Road bike question

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Red Hawk, Mar 12, 2008.

1. office

office Member

I wouldn't recommend a bikesdirect bike. Bought one of the cheaper ones (Mirage Pro) It works, but the geometry isn't great and the wheels (generic single-wall Alex rims) killed tubes like rappers kill each other. It was such a problem that I took it to three bike mechanics with no solution (the rims were built too small is my best guess to the problem). Ended up going with some Mavic Aksium wheels and I got a ton of miles on the Moto, but with a $200 extra cost factored in. #-o

I do recommend the Aksiums though X1000. Sick wheels for very little $$$. If you can find a bike spec'd with them under a grand i'd buy one.

2. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I would recommend you not get "stuck" on riding a 56. Take a look at the geometry and ride a 56, 58, 60 of which ever bike you do go with. If I hope on a Giant I like a 58.5(xl) but on a Bianchi or Scott I like a 61 better. Then again it will also depend on weather or not it is a compact geometry or standard.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've got over 28,000 miles on my Giant TCR02. It's a carbon fiber frame. If you're doing longer distance rides ( my favorites too) look for comfort first then speed. You're going to find it quite diffficult to get everything you want though. At a price of 2000 to 2500 you could find some killer deals on used cf bikes. The Roubaix is my favorite for this kind of riding although most the guys I ride with love the Treks, mostly Project Ones or Madones. But even used I don't think you'll see anything around a grand.