Road Centuries

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Pho'dUp, May 28, 2008.

1. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Anyone have a link or suggestion to some road centuries for California? I'm looking for a first fun century to ride.

Thanks,

C

2. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
  3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Pho, I've seen you ride, why are you doing a century? You should be doing a double!

4. Winger

Winger Member

I did the MS150 last year, which is a 2 day ride from OC to San Diego to raise funds & awareness for Multiple Sclerosis.

Day 1 you can either do 110 miles, or 60 miles.
    Day 2 everyone does 40 miles.

The ride has incredible support with rest stops every 10 or 20 miles. The overall ride is designed for someone with a moderate fitness level. The 110 mile option on day #1 is tough.

The only catch, if you call it that, is that you are required to raise a certain amount of money in order to participate. Last year it was $400 or $500.

Part of the fun is joining a team. I know a couple of groups from STR do it. Team Crash w/ xHuskr is the first that comes to mind.

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Actually, I'll have to second that. I did the MS150 a few years ago and have volunteered for the last 2yrs; it is a great event, well supported, and a wonderful first century (the second half is more difficult than the first--rolling hills where as the first is pretty flat, but a LOT of aid stations/support from other riders even). The second day is a great recovery ride, pretty much flat all the way and a great BBQ at the end (plus, a good cause).

I've heard that Solvang is a blast, too (haven't tried it yet) and Poway (SD area) has a good one, too (not as flat as the MS ride, it has a few more rollers and starts right off with a little climb--nothing for mtn bikers).

6. stacy

stacy help I've fallen . . .

teacher
    Saturday there's one in Ojai I'm doing with a bunch of mtn biker friends. You're welcome to join in. The weather looks like it'll be fairly mild.

Ojai is a pretty easy one with not much climbing. There's a double metric option you could do which adds about 3000 feet of extra climbing.

7. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Thanks Stacy. Next time. I've got my own suffer plan for Saturday for a friends b-day. 20mile road ride to Trabuco Creek Rd. Then up Trabuco Creek Rd > HJ > MD > Santiago Peak and then back down and 20miles home. Unfortunately I can't convince any mtn. biker friends to join me.

Haha, maybe next year for the 2x100. As my upper limit on the bike these days is around 8 hours the double is gonna have to wait.

8. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

Ride from your house in OC to my place in Walnut, then we ride to Bonelli for a lap, head back over to OC through Carbon Canyon, jump on SART and take that down to HB then back home and you should be close to a century.

A $10 bill for a real meal somewhere along the way should be all the sag you'll need. No t-shirt if you do the ride with me though. :D

By the way, are there decent routes around SoCal to do a century on a MTB?

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I've actually been trying to find a decent flat-ish century near me.

I'd love to hit 100 miles (road bike) this year. It'd be a huge accomplishment for me!

Not really looking for an organized ride, though.

10. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    I'd like to do something fun to help keep me motivated. Still deciding.

But I'm thinking I may just go out and do it one day on my own in about a month or so. I've got a pretty good 55mile route from my place that's got rolling hills along Santiago Canyon rd and some short climbing on Newport Blvd. I'll just do it twice and refuel at home half-way.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    If you decide at a later date you want to do one mebbe we can meet halfway and do a group century?

I'm not ready yet and don't have the time to dedicate to being on the road bike for 50-60 miles on the weekends, but possibly later this year.

I'm thinking late fall maybe? Just have no idea on routes.

12. Docklobster

Docklobster New Member

I did the Palm Springs Century as my first a couple of years back - it is usually in Feb though and might not meet your timing. This is a great first ride, usually perfect conditions, and fairly flat!

Allison - anytime you want to do a local 70 to 100 miles on the weekend let me know, I have done quite a few and have some nice routes for you.

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    It seems like the PS Century is always right around VQ/Counting Coup, I think?

I'll definitely let you know if I'm ready later this year! Justin and I have a good flat 50 miles, and did a good ~ climbing 53 miles. We have an 80mi route (we have never completed it) and it has a butt load of climbing, so by the time I get about 25-30 miles in (and it's an out and back) I'm too exhausted to keep going since you basically have a ton of climbing at the end!

14. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Humm.....an easy century would be fun. Keep us posted on what you find Karl!

15. 53-12

53-12 by design

Landscape Architecture
    I did the Five County Century with a bunch of road riding buds one year. Takes in portions of Los Angeles, Kern, Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties. A lot of climbing, but awesome scenery on light traffic roads. Starts in the Frazer Park area. Organized by the LA Wheelmen in the Autumn. They have info on their website.

16. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

I hate to pass on information that I don't have experience with, but some of the common 'first time friendly' centries are Cool Breeze in August and the Amtrak Century in September. Both of them are listed on the list in post #2, and both of them have the reputation of selling out within hours of registration opening.

Cool Breeze is just north of Ventura, has little climbing, and the weather is supposed to be awesome. My brother tried to get me into cycling around 2000 and signed us up for this, but he got hit while riding his bike to my house to start our 1st training ride and I've still yet to do this ride. :)

Amtrak is just a flat ride from OC to SD, then you take the train back to your starting point. I'm not a fan of organized centries, but for some reason this one sounds fun to me.

FWIW, I think anyone that can ride a bike for 50 miles can do a century. The strategies for resting and fueling are about the same for both rides, and you just have to have the discipline to go real slow for the first 20 miles or so during the century.

17. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I've done from my house in Lake Forest to the Queen Mary for a fairly flat 89 miles. It would be pretty easy to add 11 for a easy 100.

I'd be up for the Irvine to SD train ride back century route if anyone is interested.

18. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    On a mtn or road bike?

19. Pho'dUp

P-line rider
    Century-Probably on the road bike. But I'm open to divising a road/mtn. high mileage ride. Gonna give 60+ slow miles tomorrow by riding to the trailhead and back.

20. klutter

klutter Member

Funny you should mention this. I've been thinking of some sort of ride that combines most of the major parks in OC. Sort of like a bigger version of the Fullerton Loop. Road + smooth single track (or fire road) = good