Rim Trail (Mt. Wilson)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Duke, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Duke

Duke New Member

musician/composer/piano teacher/composition teache
    A friend of mine "rode" the Rim Trail (from the top of Mt. Wilson down to Newcomb's Pass) a few weeks ago. Apparently, it's in piss poor condition and THEN some. About half of the trail's 3.6 miles is pretty much a hike-a- bike over landslides and RIDICULOUSLY loose and narrow terrain.

I was just wondering what it would take to get a crew of volunteers (me included), to go up there and do some work on the trail. First of all, is it even legal to do this without getting permission from ANF?? I don't know...I'm brand new to this concept of "trail work", but I think that the Rim Trail is a pretty neat trail, and it's a shame that it's been neglected (and supposedly it's been in bad shape for quite awhile and it keeps getting worse).

Anybody have some insight into this? Anybody willing to help?

Or maybe it might be better to wait until Spring because of the snow that's probably covering parts of the trail right now?

Suggestions? Comments? Profound thoughts? :)

Thanks, guys!

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Years back when we re-opened the trail over Mt Zion the rangers at Chantry where very helpful. Having a Forest Service Trail boss train a few people then the FS does not have to be present for all trail work. CORBA has done many trail work days on the trails on Mt Wilson and the Mt Wilson Bicycling Association pancake breakfast last weekend they also do a lot of trail work on Wilson.

Thoughs? It would be nice to have it in good shape but as long as I have been riding Wilson (6 years) it has never been in good shape.

http://www.corbamtb.com/

http://mwba.org/

Dean

3. Duke

Duke New Member

Yeah, from the pictures that I saw, it looked like it had been neglected for AT LEAST 6 years. If not, more....

Damn shame..

4. croatianinja

croatianinja New Member

school :(
    hmm, i hiked sturtevant trail a few months ago and it was in great condition, i never rode/hiked rim trail but if there is any trail work im in. if we do, are there any regulations to making it be flow-e with a few jumps??:)

5. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

I fell off that trail 3 years ago. Helicopter rides and all that.

6. kanga

kanga Active Member

The Rim trail really needs to be rebuilt. I think the FS is uncomfortable with having volunteer crews working on that trail because of the extreme cliff exposure. Of course, the cliffy sections are where the most work is needed. Being closed for 18 months and having no traffic only made it worse.

We are trying to schedule work dates for December 3 or 4 to restore the lower section of Redbox-Switzers section of the Gabrielino. Most of the trail east from Redbox is in good shape, but the two miles on the Switzers end is unrideable. The ANF Trails Manager is away, so getting projects approved is taking longer than usual. But those are the dates we requested and I'll definitely put the word out on STR once they are confirmed (or other dates are set).

Steve

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Yah, the Rim Trail is in horrible shape. The land slides combined with the exposure on that trail makes for a very high penalty for failure.

8. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

rode the rim trail not too long ago, acorn bedded, down slope, hike-a-bike, but the Gabrielino payoff was worth it-wasnt it guys?
    definitely needs work but wrth the effort none the less, enjoy

9. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

Used to love the Rim Trail. Last time we rode it was a couple of years ago and there was too much HAB for me to want to ride it again. I'd love to help out with trail maintenance to restore this trail. Given how many trails the Station Fire took out, you'd think the FS would want to restore whatever trails we can.
    Kanga-is this something you can broach w/ the FS. And also, do we need to get approval from FS to do trail maintenance?...just asking.
    Thanks. Suzanne

10. kanga

kanga Active Member

To do "official" trailwork you need to be with an organization that has an agreement with the FS an (MOU) and is registered to do trailwork. CORBA and MWBA are both in that position. As an individual you would need to be a registered volunteer which requires some paperwork but isn't hard to get. To do trailwork unsupervised the FS trails manager needs to know that you know what you're doing.

That's not to stop anyone from moving rocks off a trail or removing a wayward tree branch or correcting some other minor trail hazard as they're out enjoying the trails. But if you do so, the FS doesn't get "credit" for the volunteer hours put in, nor are you covered by any insurance. If you want to work on a trail, I doubt anyone would stop you, but if you start hauling in tools and supplies there will probably be questions.

I haven't looked at the RIM trail since last year (before the winter rain) as I know there is much "lower hanging fruit" that also needs to happen (like the Gabrielino). The Strawberry Peak trail will probably be rebuilt by a contractor, not volunteers for similar reasons.

11. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    This thread caught my eye because I hiked there yesterday. We did the Devore Camp Loop, which finishes up with the Rim Trail. Of course, whenever I hike, I'm evaluating the trail for ridability.

I don't know where the trail leads beyond Newcomb, but it would have to be VERY good to justify riding the Rim Trail. By "riding," I mean "manhandling your bike much of the way." Interestingly, for about the uppermost mile or two, someone has been up there with a shovel within the last month, but it will take MUCH more effort to make the trail ridable.

Even the hiking trail that we did was much thinner than I expected. It's a magnificent area, and the hike isn't brutally strenuous. Perhaps after being closed for a couple years, people have to get it in their heads that this is once again a fun recreation area. While there are signs of fire everywhere, the plants are recovering nicely. There was one area that was eerie from the fire. Pictures attached.

Attached Files:

12. dstepper

Home Page:

Attached Files:

13. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Thanks, Dean.
    Poodle Dog was all over the place. Some areas looked like Poodle Dog Forest. It's really a beautiful plant.

14. dstepper

Home Page:
    I fix that statement for ya.

15. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Pretty much I was told by two people in charge of trails in the forests, that there is little or NO money for trail fixing.

16. Duke

Duke New Member

Where does our money from those Forest Adventure Passes go? I thought it went toward trail maintenance, but I could be wrong.....

17. Duke

Duke New Member

The Gabrielino trail payoff is fun...but in that case, we might as well just do an out/back on the Gabrielino trail. To me, there's just no point in adding a 3.6 mile hike-a-bike. If it's only a few short sections, then I don't mind it and I like the "adventure" of it, anyway. But in its current condition, forget it....

18. Duke

Duke New Member

I agree! 100%! :bang:

19. Krankin Kiwi

Krankin Kiwi Closet Goater

Home Page:
    Just my 2 cents but if you want to get this trail ride-able any time soon get up there and get after it. If you try do it "official" by the time you jump though the hoops and red tape you could have done the work and be enjoying the fruits of your labor. If everyone waited to get the blessing of the FS there would be a LOT more trails like the Rim Trail.

20. freewheeler

freewheeler Looking for new trails

Well, where do things stand? I think the Rim trail is "low hanging fruit". The trail still exists and only portions need to be restored. My husband and I would be willing to help out with trail maintenance. This trail is too good to let go.