Race Report Rim Nordic #3: fun in the rain

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by krunner44, Jul 31, 2011.

1. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    So, how did everyone do in the rain today?

Hotchkiss, iphrankie, and I hit a ton of rain on our way up to Running Springs this morning, and I was kicking myself for not bringing any warm gear. (I usually don't fare well being wet and cold). I was contemplating not lining up, and staying curled up by the heater in the car. But, once we got started, I had a blast. It was rad to see other women participating in Cat 2 today! I felt great, the course was awesome, and I got plenty of dirt in the teeth from smiling too much.:)

frankie and me post-race
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Justin and I decided Friday around 5:30 at the grocery store picking up dinner that we wanted to go camp. We cooked, he prepped bikes while I (failed to remember key items I might add) packed for the weekend. We pulled in to Rim Nordic around 10:30pm to 2 trailers - one Rock N' Road teammate Brandon Gritters and Ted Willard. We set up the tent and tried to get some shut eye.

Good thing I *did* have wax earplugs (road noise!). We did the stage race to benefit Mark Reynolds. Saturday was gorgeous and warm, I had a blast racing with uber fast Dean Swank on the climb and dirt crit.

Went up to the lake Saturday after the race to share a few brews with Gritters, Willard, Anton and late arrival Sheek. Got back to camp, after hanging out with Sho -Air teammate Richard and girlfriend Heidi sharing adventures we finally set about grilling dinner, more beers, and someone brought ice cream.

I'm not sure when it started raining, but by 5 am it hadn't let up in awhile and was coming down pretty good. Didn't let up on us all day.

Had some fun racing in the rain. Lost my focus around the time my bike stopped shifting on lap 2 and uber fast adventure racer Karen caught me just as we came through to go out on lap 3 (she was doing a bonus 3rd lap) and I turned on the jets, running scared.

Thanks to Bev, Kerry, and all volunteers out there today and this weekend. The stage race was a lot of fun!!

3. pelkins

pelkins New Member

VP of Technical Services at Smile Brands Inc.
    That was a great time in the mud today! I checked good old Weather.com Saturday night prior to heading up and it said high of 84 and 30% chance of thundershowers. I was hoping for some rain in the early morning and then let it dry out for the race. That would be optimum to keep the dust down. However, it rained buckets for hours all the way through the day. It never got even close to 80 either. I didn't have any warm gear myself. I was cowering for shelter prior to the start wondering if taking the start was such a good idea. However, after the start I quickly warmed up and got use to being soaking wet. That place drains so well with all the DG that the traction was better than the last race in the dry (except for some choice areas that were slick as snot).

It was great time but it took me almost as much time to clean my gear and bike as it did to race. Can't wait for the finale. See you guys out on the Thursday night Aliso rides again. I was on the tandem. Next time I'll probably bring the single.

4. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Great job Allison and what a weekend! Thanks for sharing...............you do have jets girl! Inspiring!

And Kimmie....your rock it glad you had some others in your catagory to chase down...or lead out.....I am sure you were the lead...none the less...and BTW you look amazingly happy after that race even if there was dirt in your teeth...

Way to represent ladies!

5. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Ha! You guys are bringing back some great memories from when Lacey and I were racing at Rim Nordic! I used to love the thunderstorms!

And Kimmi, that smile on your face is priceless!! :bang:

6. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Bev asked about you at the race before last. You guys should come up for the last one on the 21st.