Ride Report Ride Report: Summer Solstice Summit to Surf Sentury via Soil

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by MnMDan, Jun 23, 2013.

1. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

A few weeks ago I had a quick conversation at the Memorial Day Luge ride with Mr. Foltz, wondering if it would be possible to ride all the way from Santiago Peak down to the surf. If anyone in OC would know, it would be him. He said sure, there's lots of ways, so I figured why not?

After much planning, research, current city trail maps, etc., I set out from my house at Sunrise on Saturday. Riding from north Irvine, it was only a short stretch of street before I started the journey proper, the Serrano Creek Trail.
    1001320_10200114393129337_1543506574_n.jpg

A nice little trail, it eventually linked up with Whiting. I headed up Serrano Road and Serrano Cow Trail (maybe this ride should have been called the Serrano ride, but Serrano Ridge was the other way), all the way up to the kiosk and down to my second stretch of street on the ride.

The next several hours after passing the Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary and its setup were filled by the monotony of Harding and the climb to the peak, interrupted by only a few hardy souls descending from their earlier starts, a few hikers, and a couple of Motos on Main Divide.

Once at the peak, I wanted to search out the benchmark. I've been up there many times, but never to the actual physcial summit.

1013705_10200116298896980_1000495325_n.jpg

1039969_10200116298496970_172068532_o.jpg

After that, it was time for the (mostly) downhill ride to the surf.

Descending Upper and Lower Holy Jim, which I'd only really done in CC, It was much more overgrown than it is during the winter and CC.

G0020013 copy.jpg
    G0020030 copy.jpg
    G0020035 copy.jpg

After that, down Trabuco Road, through O'Neil, and down Trabuco Trail as far as it would take me, which it turned out, was this:

G0020128 copy.jpg

First time I'd ever seen a gate across a "stream" (lot of car washing going on today...the natural watershed was bone dry earlier). There were a few overgrown singletracks heading east up the wash so I followed one and it led me to the ridgeline trail on the west boundary of Ladera Ranch. Lots of signs along that trail proclaiming prosecution if you so much as thought about entering the ranch from the West, or the Arroyo Trabuco Golf Course on the other side of the ridge. I know there's a trail on the west side of the golf course, but I only ever see it when I have to cross it to get to the golf course.

Moving on, the ridgeline eventually ended at the north end of the San Juan Capistrano trail network, which is impressive from their downloadable map. Reality is a different story. Between landowners claiming the trail as their own through landscaping, stables in the middle of what is signed to be a trail right next to a trail map and sign, and some sections being paved over, I ended up wandering around the neighborhoods north of Ortega Highway trying to get south. Its a shame that so much effort is put into the map, signage, and kiosks at trail junctions to have the locals destroy what could be an asset...but most of the stables have been replaced by pools anyway.

G0020175 copy.jpg

On the southside of Ortega, I picked up the Juliana Farms trail (a straighter shot was Barking Dog, but I missed that) to Whispering Hills, then to Prima Deshecha (West Dump) to North Los Mares. What's missing is the sign that says East Los Mares connects to San Clemente's trail network and Forster Ridgeline via the East Los Mares trail. Kernan to Prima Deshecha North to Prima Deshecha South led me to the North end of the San Clemente Singletrack...finally.

G0030238 copy.jpg

With time (and fatigue) becoming a factor this far into the ride, I decided to stay low and take the single track next to the fenceline until it ended at Cristianitos Road, then take the state park trail the rest of the way...except the State Park Trail was closed due to a Marine Corps Event...so less soil, more street.

I finally get to the bridge to get to lower trestles, and its jam packed with cars...junior national surf competition or something.

The last stretch of singletrack before the surf:
    G0030254 copy.jpg

And finally, the end of the Summit to Surf Segment:
    1044786_10200118457110934_174219221_n.jpg

The subtotal:
    1045175_10200118458350965_2061660663_n.jpg

After starting out at 6:00am-ish, @ 3:45pm, it was time to head home. My original master-plan was to retrace my steps through the SCST and part of the San Juan Network, linking up with the Laguna Niguel Colinas Bluff and Salt Creek Trail...but instead I decided to cut my losses and headed back along the San Clemente Beach Trail:

G0030289 copy.jpg

A nice trail until you hit the signs near the pier that say riding bikes is prohibited from June 15-Labor Day. And get kicked off by the patrol even though its not crowded, there are other riders, and you're going slower than all of them. @$$hats.

Refueling at 7-11 and the train station, more pavement until I grab the Salt Creek Trail at Monarch Beach. Yeah, its not dirt, but its off highway, which is better than nothing. I take that all the way until it ends at the top of the hill above Crown Valley Parkway, then pick it up again, taking it through Niguel Park and hitting up Aliso. Up Aliso-Canyon, up Cholla, and then down Stairsteps. Except after nearly buying it on the Upper Stairsteps bypass, I figure today isn't the best day to attempt to clean Lower Stairsteps. Spitting out onto Laguna Canyon Road, its getting late, and I'm not really up for a climb up Willow to Fenceline and Bommer Ridge, so I take Laguna Canyon to the San Diego Creek Trail, and hopscotch it to the Railroad Trail, and finally home.

The Totals:
    250+ ounces of water consumed.
    2500 calories of gels, powders, and whatever flew into my mouth.
    Some serious soreness.
    The longest (by time and distance) I've spent on a Mountain Bike (I've done more vertical on a road bike, but that's easier than this was).
    1002723_10200119398494468_449355135_n.jpg
    The Strava Link (yep, I'm a whore, but this is the most segments I've ever seen on one of my rides:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/62211263

After all this, it was time for a shower, a Shocktop:drunk:, and some sustenance:
    1016681_10200119684661622_1172532806_n.jpg

And finally, some sleep.

Next year, I think I'll do some recon instead of relying on day-of-ride navigation.:lol:

2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Just awesome MnMDan, killer miles and elev. I needed some motivation to explore some more new dirt in the neighborhood (but probably not all in one day like you). Thanks for taking the time to post the RR :clap:

3. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
  4. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Excellent job. Well done and thanks for sharing.

5. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Holy saddle sores, Batman! Epic ride and a great RR. Very well done :clap:

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Kudos on the idea, researching it, doing it and taking the time to write a ride report and take pictures along the way and post them!

Where did you get that burger?

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Not even 13,000' of climbing? Phhhsshhh - wussy! I get that much vertical in only 6 rides.

OK, that was sarcasm. Holy crap that's an unbelievable day and HUGE stats. I got hungry just reading your Garmin. Congrats.

:beer:

8. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Burger courtesy of The Counter... 1/3 lb Bison cooked Blue, with Ham, Bacon, Fried Onions, Grilled Onions, Onions, Swiss Cheese, some more Swiss Cheese, some leafy green sprouts for the healthy factor, Ranch Dressing, all on a Pretzel Bun.

My favorite Post-Ride Meal Location. Its not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

9. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Hmm...The Counter huh, gotta hit that place up soon!