roadie syndrome getting worse

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by FyrFytrRyn, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Im sure Bell/Giro is excited when you hit a year as well.... 'Mo Money!!!! :D

2. b-rad!

b-rad! Ski Bum

Hey, when the nurses at the ER recognize me, ill part with the 100 bux on a new helmet, just to be sure.

3. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I got my road bike just before Christmas. Since then I have ridden my MTB less than 10 times, maybe less than 5 times. I rode Chilao a few weeks ago and that was the first time since March I think. I loved it, but it was different. I had a blast but didn't feel as challenged physically. The trail challenged me technically but not physically. Any more I am into that more. I love pushing myself further physically.

Also it is so easy to head out for a quick road ride for an hour and burn 1,000 calories. Just throw on the cloths and walk out the door. No filling up a bladder, no driving, no stupid adventure pass. The road bike requires so much less maintenance and replacement of broken/worn out parts. I used to replace crap all the time on my MTB and had to deep clean the bike or fiddle with my derailleurs all the time. There is note of that with the road bike.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You're all scum...get back to the dirt!

Dean

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Challange

Get a SS:bang:

I have a buddy that rides road and says he gets challanged more and workes harder on a m-bike#-o

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I also have a singlespeed mtb to go along with my road bike. The SS still requires more work. I like to ride clean bikes. My roadie practically never gets dirty, while my SS requires a wash after every ride. The SS also needs to have the chain cleaned and lubed a lot more frequently than the roadie.

Even better is a cross bike. I can easily leave my house to do a road ride, then do a quick lap on the Fullerton Loop before heading home - the best of both worlds. And since the cross bike has brake levers on the tops, I can still enjoy riding wheelies on it. :bang:

7. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    Appropiate subject for me. I bought a road bike 2 months ago and have been riding it once maybe twice a week.
    Its 2 different sports, MTB gets you out in the hills/mountains and you are in awesome scenery, its quiet, and you get to see wildlife and its a challenge.

If you eat s@#$ you are on your own, and there is not help within seconds from a passing car, on the road.
    I try to mix it up, and alternate between road and mountain now that I have the pleasure of owning both.
    The intensity level on MTB at least for me, is a lot higher, climbing a singletrack or a mean fireroad is tough as hell. There is so much more resistance on a MTB bike, bigger tires, heavier rig, lost energy in the suspension and of course rocks and ruts wanting to stop your upward progress. I have been doing hills climbs in Aliso for the past few weeks at night and, to me, its so much easier. Thats not to say that any Yahoo can go out and ride 60 miles in hilly terrain on a roadie, but if you have MTB background, being on the road is less difficult.
    All that said, I really enjoy both, for what they have to offer. Yes, road riding logistically is much easier, just suit up, and go. Even after dark its not a problem, going solo.
    Bottom line, do what you enyoy. I love them both.:wave:

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I think I need to pull the rodie out and go for a ride... it has been a long time

9. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    The weight loss with riding road compared to MTB has been significant for me personally. I rode dirt regularly, pretty much every weekend, for 4 years. I didn't really loose any weight but I didn't gain either. I got in great cardiovascular shape but no weight loss. Within 6 months of riding road I have dropped about 15 pounds.

MTB I would average about 170s-180s BPM on long climbs and 160s BPM for an average ride for 4 hours or so. On the road I will average 140s-150s BPM but also like to ride centuries. Nothing like burning 7,000 on a 7 hour ride. The ability to be moving on a bike for 7 hours is just awesome to me. Nothing like it.

I was also starting to get board of riding MTB. The only thing I miss are the people I rode with (Scott, Dean, Vic, Krisztian, etc.). Many of my personal challenges had been accomplished. The stuff that scared the crap out of me four years or even two years ago I was cleaning regularly.

I simply needed a new challenge and a century a month for a year was exactly what I needed. I'm contemplating going for the California Triple Crown (three doubles in one calendar year) next year. Call me vain but I really want that jersey.

10. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    It's the Tour de France...It happens every year at this time. The other day heading up to Mt Baldy there must have been over 50 riders up and down the hill.

Then they all fade away for awhile til next year :lol:

Ryan, you need to visit the dirt immediately!

11. andino

andino dirt tastes funny

Student
    umm #-o...i'm using an atmos as well for mountain biking because it fits so nicely :D

12. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    See? I ain't the only one! :bang:

13. Ricky

Ricky VIVA HIERRO CABALLO!!

Student
    Don't worry it's totally normal...:clap: haha... i'm a roadie convert, and i would never give up my tight jersey and shorts... although the dirt is pretty fun...:bang:

14. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    i share your sickness. have ridden road the last 5 days in a row (today should make 6...

BUT

did ride Hillyer/ Chilao, et al both Saturday and Monday, and to me- that is still the bestest. nuthin compares to pine trees and single track

15. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Im gonna take my roadie out today for a quick spin somewhere

16. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Very few here have put on the miles on the road that I have so far this year. I just got back from a 500 mile ride and I feel Great!!! Riding road, is different then mountain. Almost an entirely different sport in my book, but I love them both. I feel sorry for those guys that have some phobia about riding road. It is a blast! Road bikes are sold 5 to 1 over mountain bikes, but mountain biking is my preference when it comes to biking. Tis last ride was over 20,000 strong and was like a moving Woodstock. Un-freekin-believeable.

17. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

As long as you're having fun on a bike, who cares what kind of bike it is? I'm actualy eager to get back on my mountain bike, I havent seen dirt or singletrack for at least a few months.

Road is my first love, but there is something great about mountain biking, especially well groomed single track and night rides.

18. CeeDubb

CeeDubb 9.8m/secĀ² - It's the law

Replay Timing
    Home Page:
    Exactly! Well said.

The mountain vs road debate will go on for all time. Everyone has their preferences and their opinions.

I love riding both on and off-road and know that being on two wheels and moving under your own power is great...period!

_ _ _ _ _
    S54MCoupe...I think you need to put "Fear the stretchy pants" in your signature. It's so menacing!

19. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd just like to state for the record that Justin purchased a red/black/white Atmos on Saturday!! ROADIE!

...I got Shimano carbon soled road shoes and ROAD pedals! Speedplay Zero composites... Have yet to try them out, but I think I'll have to take a spin tonight... don't want to kill myself on the way to work tomorrow :D

20. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Best quote yet.

I ride both. 75% dirt, 20% road, 5% concrete (I also ride my hardtail in the local skateparks) Having fun is the only thing that counts.