Revised Angeles National Forest Closure

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by ANF FS Ranger, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ANF FS Ranger

ANF FS Ranger New Member

The link to the revised Angeles National Forest Closure is at the following link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/

I will be glad to answer questions on this post or by email, [email protected]. We tried to focus on the black, burned areas but went beyond in places where the control points may have been easier in a non-burned area.

Mike

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

The Station Fire, Exhibit B map is illegible. Do you have a link to a clearer version?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Environmental Planner
    or if there is a link to where we could download GIS shapefiles would be great. I couldn't find it on the R5 GIS clearinghouse site.

Thanks!

4. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

Thanks Mike,
    If the boundry is along a trail, say the Sturtevant section does that mean that section is open?

From reading the boundry of closures it sounds like these trails are now open: Trails in Chantry flat area; Sturtevant tr; Mt Wilson Tr; Mt Wilson Toll Road; Idlehour Tr; Middle Merrill Tr; Lower Merrill Tr; Conector to Chaney (12W14A?); Chaney Tr. And of course most stuff east of Hwy 39 and Wrightwood.

If so that is a great start.
    Any news of when the Crystal Lake area will re-open? I hope the rest of the San Gabs won't be closed as long as it has after the fire there years ago.

5. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    A better map would be nice - the USFS maps for orders etc are always horrible.

I would hope that when this emergency order ends its' one year term that the forest would reopen or go thru the planning process to keep it closed. The continual rollover of 1 yr ememrgency closures really chaps my hide.

6. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Thanks for the update.

7. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Is the road to Chantry open? Is the access to Idlehour trail open from end of Lake Ave (Lower Sam Merrill Trail)?

Exhibits are hard to read, but it looks and reads like the trails around Chantry, (Zion, Winter Creek, Wilson Trail, Stuertevant), are now open. I'm assuming the road to Chantry is closed but the surrounding trails are open?

ANF website has information, but is needlessly confusing. Both "current conditions" and "newsroom" don't have access updates, only the "forest orders" link has the language which is not clear. However, based on your post, I'm planning on riding Idlehour trail soon.

Given the high penalty ($5000) for being in the closure area, it would really help everyone if exhibit B could be of higher quality and there was some clarification on riding the roads/trails that are on the closure boundary.

Thanks, glad there's at least a little bit of area open.

8. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    maybe somebody who lives in the area can stop and pick up a map and ask a few questions. I'd do it, but I'm working all day in Costa Mesa.

9. ANF FS Ranger

ANF FS Ranger New Member

I apologize for the map, i have been working with a 7.5 series topo which is much easier to see. I will see about getting a better map posted or something. The narrative (the other exhibit) should help figure out the area.

10. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Thank you very much for the info. As I'm sure you know, many of us are anxious to ride in the ANF once again, but we don't want to ride closed areas. So while it seems some trails we would like to ride are open, we just want to be 100%. We don't want to mess up any recovery nature is attempting, let alone be fine or incarcerated.

11. davidB

davidB Active Member

I heard that Chantry is open, but the paved road up is closed. If you want to climb the road the trails will be there waiting for you.

12. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    We did that for a couple of years while the road was closed to due a couple of landslides. It was nice because the trails had no hikers but I felt sorry for the Pack Station. The Pack Station owner back then had to sell because of lack of business. Back then you needed to be careful because the mules where loose out there and you never knew when you might come across one on the trail.

Dean

13. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

As of this morning (Friday), Chantry gate was still locked with a closed sign. I'm thinking if it was open for general use, the gate wouldn't be locked. Again, proceed at your own risk.

14. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Waiting to hear about Chantry. It would be cool if the gate is closed yet have access to the open trails! My fingers are crossed!

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

As of Wednesday September 30th, Chantry, the Mt. Wilson toll road & Mt Lowe toll road are open (but only up to around the Idlehour trail). Chantry part of Angeles National Forest is open and you will not be ticketed. The sticky and confusing part is the toll gate that's still locked resides in the city of Sierra Madre and they have chosen to keep the gate locked due to high fire dangers. I doubt the city cares if you hop the gate. They just are not allowing cars up there just yet. The closure borders are very confusing so it's going to be interesting how they're going to mark it clearly or provide maps of closures. For instance, all of Winter Creek, Zion and The Gab is open but the Newcomb Pass Trail leading up to The Rim trail and Rincon Fire road is closed and off limits. The Merrill's up to Inspiration Point are open again but not beyond. Again, very confusing but at least we have that much to access.

(Vic, are you reading this?) :lol:

16. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Thanks for all the updates, Mike. I just got off the phone with Sierra Madre City Hall. They must not be in the loop as they knew nothing of the opening. They did say they would re-open the gate, once they receive word from The US Forestry Service officials. It would be great if someone @ your office could contact the city of Sierra Madre to let them know it's open. The guy to contact is Bruce Imnan @ 626-355-7135 X 801. He's the director of public works and has jurisdiction over this matter. Thanks again!

17. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Joe,

I'm assuming you got this info from the USFS ranger, Mike?

I think I'll give this a go this weekend!

18. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Chantry opening confirmed per USFS Ranger!!!

"The Winter Creek Trail segments are open to the toll road.

Gabrielino Trail north of its intersection with the Sturtevant Trail to Newcombs Pass is closed." :(:(:(

Time to ride!

19. Piranha

Piranha Member

Check your email

20. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    "Chantry opening confirmed per USFS Ranger!!! "
    Yea, well prepare to park your car at the base because SMPD has not unlocked the gate as of Friday.

I may print out the USFS notice, tuck it in my jersey pocket and road bike to Chantry this PM. In dire need of a fix.