road oriented shops in San Diego review

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by qua77ro, Oct 3, 2008.

1. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

Hi-Tech in Kearny Mesa:
    Pro level shop, high end road/tri bikes. You'll find serotta, Oreba, Guru, Colnago, etc here. Sales staff are helpful, not pushy and they know their stuff. They're probably the second or third most popular shop for tri/road racers. Their fitters are considered to be some of the best in the business, and can get you fitted for custom frames. Their techs are solid and pretty blunt. Good selection of high end gear.

B&L Solana
    High end shop off PCH in Solana Beach. Good selection of high end bikes again. I had a great experience having a problem with the calfee looked at by their techs. They did a ton of work and only charged me 20 bucks. They carry a ton of variety in a relatively small shop. Pretty much a roadie shop, they carry BMC, Look, Specialized, etc. Good selection of clothing for road.

Nytro: Encincitas
    Pro shop, nothing but high end goods here. You won't find an boutique bikes like you will at Hi-Tech. They are a racer oriented shop and carry a huge selection of wheels for competition. They are the premier road/tri shop in town, and their selection/clientel reflect that. Their staff is helpful, non-pushy but don't expect component prices to be cheap. They carry Cervelo, Pinarello, Colnago, felt, litespeed, scott, kuota, etc. Again high end shop with friendly helpful staff. best selection of triathlete equipment (wetsuits, bars, etc) in san diego.

Bicycle Warehouse: Either one
    Low levels of inventory considering the size of their stores. Their staff were friendly the two times we stopped by when we were looking for a road bike for my gf. They weren't pushy, but they weren't that knowledgable imo. Limited clothing and component selection, but prices can be very reasonable. Not a store I'd buy anything from however.

Moment Cyclesport: Point Loma.
    Relatively small shop with a huge return customer base. Big supporter of local triathletes and road racers. Minimal inventory, but a very friendly helpful staff. They didn't hesitate to let me test ride a $6500 Parlee Z3.

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Also add UC Cyclery in there. They sell Specialized, Time, Giant mainly. Great service and the sales staff knows its stuff. They also help host the Saturday SDBC rides.