Road bike vs. Tri bike

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Skeeter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Hey i know this isn't a road bike forum but i dont have a road bike so i dont know any roadies to ask my question to so anyways.
    What is the difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike? They look the same to me. Im doing my first triathlon in Sept.\\:D/ and didn't want to show up with my mountain bike and really look like a rookie. I dont have money to waste on mistakes and the regular road bikes look cheaper with more options.

Thanks

2. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    The main difference is in the frames. Tri bikes have really steep seattube angles (aggressive geometry) when compared to road bikes. That combined with short top tubes and aero bars allow the rider to be in a more aero position.

That's what I believe the main differences to be.

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    rent a bike for the event and return it when ur done :)

4. Skeeter

Cox Communications
    thats what i was thinking about doing but do you know where i can. I would hate to buy a road bike that id never ride just for a race.

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Check Laguna Cyclery 949-494-1522

6. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    if you want Im sure Patrick would let you borrow some lycra for the race.

7. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Revo Cycles in Dana Point rents road bikes. Ask for Darren or Greg. They've got a decent selection.

8. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Too bad I'm leaving, I'd let you borrow the dusty road bike that's in my garage :p.

I think that the physiological differences experienced on road bikes vs. mtn bikes are big enough that you would probably be safer/better off getting your body used to the road prior to doing a race. Not to mention, like mtn bikes, there is a setup period where you tweak every bolt/adjustment until you find what is comfortable. In my experience, those road bikes ride vastly different than mtn bikes (SUPER squirrely at first) and aren't nearly as comfortable. They require some "dialing in" before you want to spend any more than about an hour in the saddle.

At the very least, I think you'd want to have a week or two worth of rides under your belt. To just jump on one for the first time and start racing is a bad idea in my opinon.[-X Granted, if you're only going like 10 or 15 miles (I have no idea how long Tri's are), it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal...but on longer rides, you can really feel the difference at first.

Just as cats here have a mtn bike for each type of rock they will encounter on a given ride, roadies often have a bike for each day of the week. And one thing about road bikes is that they tend to be more gently used than mtn bikes; see if you can find a used one somewheres.

9. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I know Rock n Road rents bike. I dont know if you can do more than one day at a time though.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Good info from Endo Master and Eco. There is a misconception about riding road. Just because a person rides well in the dirt won't make him the fast on the road. You still should train on the road. You could get a decent road bike for under a grand and it would serve you well for a tri, but your mtb might hurt you. I ride the road a lot better then I do the dirt and tend to take my division in the top 3 consistantly in road biking, but I like mountain so much more. Get a road bike as the tri bikes are just to specific and to limited to what you can do. I did ride my tri for a few century rides, but it almost turned me off to road riding. And the best thing about the road bike is you can still ride during or after it rains. It also makes a great training tool. Tinker told me that is all he uses to train with. (Like how I dropped that name in there?).

11. Skeeter

Cox Communications
    Good news a buddy of mine is lending me his road bike for me to use.:bang: He says he never rides it, and all i have to do is change the pedals and i can use it from now till the race.
    Do i have to wear lycra on a road bike?\\:D/

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    If you don't you'll more then likely be the only one NOT wearing lycra, which will cause you to stand out even more then if you did. I have never done a tri where I didn't see everyone wearing lycra. And I've done over a dozen of them. What distance are you doing? I'm thinking of getting back into it, but it takes so much time to train and the only available time is from my mountain biking.:-k I do better in the longer distance, but it requires more training.

13. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    no road bike knowledge my friend does tri's and hes got a nicey tri bike

i dont even know but its cool

sorry i dont stray away from the freeride/downhill scene

14. Skeeter

Cox Communications
    This is going to be my first tri so i started of with just a sprint 0.5 mile swim/11 mile bike/3 mile run.
    Other then the swim it should be fairly easy.