Rider down on Holy Jim WTF! Be safe out there/Man biking in canyon airlifted

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Edog, Sep 27, 2009.

1. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    It is a shame to hear about these accidents but damn this quote is funny. :lol:

2. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    There's nothing wrong about riding alone if you stay within your comfort zone.

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Patent Pending is a joke

Xtreme is nothing more than an email list. Your contacts are sent an email when the database is updated. The bears are not likley to call 800# for you.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    A couple of my most remote rides have been alone. Rides on the Colorado Plateau in the Kaibab National Forest and in the Prescott National Forest. I do not think twice about riding alone. I ride cautious all the time so my riding style really does not change. I would have never been able to explore some of the areas I have if I waited for others to get time off from work and families. I try to understand the mindset of needing others along for the ride but the freedom of picking my own route, pace and just the solitude far outweighs it. The one thing I don't enjoy is hanging around camp at night alone...so I normally plan rides that I can head to town and get a room.

Dean

5. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    The one thing I heard that sounds real smart, and something I have gotten away from doing, but should start again, is telling friends where I am riding and when I should be back, signaled by a text msg or call.

6. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    I guess I'm the first to see the irony that if the pimp hand is strong, you won't have been riding solo in the first place. :wave:

7. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    To many big kitty cats watching you. Never ride along on a Epic ride.

8. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    I am always a little more cautious when I ride alone. I never try to clear new obstacles or drops etc. I save that for when I have witnesses,:bang:

But on the real note, these serious accidents are no joke. I got into a really bad accident when I starting DH'ing seriously up in Galbraith, and broke both my arms. Yeah no fun at all. I was just glad I had my wife who cleared the stunts before I did, and some friends there to help. I had to ride down because there was no vehicle access, no fun at all. I could not imagine what would have happened if I was alone, my pimp had is definitely not strong enough to drag me that far. Good for that guy, can we say BADASS!!

And they say you can weed out true MTB'rs by whether or not they get back on the bike after they recover, if still physically possible of course. It just takes one bad crash to sway some from the sport.

9. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    sorry 4 the guy but i always wondered does the emergency crew go back and get your bike or do you have 2 call your buddy from the hospital and ask him 2 go get it.

10. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Unfortunately, there are times when you have to ride alone due to scheduling conflicts. That being said, there are some trails, e.g. Aliso Woods, Whitting, etc. you can ride alone because of the number of users in those parks at anytime. There are other trails you should not ride alone in the event you are seriously hurt or disabled, e.g. Trabucco Creek, Joplin, etc. becuase if you go down, it could be awhile before anyone finds you, and by then it could be too late. You need to use common sense when riding alone. Make sure you have sufficient water, supplies (including a medical kit) and a cell phone, and carefully evaluate the trail you intend to ride. As they use to say on Hill Street Blues, "be safe out there!"

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I was on a bike tour through Death Valley, Mammoth and Lake Tahoe once when it snowed the first night out (Cajon Pass). A few days later there was a huge blizzard in the Sierras, so I holed up in a motel in Death Valley, then 'time-trialed' it to Mammoth when the weather cleared. There was so much snow in Mammoth I had a friend bring up my skis, and we skied the Mountain for a couple days. Then I headed North.

A Highway Patrol officer pulled up behind me while I was enjoying the scenery outside of Bridgeport. There was snow and ice as far as you could see. He got on the loudspeaker and asked if I was OK. I gave him the thumbs up with my mittened hand and continued on to Tahoe (more skiing). Eventually, I made my way to the coast and back down to L.A.

I didn't have anyone to do that ride with, and didn't care. I've bike toured in Europe and done extensive backpacking and ski mountaineering trips in the Sierra Nevada alone. I've never considered going solo to be any more or less dangerous than going in a group.

The rider on Holy Jim presumably went in by himself, and got himself out. Thats the way it should be. I wish him a full recovery and hope he gets out there again soon.

In the end, everyone should do what their heart tells them, whether alone or in a group. Great things have been done either way.

12. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    I guess my statement was a bit generic, and if not riding is the alternative, then ride alone is probably what most of us will choose.

I guess my point to that is, do not forget you are alone, maybe ride more cautious or sensible, do not push your limits when you are alone, I am just saying to exercise a bit more caution and common sense if you are alone.

Also a good idea to at least make sure someone knows what trails you plan to ride and your anticipated start and end times and maybe have a friend, spouse etc that is expecting a call from you at certain times just to check in. If you are riding where there is no service, you could still have a "if you do not hear from me by" time.....

I think I am speaking common sense, but none of us is hurt to be reminded rather than become a statistic.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I occasionally ride alone and I do enjoy it especially if I'm going exploring. But I also enjoy group rides and the safety of riding with others. But one thing I'm neglecting, is to tell anyone when to expect me back or where I'm going for that matter. I need to start doing this again, thanks for the reminder.

14. Jeepdude

Jeepdude Member

I regularly ride alone as well. Like was mentioned earlier, when I am by myself, I ride differently. I challange myself more going up the hill, but coming down I am more reserved. Also, I ride where I know there are other riders in case I crash and need help, and stick to the more frequently traveled trails. I also carry a cell phone in case something happens.

There is certainly an added measure of risk riding by yourself, but if plan ahead and are careful, you can minimize the risk.

15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

No they don't get your bike. I was in the Santa Monica's riding when our group came on a solo rider that was hurt pretty badly. We called 911 and they sent a helo. They wouldn't take the bike along in the helo and we had no way to transport it for the guy, but we lucked out and found a very nice hiker that agreed to walk it out on his way out. We checked and he did return it to the guy. By the way, the helo took awhile to spot us despite being in an open area on the top of a hill and with a large group of people and having given them pretty good directions as to our location. If we were in a more remote/covered area with fewer people and didn't know our precise location, it could have taken a long time. A signaling mirror might not be a bad thing to carry. Perhaps if the FD arrives on foot or with vehicles they would be kind enough to take your bike to the station if you were solo and had no other options, but the helo guy made it pretty clear there was no way the bike was coming along.

16. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    My best rides have been solo gigs.

I prefer having at least one other person with me but that isn't always possible.

When I am alone, I leave the riskier stuff alone and just do some "cowpathing" and take the opportunity to do some sight seeing.

I admit that I have done very few solo trips in the wilderness here in CA.

At least in HI, I am at the top of the food chain...on land.

For getting himself to the road and to help, this guy has hero status for the day in my book.

17. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Think about the great John muir how he treked the Sierra with minimal creature comfort.

Were too fricken spoiled venture out and become part of the earth you'll be suprised how much survival instinct you really possess.

I'm from Colorado and treked the sangre de christos from the great sand dunes to Leadville, that adventure made me take an oath to those mountains that my ashes will rest there. By themselves like I enjoyed the range, by myself.

18. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Most folks, especially city dwellers, aren't raised with outdoor survival skills or hunting/gathering skills.

These are basic things that folks who spend any amount of time in the wilderness should learn - or at least be somewhat familiar with. IMHO.

19. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    an old cd (you're not gonna listen to guns-n-roses anymore) works pretty well.

and i don't know that i'll do it, but it seems smart to tell somebody where/when you're going to be back if you're doing something substantial solo. otherwise, you might find yourself going man v. wild.

:cowboy:

20. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer