Road Centuries

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pho'dUp, May 28, 2008.

1. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Klutter, well, we can start in Tustin/Irvine and ride the path towards UCI and work up to El Moro. Ride El Moro and parts of Laguna Coast and back and I know that's like 50miles. Or even better is do it when Bommer Open Spaces is having open house and add Bommer Canyon too.

Or I've ridden from Tustin/Irvine, through Peter's/Santiago Oaks/Weir and then back on the road. That's a good one too.

If you want to get real serious, I'm sure you could link up Blackstar, Coal Canyon, Chino and back. That's getting quite serious.

Come on, you don't want to ride to HJ then bag the peak and ride home with me tomorrow?

2. edlubba

edlubba New Member

I'll only comment on what I've done but I second the Amtrak Century for 1st timers. I ride it every year and it's always enjoyable. Last year it felt like I had a tailwind for pretty much the whole ride.

Plenty of riders out there, so you can join a group and wheel suck all they way to SD. Mostly flat with a few miles of rolling hills. Only pain I felt was at mile 80, where you have to climb the Torrey Pines grade, but even then, it only lasts for a little over a mile.

I disagree with someone who said that anyone doing 50 milers can do a century. If you're pulling 75-80 mi, yah you should be good, but 50 mi. IMO is not enough training.

The Amtrak does sell out quickly if your planning to do it.

3. klutter

klutter Member

Yeah, but then I'll be outside of the Orange bubble and I might get robbed by those thugs, err fine citizens of Riverside County.

Not on the SS I don't.

4. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

I don't recall the County of Riverside filing for bankruptcy in recent memory. Some only let guys in suits rob them, I guess.

5. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Its not the most scenic route but if you want a good 60 mile flat training ride you can park at the golf course off Green River and ride the river bed all the way to the beach. There and back is 60 miles. When I get a rode bike again I will probably be doing this once or twice a week.

6. back of the pack

back of the pack Member

Home Page:
    I agree the Amtrak Century is a great place to start, I have done it the last two years and had a great time. The hill at Torrey Pines is steep but the ice cream at the top make all worth while.
    Just remember to get up early on June 15th to sign up.

7. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    Allison, if you can do Vision Quest, a century should be a piece of cake for you, really. A really nice century that I highly recommend to anyone, is the Mammoth Sierra Fall Century on Sept 6th. Its about 96 miles with 6K of climbing. Beautiful scenery and you can ride MTB the next day at Mammoth. That was my first century last year, and it was tough but I finished in 8 hours, but I only started riding road 2 months before in July.
    As far as unorganized 100 mile rides, I really like the Orange County to Whales V. I mean San Diego ride and then taking the train back. When you get to the train station in downtown, there is a cool brewery/restaurant 2 blocks away. You can eat/drink a couple of cold beers and pass out on the ride home.

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:

d00d a lot of climbing at elevation!

FWIW, I have issues sitting on the saddle after around 40-45 miles. I need more I think, no?

I definitely want to do a century this year. It's a late year goal.

I saw the Tour de Poway is like 104mi and 4000ft of climbing. Not too bad. But it costs :)

9. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    FWIW, I have issues sitting on the saddle after around 40-45 miles. I need more I think, no?

With your fitness level you should be able to finish a "flat century" meaning less then 3K climbing in around 6.5 to 7 hours, at low altitudes. I agree sitting in the saddle gets tough after 8 hours, my longest so far was almost 10 hours during the Mullholland Ride. But under 7 hours its not too bad. That is of course relative.

It would be great to pull together a group century ride sometime. The bigger the better. I love riding in big packs. Power in numbers, the cars MUST obey us.:clap:

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Mountain bike training versus road riding can be quite different for some people. I know some very good mountain bikers that struggle with the longer road rides and some very strong roadies that can't keep up with the pack in the dirt, so I think Allison could be right wanting to get used to it a little more first.

Amtrak is my favorite for century rides, it's one of those rides you just don't want to end. I think it sold out in 2 hours last year. I had a 6 year run going but the registration got screwed up one year and I didn't get in but I made it back last year and we had 4 newbies with us that did really well. One year I just hammered it out and got down there in 6 hours. I then had to wait on the pier for the next 4 hours till it was time to walk over to the train. Now we just take our time and it's like riding the loop for 6 hours or so.

Poway is a nice century ride that we all like too, and the food at the end of the ride was killer. Palm Springs is another of my favorites. Cool Breeze is very scenic, but the wind has worked against me twice on that ride and I felt like I'd done a double the last time I did it. There really are so many great rides and the Sierra rides are really fun too.

June 28th is the Grand Tour where you can do 100, 200, 300 or even 400 miles, we have a group of four that will be doing the 300 again this year (21 hours of riding bliss). This is a great area to ride too and the terrain isn't to hilly. The after ride party is fun too for the people doing anything less then the 300. Still a very good first time century.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd love to do this as well. FWIW, the most riders I've ever ridden with was at Sea Otter.. in my XC race :D There were 25 of us on the tarmac. Aside from that? Maybe 3-4 riders.

Don't worry, I have good bike handling skills 8-[

12. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    two from the central coast: lighthouse (sept.) goes from slo up the coast past cambria, and the wildflower century (april) is in the country north of slo. both beautiful and relatively uncrowded.

13. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Allison, I'm not great in groups either, so I usually try to stick on John's wheel, since I'm used to riding with him and trust holding his wheel. I'm sure the same would work with you and Justin (plus, when you're tired or it's windy, it REALLY can help).

The few centuries that I've done (two), I found that there isn't usually the issue of being in a peleton, as the other riders aren't necessarily going for time (or the same time as you anyway), they're usually all in fun, and most are considerate of those newer to group situations (they stay away from you). Now, Como Street is another story..... ;)

As for the training, I think it depends on the person and I'm sure your drive would keep you going. The first 100mi that I did was for the MS150 and I had prepared for the 50mi. It was after forming a little pace line and riding by the exit for the 50 that I decided to finish the 100 (they had meant to do the century). I think I had riden about 60mi max prior to that. It wasn't cake, but I finished (the aid stations/resting points/eating right really helped--you have experience with all of that)

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Last summer when it got hot I found someone's route on routeslip or bikely that was 50mi and pretty flat.

I'm thinking sometime in July maybe we'll try that. Park at College off of 76, and ride the 25mi out to San Onofre State Beach, and ride back to the truck. 50 miles.

Refuel, refill, stretch, etc. Then ride the 25 miles out and back.

Easy 100 miles! ;) And if for some reason there's the need to bail it's an easy ride back.

Anyone else in?

No set time.

Part of it is on a bike path, part through state beach parking, part through Pendleton (drivers license needed), and a few other roads (not many).

I think avging 17-19 should be pretty easy?

15. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    My favorite organized road century is the Ride Around The Bear. You basically ride from Redlands, up 330 to Big Bear, over Onyx summit on hwy 18, 18 all the way back to Redlands.

It's a seriously fun ride that isn't too hard if you're accustomed to long, long climbs.

I wish I could do it this year but it just interferes with too many other plans.

I've also done quite a few centuries in the OC area on my own. Hit me up next time you're in the shop and I'll outline a few for you.

B

16. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Thanks B. (Since the Thanks button is now gone?)

Will do.

17. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

I just completed the Ojai Century last weekend and I highly recommend it as the scenery is amazing. 50% of the ride offers views of the ocean. This was my first century but after completing it I would probably not label it a good beginner century. There is substantial climbing in the beginning and right at the end before you descend to the finish. The flat areas all have wind issues. It was very well supported for the size of the ride I thought. They have well stocked rest stops every 20 miles and in some parts of the course every 10 miles.

I would also disagree that anyone who can ride 50 miles can ride 100. There are things that happen to your body when you spend that amount of time on the bike (nutrition, saddle issues, bike fitment, etc) that you need to be aware of before going for the full 100 miles.

18. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I am thinking of signing up for the Three Harbors Tour in Ventura http://www.venturavelo.org/_wsn/page3.html

I was doing it to get my buddy to do his first century, but he is backing out now. Has anybody done it? I think it is only about 4000 ft of climbing.

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Hell yeah, anytime after July!

This is a good one, but I'd not recommend it to someone who hasn't done a few others with some climbing in it. This last years was a lot easier for me then last year.

20. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Be very careful of what you leave in your cars if yu park off Green River: thefts are frequent. I usually park at Yorba Regional and do the out and back to Green River first, then down to HB and back. Bathrooms and water at Yorba Regional and more people around to deter thieves.

A pretty nice ride, just WAY crowded by everything from kids with training wheels, guys in huge packs hogging the trail to unleashed dogs, unsavory types and the occasional mentally unstable transient.