Riding again - Keith

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by sauce, Sep 29, 2007.

1. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Quick RR of my first mountain bike ride since my Fully Loop accident on July 26th:

My last check up with Dr. Coker had me back in a splint for another 3weeks due to the unknwn clicking coming from arm. After a week of being in another splint I couldnt take it any more and decided it was coming off against the docs orders. It took about 2 days of forcing my arm to bend for most of the movement to come back again so then I thought I'd try a road ride. I wore a wrist brace to supposrt my arm and headed on the maiden voyage of the Enduro. I had the suspension set soft to take any impacts off my arm and it worked pretty well. I rode over some cobbles which had me whincing but other than that it was pretty good. I was gasping for air on a small climb and couldnt get out of the saddle due to the wrist brace not allowing much arm movement but the stage was set for a proper mountain bike ride.

Fast forward 5 days - time to hit a trail. I picked Tjerras Creek as my first ride and headed out with my riding buddies Jeff and Dave. I took the gamble on not wearing any kind of arm support but opted for flat pedals incase I had to bail out (got to protect that arm!) I rode out front so I could set my own pace - which seemed really fast but hell it wasnt! I seemed like I hadnt ridden in about a year or something and I could barely keep the grin off my face. I was having to avoid all but the sallest rocks but even those were sending shock waves of pain through my arm. The whole ride felt like some great adventure and the 'jungle-esque' section seemed totally different from when I last rode through there. I struggled on the small climbs but thnkfully didnt have to resort to the granny ring anywhere. The ride was pretty uneventful really - I didnt have to get off anywhere which was a major surprise however I couldnt lift the front wheel over anything because there's not a grain of strength in the arm. It was painful riding over the rocks at the Arroyo section, the downhill sections had to be taken pretty sedately as the high frequency trail buzz sent me into frenzy of pain but I managed to comlete the ride and even get out of the saddle for a very short time. Thanks to Jeff and Dave for watching over my slow ass and being ready with the spanners and wrenchs to work on me should something fall off.

Major thanks to everyone at STR and Geoladders for all the supprt, Especially Sarah for her constant belief in me riding again so soon :)

Next target is to try and make it up to Santiago Peak (I'm betting it takes longer to come down that get up!)

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Way to go, Keith!!

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    That's great news, Keith. Hope to ride with you again. They put a metal railing (fence) around the top where the downhill starts. I think that tree down at the bottom (the one with a bunch of scars on it ) was the one that got you.

4. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I think thats a good thing it got put up. It was either that or someone take the trees at the bottom down.

5. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Great to hear Keith, when will we cc you at the loop?

6. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Come ride with me it will be mellow.
    Hit me up when you are feeling up to a ride. I need to ride and keep it mellow.

7. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

welcome back Keith!

8. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    :beer:

9. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Glad you're riding again Keith. We'll see u when we get back.

10. mcgyver0302

mcgyver0302 Life behind bars

Slave
    Home Page:
    Good to hear that you're back on the tail. I rode trail for the first time last Thursday on the loop and it felt great! See ya on the trail!

11. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    Thanks guys - I should be back at the loop in a few weeks. With Sarah's encouragement I managed a 32mile ride today (wasnt much climbing) - I was stoked to be able to ride for that long despite my forearm feeling like it had been put through a mangle. I dont think I'll need much physio now that I'm riding again. See you all out there soon for some mellow riding :)

12. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    oh please? my encouragement? he didn't need any encouragement; i could barely keep his pace! :) i think we were both pretty worn out by the end. i'm proud of you!

13. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    Awww - there isnt a public display of affection icon, probably jsut as well ;)

14. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    STR Birthday Ride

Keith,

You and Sarah try and make the STR ride on the 20th at Chino Hills. I know a lot of the riders would love to see you back on the trail... you can celebrate afterwards with a cool one as well.

15. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I agree with OMR. There will be an "A" group route as well or just keep it mellow and stay with the newbs. Either way, everyone will get to see you back riding. It's on the 20th of Oct, the same weekend as the Noble ride. ;)

16. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    That's great news Keith. Glad to hear it.

Carl

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

:beer: Seriously though, are you sure you want to push your luck? Maybe you should start out with some trails that are a bit less punishing than the loop--Santiago Oaks, Joplin, Stair Steps, San Juan--anything but the Loop! ;)

18. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    From Keith: Cheers guys - Sarah and I rode up to Beeks Place last night before the Path Movie. She'll be the death of me for sure, setting a really fast pace from gate to gate. This was my first ride where I really pushed myself and clung onto Sarahs wheel. Despite the unusual gasping for air and the extra lbs of the Enduro over the Stumpy we made it up there in one of my best times at pretty much 1hr and a handful of seconds. The moral of this final post on having been injured is to not get dispondent and dont give up on getting back what you once had. Support of friends and loved ones is invaluable - see y'all out there soon and a final thanks to everyone :beer:

19. guero

guero iFroth

nice job dude. it was cool to see you and sarah last night at the brew co. i think you should roll your left sleeve up though to show off that burly scar! :bang: