working with clients at her consulting firm, Savvy Marketing Group, in Research Triangle Park in North Carolina. Getting back on the bike was harder. Last March, she participated in her first outdoor cycling event since the accident, riding with her former triathlon coach, Paul Nowicki, also pictured here. "The bike represents a comeback to me," she says. "The ripple effect of my accident has been a revived passion for life."

link to full article -> http://www.inc.com/magazine/20091001/ceo-passions-outdoor-cycling.html

9. denmother

Update 11/4

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:24 AM, PST

Yesterday was a significant milestone - they took out Ken's trach in the morning.

I am sure that he will be happy about having it gone once he realizes how much easier certain activities will be. The speech therapist believes that he will talk more without it and we can now concentrate more on the swallowing. With the trach in, it has a pressure feel and a bit of a vibration feel when you speak, therefore it is not comfortable.

I'll admit, it was a huge emotional moment for me when they told me. The trach is a safety net for me - breathing and not aspirating. He has had it for 4 weeks and was on a ventilator before that. It is a strange place to be...knowing you are moving forward and yet, apprehensive about moving forward.

The afternoon brought OT and PT to work on sitting up and walking. Yes, you read that right. Ken was able to walk with assistance about 15 feet. His brain has not quite coordinated his feet, but I am excited that they are willing to get him up, moving, and try. More importantly, Ken is willing to participate unless he is feeling really bad. All of that work called for another nap :)

I had an "ah ha" moment in the afternoon that really helped me to understand a little more about how Ken's brain is working right now. He does not have short term memory. For instance, he does not know what the date is today because he has not retained the date from yesterday. With that in mind, he has to try and reorientate himself to where he is constantly.

And, it is tiring for him. We were visiting with a family friend and about 10 minutes into the conversation, he rolled over and went to sleep. His brain had enough and needed to shut down.

It is interesting how each day brings something new and unexpected. I am wired as a planner; I like a direction, plan, big picture; I like lists and to cross off the items every day (I know some of you can relate). But, I am wired as an arranger too - meaning when the unexpected comes my way, my brain automatically rearranges and comes up with a new plan. I have found it rather helpful in our current life journey...God knew before time began.

I am feeling the "stretch" of thinking about our plan for life over the next several months and yet still need to live in the day. And yes, I am wondering how I will traverse through the daily stuff. I do not know the details on how - it is rather overwhelming when you really think about it. I do know that I will continue to trust God to provide the direction, the details, and the answers.

God has used all of you to be part of His provision - whether it is an encouraging word, prayer, or practical needs met. You are a blessing to us!

10. denmother

Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:29 AM, PST

Yesterday marked the end of the first week at our new location. In some ways it feels like we have been there for much longer and I think that is due to the staff and families being so welcoming and friendly. But, in many ways if feels like we are just getting a handle on what is to come in the months ahead.

We have seen such progress from where we were a week ago - technically a stage 3 coma patient. I admit I have been amazed at the how far God has taken us working through the nurses and therapists.

Yesterday was a quiet day for Ken. He did get up in the morning and spend some time with the OT, but was back in bed shortly afterwards. He must have worked hard because I saw his eyes for a very short time and then he went to sleep. He slept for 5 hours - I guess that his body and brain needed it.

We were all in that quiet place yesterday. I think that is how families work - they are intertwined and connected; they know where each other is at emotionally and physically; they know when to just listen or when it is a teaching moment.

It can be discouraging to see Ken for only a few moments and then watch him sleep. But, God in His wisdom this morning had this for me, "If you are going to be used by God, He will take you through a number of experiences that are not meant for you personally at all. They are designed to make you useful in His hands, and to enable you to understand what takes place in the lives of others."

I am not sure that watching Ken sleep is a personal experience for me, but I do know that my desire is to be used by God however He sees fit. Although I do not like the experience or recommend it, if the experience makes me useful for God's purposes then it worth every moment of it.

And, a final note...
    I would like to share with you the information for an upcoming bike ride that our mountain bike family has put together. Everyone is welcome and you do not need to be an advanced or expert rider to participate.

8am, Aliso, Sat Nov 14!!!***
    Hey gang...
    Come join us on the K.R.A.S.H. (Ken's Recovery And Swift Healing) Ride!
    For those of you not familiar with Ken's situation, please read here: Rock It Takes Another Rider TodaySTR is a strong, close-knit community and I'm sure this event will prove that yet again! Let's get together and ride for Ken since he isn't quite able to get back on the bike yet himself!

We will meet at the main parking lot of Aliso/Woods Canyon, just off of Awma Rd:
    Aliso And Wood Canyons Wilderness Park
    28373 Alicia Parkway
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
    (949)923-2200
    Parking is $3 per car. Limited free parking is also available on local streets in the area.

If you're so inclined, feel free to bring "Get Well Soon" cards/gifts/gift cards for Ken and his family; I will be bringing them to the rehab house and they will no doubt lift his spirits! There will also be a GIANT Get-Well-Soon card for us to ALL sign. I'd really love to get a TON of signatures - please try your best to make it!
    Please plan on arriving between 7:30 - 8:00AM to give ample time to collect and sign the 'get well' cards

We will most likely have two groups for this ride - Group #1 will climb either Meadows or Mathis and meet up with Group #2 at the top of Rockit. Group #2 will ride out Coyote then up Cholla and meet up with group #1 at the top of Rockit. Once both groups have assembled, we will all descend Rockit together.

If you can't make the ride (or even if you CAN make the ride) but wish to donate something to the Krieger family, you can donate via PayPal here:
    Krieger Family Donations

11. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    [-o-]Prayers going up for ken.

12. denmother

Friday, November 6, 2009 6:50 AM, PST

Yesterday, Ken made up for all that sleeping the day before. He had a great day with the Carol, the speech therapist.

The focus for the day was on swallowing. He ate some cheerios and milk for breakfast. He did not have any trouble with the chewing or swallowing. It did not take much though for his stomach not to feel well with food in it, so they gave him some ginger tea. It seemed to do the trick. He will continue to get it daily to help the nausea feeling.

Carol explained that we will need to take baby steps with his stomach nausea and being easily fatigued from eating. He has not had food in his stomach for 6 weeks so it has shrunk and needs time to adjust.

Our goal, for now, is to work on eating soft foods and building the endurance to finish a meal. He will continue tube feedings until he is able to get enough nutrition in him. As he is able to eat more, they will reduce the amount of nutrition through the feeding tube.

It was a blessing to see Carol and the staff so excited with his progress. When I arrived in the afternoon, they quickly found and told me that Ken had eaten for the first time, with lots of details. They were such an encouragement to me - especially after Wednesday seeing Ken sleep so much.

Ken is moving along at a quick pace as far as seeing physical areas coming back "online". God has been very gracious to us in propelling Ken along at this pace. There is still so much ground to cover and they warn you about hitting the plateau. It is exciting to watch, but there is always the lingering question will today be the day the plateau comes.

Today, I have a couple of specific prayer requests:
    For Ken that God will help him through the frustration of his body not working the same way; the ability to get the high blood pressure under control or how to reduce the symptoms - this greatly effects his ability to do any type of therapy; and mentally give him comfort and strength.

Thank you for walking our journey with us today...

13. denmother

11/10 Update

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:47 AM, PST

The past few days have seen days of rest and periods of hard working therapy. There seems to be a pattern emerging - a whole day of resting after a day of therapy.

For therapy, we are working on the foundational items - sitting in a chair, standing, walking, eating, talking, etc. Ken is progressing along in each of the areas. They are working to build stamina and strength. The simple act of getting from a laying position to a sitting position takes a lot of energy - both mental and physical.

The therapists are really pushing him to his limits and that is good. Yesterday, his PT walked with him from his room to the outside and walk the path around the backyard. Ken stopped a few times to rest and close to the end he lost all steam. He got a ride back in his wheelchair to the house. When I asked him what he did for therapy he was not able to tell me, but said it was hard.

On Saturday I spent several hours with the dietician working on a food plan. I had no idea that the simple act of feeding your body is quite complicated - calorie intake, type of food, and food likes/dislikes. Ken is now able to eat "mechanical soft" foods for his meals.

While this is a good step forward, he is struggling with not being able to eat enough food. Because his stomach has not seen food for many weeks, it is has shrunk and is throwing a bit of a tantrum by making Ken feel nauseated after only a few bites. And, nothing tastes particularly good or even sounds good to eat; he fatigues just eating. They are continuing to tube feed at night so that during the day he will be hungry and want to eat.

Ken is frustrated at his body and most of the time does not feel well - either a headache or his body just aches. The hope is the more he is able to get up and move the better adjusted his body will be. The brain controls all of our functions and getting the blood pressure to adjust correctly from a laying down to a standing is a big job. With a brain injury, it intensifies all of the functions that it normally does quickly; we do not realize it is even happening.

I told Ken last night that I think that my body and brain are somehow attached to his - it must be the almost 20 yrs of marriage. It takes a lot of energy to stay focused on the task at hand and not to feel overwhelmed by life's "to do" list. I can totally relate to him just shutting down, rolling over, and going to sleep when it is too much. While I cannot do that, I can certainly understand why he does it. Unfortunately, my brain does not seem to shut off - day or night.

The last few days have been mentally challenging for me. And because God is who He says He is, he used my devotional this morning to continue to steer me to Him. "Focus your entire being on My living Presence. I am most assuredly with you, enveloping you in My Love and Peace...Every moment is precious if you keep your focus on Me. Any day can be a good day, because My Presence permeates all the time."

Jude 24-25
    "To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy - to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen"

14. silverspot

11/11 Update

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:16 AM, PST

Tuesday was a rough road for Ken. He did not feel well Monday night after I left and was up with nausea off and on throughout the night. Yesterday, he was able to participate in a limited amount of therapy - kicking a ball, but that was about it.

He was not able to eat anything yesterday and was not able to keep the tube feeding down either. He cannot afford to lose any more weight, so they changed the feeding to go directly into his intestines and bypass the stomach.

Last night I asked Ken if I could bring him something from home or if anything sounded good to eat. His response, "I would like a new body." It is both physically and mentally draining to spend most of the time battling headaches, nausea, and generally feeling bad.

They said these difficult days will come...the mom and wife in me wants to make it all better, pick up the pieces, and move on quickly through. Ken is physically challenged in this area and there are no quick fixes. God reminded me the that He wants us to depend, lean, and release to Him the timing and circumstances; to use the hurdles to bring glory to Him; to use all circumstances to point others to the power in His name.
    The Jesus Calling devotional this morning..."I know what each of your days will contain, and I empower you accordingly. The degree to which I strengthen you on a given day is based mainly on two variables: the difficulty of your circumstances, and your willingness to depend on Me for help."

We all face challenges and difficult circumstances, ours just look different than yours. Each day God asks us are you willing to depend on Me to get through it. Some days are harder than other to say "yes". It is tempting to want to direct my own circumstances or become self-focused and wallow in them. But, if my eyes are directed and focused correctly on God, we can get through the day, no matter what it may bring.

Thank you for being our prayer partners through the journey - the crisis, the difficult times, and rejoicing with us as we move forward.

15. Bowbender

Bowbender New Member

I'll let you know when I grow up!
    Wow! Just found this thread and all I can say is Ken and his family will be in my prayers.

16. silverspot

11/12 Update

Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:53 AM, PST

Wednesday brought a better day, although I cannot say it was top notch. Ken was up for a couple of hours early in the morning and then headed back to bed for a nap mid-morning. He was able to get up a couple of different times, although not for long periods of time.

He did not get much therapy done due to not feeling all that great. It seems that sitting up effects his blood pressure - sometimes the headaches come immediately and other times it is gradually. The headache causes the nausea and it is downhill from there. It takes meds and several hours to recover.

I sat with him at dinner while he ate his 3 bites of pasta - not a good food day either. But, he is willing to continue trying and that can be the hardest part. Today is a new day and full of opportunity...

Romans 8:32
    "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

Am I graciously accepting the blessings that God is giving me or am I balking at His gifts? His blessings are abundant, if I am willing to move myself out of the way and receive them. When I move from self focus, it creates an opening for God to reveal His abundant blessings. "It is not about earning or deserving; it is about believing and receiving." (Jesus Calling)

In the midst of hard circumstances, it is easy to become self focused and miss the gifts God has given. It can be discouraging, tedious, and frustrating. But, by looking back and counting the many gifts that God has given to this point, it reveals that He will continue to take care of the details and give us all that we need - the strength, the grace, and the hope that only comes from Him.

In the midst of the hard stuff...Counting the blessings with a thankful heart.

17. 1speed.

1speed. New Member

Doctor of Chiropractic
    This post is for Ken's wife - I've been following your heartbreaking saga since inception. My wife and i live in Aliso Viejo and have been riders for quite some time. The night we saw the helicopter(s) over Rock-it we hoped the injuries of the unfortunate rider were minmal, unfortunately they were not.

We were heartened to read about Ken's pulling through but we see how long this recovery will take. Although I don't know Ken personally i'm pretty certain we have passed and "how ya doin?" eachother at one point or another.

I've never posted on STR before but I feel compelled to do so now and offer some help in a small way to you and perhaps Ken later down the road. I have an office in Laguna Hills and I have under my employ 2 of the best massage therapists around and so after reading one of your posts about your "aching back and neck" I thought that I might be able to help out. All you need to do is contact me and I will set an hour massage appointment up for you - gratis of course. If you can't leave Ken then perhaps I can arrange my MT to come to you. Also, if you feel Ken could take and benefit from the therapy we would be happy to come to him as well.

Allow me to help out a brother biker and his family and do this for you. Ken and the kids need you healthy and pain-free. While your dedication and unwaving faith are indeed exceptional and inspirational don't forget about your own health! I'll be waiting to hear from you but if you feel uncomfortable in any way with my offer I will understand - just remeber we are a community of extended family here to help and serve oneanother.

Best wishes for Ken's recovery,

Brian
    www.brownleychiro.com

18. silverspot

Brian - I forwarded your message to Ken's wife.

19. 1speed.

1speed. New Member

Doctor of Chiropractic
    Thanks Silver!

20. silverspot

11/13 Update

Friday, November 13, 2009 6:17 AM, PST

Thursday was tiring for Ken, but a better day than the previous couple of days. He was up early in the morning and then down for a mid-morning nap. He is having trouble staying asleep at night and I can totally relate.

When I arrived for our family conference, he was awake and sitting at the table waiting for me. I appreciated that although he was not feeling his best, he knew that I would love to see him with his eyes open. I told him that I have seen him with his eyes closed more often than open, but we are going to work on changing that. He just smiled at me...

Our family conference was a time for each therapist and nursing to give me an overview of where Ken is at and some goals that they are working towards. In general, he has made huge progress during the two weeks he has been there.

There are some medical issues, not major ones, that we are still addressing - mostly the blood pressure and other med adjustments. We will be seeing the neurosurgeon in the next couple of weeks for a follow up and see what the thought is regarding replacing the flap that they took out.

The therapists all agree that everyday Ken is doing something that he did not do the day before. Yesterday, while we were meeting, he sat and flipped through the newspaper (he chose to opt out of the meeting). There are deficits in areas, but nothing that they feel cannot be remediated.

One of Ken's biggest hurdles, at this time, is endurance and stamina. Those areas just take time and as he is able to eat more, the hope is that it will improve. As that endurance improves, it will give him more time in therapy, too.

It was all encouraging news and when I told Ken about it, it was good news to him, too. I have been at that place - not so long ago, where you are waiting anxiously for the outcome. But, once you know the information, it then allows you to process.

We were certainly blessed by God with the encouraging news. The long road still lies ahead and I know there will be times of discouragement and frustration. But, as we walk hand in hand with God leading the way, we will get through every valley and over every hill.

Reminder...
    Everyone is welcome to join the mountain bike community tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 14th. You do not need to be an expert rider, just someone who loves to be outdoors and would like to join others who have a passion, like Ken, for mountain biking.

***8am, Aliso, Sat Nov 14!!!***

Hey gang...

Come join us on the K.R.A.S.H. (Ken's Recovery And Swift Healing) Ride!

We will meet at the main parking lot of Aliso/Woods Canyon, just off of Awma Rd:
    Aliso And Wood Canyons Wilderness Park
    28373 Alicia Parkway
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
    (949)923-2200

Parking is $3 per car. Limited free parking is also available on local streets in the area.

If you're so inclined, feel free to bring "Get Well Soon" cards/gifts/gift cards for Ken and his family; I will be bringing them to the rehab house and they will no doubt lift his spirits! There will also be a GIANT Get-Well-Soon card for us to ALL sign. I'd really love to get a TON of signatures - please try your best to make it! Please plan on arriving between 7:30 - 8:00AM to give ample time to collect and sign the 'get well' cards.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. You are truly a blessing from God to us. We appreciate you!