Ride Report Rethinking The Oaks

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Dec 4, 2010.

1. g-dub

g-dub Member

The trailwork events I've attended at Oaks have been typically well subscribed---if you get there late they run out of implements. Which is great, you can take turns when you get a little winded. Even an equestrian or two will show up, and I once saw a hiker in the mix--though it's still 90% bike. It is a well-loved park.

2. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Any maps of the new trails? Interested to see how everything links up. I guess the option would be to just go out and explore!

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    there is one on the santiago oaks regional park page of ocparks.com

4. 420

420 New Member

Are there any "more challenging" trail on the agenda? I used to love the flowing top section we called Zips before they came through and made the sweeping berms before the waterfall (on the right fork) into a straight gouge through the center.

Seems like there are many places for fast super-technical (read: rocks and drops) descents that would be suitable for the adrenalin challenged MTBers amongst us.

Any plans for this or maybe an allowance for a volunteer crew to come in an make a "black diamond" trail?

5. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

Here are some maps I have been working on. If I can figure out how, I will post the .gpx (actually, the system won't let me post the .gpx file, but pm me if you want it) and try to link it to Google Maps. Obviously, I haven't ridden all the trails in Oaks. Also, these maps are a network made by algorithm from a bunch of tracks, so I know that Goat and Waterfall aren't exact. However, I have ensured that New Chutes and Old Chutes are exact.

This is the entire network, including Weir:
    [​IMG]

This is the a closeup of Weir:
    [​IMG]

Oaks North section:
    [​IMG]

Oaks Center section:
    [​IMG]

Oaks South section
    [​IMG]

6. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The network is as accurate as the GPX you supply and even more accurate when the software averages tracks of the same trail. If you think you've included a track from a trail the has been re-routed delete it.

STR says gpx is valid as attachments.
    I like seeing trails in Google Earth, save your network as kml or kmz.

Fully Loop attached - does it work?

Attached Files:

7. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

Yep, the .kmz file does work. The issue, I believe, with my .gpx file is the size - it is 1.7MB and it has an error exclamation point after I upload it. I created a .kmz file, but with the labels it needs a little work. I will post it later today.

You are also correct that the tracks are averaged, but where the network algorithm gets funny is when two tracks are close together (e.g., goat and water fall). If you look closely at the map, you will see areas where they are one trail, and that one trail doesn't follow either accurately. I have to specify to the algorithm a reduction value (how far apart two tracks can be before they are not considered the same trail) are together and a contraction value (a value for when a spur is considered part of the trail (e.g., you stop on the side of the trail a little off the beaten path). When the algorithm makes a mistake, I can correct it, but it takes a little time. You are also right that I should delete trails that no longer exist.

8. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

9. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    :-k:-k:-k Hmmm...with all the new trails maybe a Nothing Twice Oaks day could be something fun.

10. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I tried to hit oaks today-forgot it rained so hard just a day ago. The usual 3 b's-chutes loop was dry but anything inbetween needs another day or two (imo.) The place looks amazing! It's like a whole new park with all the work they've done on it! Big props to the contractor/planners especially if it's true they're doing it all pro-bono!

p.s. Is the third Bitch off limits now?

11. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

That's a good question - I have seen a lot of people continue to ride it. And there is a good argument that a prescriptive easement exists for mountain bikers, which is an easement that arises from extended open trespass that over a sufficient time matures into an easement for legal use. Also, note that it appears that the park has posted the no trespassing sign, not the owner of the land. So who knows.

But all things considered, there is very little in Oaks that is now inaccessible via funner climbs than the B's (for example, Goat or New Chutes singletrack climbs). I would recommend skipping them. My 2c. I don't think I have climbed all three B's for months.

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I think this obligates you to put it on the calendar ;)

I'd be in fur sur, need a tour guide for the new stuff!

13. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    So I took a ride through Oaks this morning and was shocked. I got to the waterfall section that leads out to the back of Irvine Park and they destroyed the entire trail. The only way down now is the easy line. Some of the other work had been OK because they left the fun lines with an easy option. I guess I'll be staying away from that park for a while.

14. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    I too have had a change of heart regarding Oaks. The new trails are such a blast!

15. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

I was out there Saturday morning and was bummed to see that the fun stuff on the bottom of chutes has been closed. Are they going to re-open those parts of the trails? I like the new stuff, great switchbacks up and down, but I liked the tech sections more. I was also surprised at how many people were there...I've never seen that many people there before, maybe it was the good weather.

16. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

17. j3rmz

j3rmz New Member

So I live REALLY close to Santiago Oaks but never really seemed attracted to trying it out because of the 3 B's. I usually ride Whiting, some Aliso, some San Juan, some Fully, but after reading this thread it caught my interest and decided to go explore with 2 buddies last weekend. What a blast! I'll definitely be checking it out more.

One question I have is, is there a specific direction you're supposed/allowed to go? We wanted to avoid the 3 B's and check out the new trail work so we started from the Jamboree side and cut through Blair Witch and went up the new Chutes trail, and came back the same way to beat sunset. Are we allowed to climb Chutes? What about the other trails (ie. Cactus, Bumble Bee, Yucca)? Are they one way?

I just don't want to go the wrong direction or get in anybodys way. Any information would be helpful. TIA!

18. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

None of the new trails are one way. Go exploring!!!

19. j3rmz

j3rmz New Member

Freakin' awesome. Now if it only doesn't rain this weekend =(

20. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I have climbed all of them - bumblebee, new chutes (my new favorite route to the top), cactus canyon, goat, deer... all are two way. Just keep your eyes peeled for guys coming down.