Road Ride this Sat 7/25

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Tri_Danimal, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    Burn!

Burn

2. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Fun ride! Heres some pics..... I was in the Dos Equis jersey and rode the fixed gear

Attached Files:

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Man, am I ever out of shape. I was thinking the ride was going to be a cruise but it turned out to be a hammerfest. We comeout to the SART mount up and take off and the pace goes right up to 25mph. WTF happen to cruising? I've been off the road bike a lot so I was thinking , well, it is mountain bikers they shouldn't be that fast,right?

Even though I had a great time C'ommmmmm on!

Chris and I turned off at the SART on the way back from the Wedge as I was starting to cramp up already and didn't need the extra 20 miles. I still averaged 17.5 on the way back though. You guys probably were closer to 25.

4. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I didnt see it posted so for those reading this thread and wondering how far this ride is its 58 miles from the parking area by the golf course off green river to the sand and back. Looks like you guys had fun I may do this tomorrow depending on my evening :)

5. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    ....man I am hurting.... I'll post up a decent recount of my day later, but it was really cool to ride with such a big pack of riders....

6. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Fun ride everyone. First time on this part of the River trail and enjoyed the scenery. It was hotter than I expected and started to feel it. Thanks Nick for the pull. Great meeting some new people and finally putting faces to names. Thanks to Sperminator for setting it up! Must do it again.
    Chris

7. Bomber

Bomber Glenn

Boeing KC-46 program and retired from USAFR
    I'm in too much pain to type. But I did have fun.

8. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    Had a great time. Found out that nice mountain bikers turn into dicks in spandex who will drop you like a bad habit if you can't keep up...but I still love you guys. :beer:

I need to rethink this road pedal thing as my eggbeaters seem to be destroying the cartilage in my right knee. (at least I think that's what caused the excruciating pain that made me bail and call my wife at Angels Stadium)

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

Jox2, myself, and Jay turned it into a century. Duke777, Chewy, and Sperminator got 97. The 15 or so other people we had all had variations, and Jeff aka J_Sims was probably around 130. :eek:

RR being written now.

10. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    Cool pic from the wedge this morning....

Attached Files:

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Here's the email I sent to my roadie friend who moved to Sacramento area:

Today we had a group of mountain bikers who decided they wanted to do a road ride.15 of them showed up.Now I know I haven't been riding much but I thought these guys are mountain bikers and although similar, as you know you use muscles differently, so I thought I'd do fine even though I've logged less then 500 miles for the year on my road bike. We met at Yorba Linda Park even better for me as this would make it even a shorter ride and I could get home and do some honey-do's.So right out the gate the guys take off. I look down at my computer and we are at 25 mph.Holy shit, I hope these guys are going to slow down because even when I was in shape I couldn't maintain 25 all the way to the beach. So I figured I could hang till we got to the restrooms but about a bridge or two before we got there I fell off. So I thought it's okay I'll recover soon enough. By now almost the entire group has gone by and I'm not recovering like I did last year. So we regroup at the restrooms and I feel a little better. The group goes out again and I'm hoping they got it out of their system and maybe we will get to a pace that's more my speed (slow like around 18 to 20 mph). But nope,they're off again and we are back up to 25 before you know it. I hang for a while but eventually almost the whole group goes by but by now we are less then 3 miles from the beach. I grab a wheel and ride in with the stragglers. We regrouped at the restrooms at the beach and decide to hit the Wedge to see the big waves. And they were big. I think we were there around 15 minutes and only seen a couple body boarders catch waves. Very impressive to say the least.There was a huge crowd there watching.

Now getting down there was a little difficult with all the traffic and there were a couple close calls but overall it went pretty smooth with this big of a group. We did a lot of hootin & hollerin and the group was having a lot of fun. So we headed back up to PCH and I heard the guys had decided to go up to Main St in Seal Beach for lunch. My legs were starting to cramp and the pace was staying high so I decided to just take the SART back and to skip lunch.I told one of the other riders to let the group know and Chris and I went up the SART. Glad I did as I started to cramp up in Santa Ana but after I slowed down to around 16 mph they went away.

Overall a very fun ride but I can't believe how much I've lost. I guess I need to get in some more road work. But those flockers almost tore my legs off.

12. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

amazing day! LOL

Jay, myself, sperminator, and qball started from my house in corona... got a nice 11 mile warm up when we met up at at YRP. Then the hammer fest and quick learning curve LOL. Being my first road ride EVER, and first time riding in a group, had to learn quick. By the end of the day, i think we got it covered LOL.

Serious... the 'A group' was pulling 26 mph at times. Guys, much respect. I fell off at warner and pedaled for 15 minutes between groups all by myself LOL.

the wedge was MACKING! good scenery along the way too! "RABBLE RABBLE AWWW!!!" lol...

Jsims said it best as we were chasing the quick guys down pch, he was 90 miles in and we are pulling 27 mph... "uh, not so much" lol.

I was feeling great, until mile 82... started to cramp in the calves. Q ball hooked me up with mustard and pickle relish. worked for a while, but needed to take one every 4 miles or so! started cramping up the green river climb. we raided a circle k liquor store and jacked like 9000 pickle and mustard packets.

overall, great day, AMAZING first time on a road bike, fresh bike good times!
    98 miles. 9000 Calories. 2400 ft climbing. LOL.

I'm definitely in for future rides.

how are you feeling man? you were in pretty rough shape at angel stadium on the way back. Get fitted when you get your pedals. I'm sure you can get it dialed with the right fit, float and pedal combo

13. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

I'm doing allright. Legs not as swollen as I thought it would be from the pain. I was trying to go easy and make it to the cars but the pain hit about a 7.5 and I went to stop and stretch for a min...and my leg just buckled under my weight and I called it, and the wife right then and there. LOL

All in all I had a great time and I'm so getting road shoes/pedals and a fit.

14. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    WOW what a fun day in in the saddle!

After my Fully incident I was off the bike for 6 weeks and off road bike and haven't been on any significant ride for about 8 weeks. Felt ok out of at first and then I tried to pull for a while and just blew up, simply did not recover like I did before. It was a struggle getting to the beach and getting dropped almost every turn.

New port was fun and we had our very own critical mass.:lol: And the fish tacos at sunset beach is DA BOMB!

Bit of struggle climbing back to Chewy's house but had the blast the entire time. After we got and realized HOLLY COW it's 5pm already. We left around 7:15.

It was nice meeting many new faces as well as see some familiar faces that I have not seen in a while.

In case I have not said it before....it was a blast and even with all the pain we all still had huge smiles.\\:D/

15. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

16. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    WOW what a fun day in in the saddle!

After my Fully incident I was off the bike for 6 weeks and off road bike and haven't been on any significant ride for about 8 weeks. Felt ok out of at first and then I tried to pull for a while and just blew up, simply did not recover like I did before. It was a struggle getting to the beach and getting dropped almost every turn. WTF I thought this is a boos cruise.:?:

Then we decided to check out the new port wedge. That was fun and we had our very own critical mass newport chapter.:lol: And then Chew has this bright idea of adding another 20 miles to the route by getting fish tacos at sunset beach......they are GOOD!

Bit of struggle climbing back to Chewy's house but had the blast the entire time. After we got and realized HOLLY COW it's 5pm already. We left around 7:15.

It was nice meeting many new faces as well as see some familiar faces that I have not seen in a while.

In case I have not said it before....it was a blast and even with all the pain we all still had huge smiles.\\:D/

17. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Man you all have me scared. Im doing 100 in October. If I dont have a road bike by then, its slicks on the mountain bike.

18. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Don't run stop signs

19. Bomber

Bomber Glenn

Boeing KC-46 program and retired from USAFR
    What a nag!

20. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe