Rider down at Euclid on Fullerton Loop?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by dirtydoug, May 26, 2012.

1. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Good point. It's a blind corner for southbound cars.

2. Drewbaca

Drewbaca Member

Cable Guy
    I've been out there late at night because of outages, and accidents. During accidents, Fullerton PD posts someone at Lakeview and Euclid. They are diverting traffic to Lakeview. In most cases, I've seen drivers come to a screeching stop, almost hitting the traffic cop. And this cop had his lights flashing. And a few drivers ran past the traffic cop. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, it is a dangerous "freeway". A blind corner, and the only other light is at Lakeview, and it's mostly green for Northbound and Southbound traffic on Euclid. Will this incident prompt some type of safety measure? Who knows? But it has raised my awareness. I'm guilty of coming off that downhill, and jumping right on to Euclid. I hope the rider is doing ok, and has a speedy recovery.

3. Bonsainut

Bonsainut Was ich nicht weiß...

Any update on this guy?

4. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    So last Sunday afternoon i was riding the loop. As i was headed up Euclid towards Laguna I see some paint on the Ground that sez "front wheel". Then i notice the skidmarks and the scraping on the curb and then i say to myself, this cant be good.

Then on Tuesday I see this thread and I start looking for some more info on the accident. Couldn't find anything! I'm thinking there has to be something somewhere about this.

So this morning I get a text from my buddy Hank that says "Hey did you see the post about my accident on Euclid?" I was like, holy shit that was you?! He told me the guy fell asleep and plowed into him while he was in the bike lane heading north (the car was headed south) He (Hank) is pretty jacked up. He got out of the hospital Tuesday with two shattered toes, broken hand, ribs, eye orbit socket bone, staples in his shin and he had to have some plastic surgery on his face to repair some flapping skin. He said it's going to be a long recovery. I asked him if he saw the car coming or did he have his head down, he replied the only thing he remembers is crossing in the new crosswalk and heading up Euclid and thats it.

He wanted to have me thank all the peeps that gave him well wishes and to pass this info along.

Remember to stay safe out there.

shitty

5. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    Dw could you keep us posted on how he's doing?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

6. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Will do!

shitty

7. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    I want to beet up that drivur!

8. BeeMac

BeeMac New Member

I was in the car with the family and drove by the scene of the accident just when they took the injured rider way in the ambulance. The bike was still on the ground and the car in the middle of the road. I think the rider crossed at the new crossing light and was coming up the right hand side of the road when the driver crossed the meridian and struck the bicyclist. You could see where the car hit the curb first, then struck the cyclist. I think the rider had done everything right. Who could imagine a driver falling asleep at the wheel and hitting you head-on? Especially at 10 in the morning. Euclid is really wide at this intersection and you'd think you'd be safe, but I guess not. I think that the car striking the curb first (there were no skid marks due to a combination of ABS and a sleepy driver) but you could see where the car impacted the curb, probably saving the cyclist's life, sloughing off some kinetic energy before striking the cyclist. By the way, any word on his recovery? I was shocked to see a bicycle broken in two and figured the worst.

9. Eric W

Eric W Member

Home Page:
    Best Wishes get well soon.

10. kcm

kcm New Member

Just be careful...with or wo the light.....

11. Mamba_Gurl

Mamba_Gurl New Member

Preschool teacher
    Since my car accident I do a lot of walking and I've become more aware that many drivers are quick to turn right on a green light even if there is a pedestrian or bicyclist getting ready to cross. The law is if anyone is in a crosswalk you can not turn regardless of where they are in that crosswalk. A lot of drivers cross the line to making it hard to even get across the street. I never ever even step in the crosswalk until I double check that someone is not going to turn.

12. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    Mamba, I've seen this happen in the SFV and SCV as well. Despite hating to lose momentum and reporting slower times on Strava, I will always wait and make sure I make eye contact with drivers before making a turn or crossing any intersections where I could get hit.

13. guero

guero iFroth

I do the same thing! It seems like many drivers only look to their left before making right hand turns, I've had a few close calls over the years.

14. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    I don't believe there is anything in the vehicle code requiring a driver to yield for the entire time a pedeatrian is crossing at a cross walk. You must yield to pedestrians until they are out of harms way. My rule of thumb is to turn if they are a minimum of half way across. I've done this in front of my local PD (Brea), and I have never been cited.

EDIT: On another note, I always make eye contact as a driver and pedestrian. There have been several times when I'm on a walk with my wife and daughter, and a car is about to turn into us. My wife and I have banged on a few hoods because people don't pay attention to pedestrians.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  15. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    I looked it up and you are correct. I do recall learning this at driver's Ed that a driver must wait until a pedestrian must fully cross the sidewalk before a driver may cross..they must have changed this rule a few years ago.

16. Eric W

Eric W Member

Home Page:
    yes they changed that law about three years ago and a lot of people still don't know about it

17. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    Me included!~;)