Resizing Multiple JPEG's for Mac Users

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Jul 5, 2007.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Resizing multiple jpeg's for mac users that don't own photoshop/imageready is sometimes a hassle because iPhoto surprisingly doesn't have an option to export jpeg's at a different quality. Just resizing the dimensions down might not be enough when trying to shrink the filesize for uploading to the web (including the STR photo gallery).

I found an article that reviewed some free jpeg resizers: Macworld: Mac Gems: Easy resizing

I tried resize and it worked well and it's easy to use (drag folder of images onto the dock icon). Only drawback vs. the paid adobe software -- the image quality at a certain quality % isn't as good as the image quality at the same % when using Photoshop or Imageready.

If you're on a powerPC mac, that other program (PhotoToolCM) looks like it's worth a shot.

So to summarize:
    • iPhoto DOESN'T do quality settings, only resizes dimensions
    • properly resized photos not only upload a lot faster but also works better with online gallery software (including the STR gallery)
    • check out the MacWorld article which reviews free resizers
    • resize and adjust quality settings before uploading photos! (I usually do around 1000pixels wide and 60-70% quality)

2. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    I'll have to check those out. looking into getting a DSLR so software will also be a must.

still getting used to my MacBook Pro... not really sure if I like it anymore or anyless than a PC/Laptop. What I do love about it is the graphics/image quality and how damn thin and light it is for a 17" book [in this regard it's super slick!] JMO.

3. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Did you get one with the new LED backlight LCDs? from what I could tell they weren't much brighter, but performed way better in the battery dept.

George: If you ever run bootcamp or parallels, you could check out ACDSee Photo Software

4. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Thanks for the heads up George!

I just got my MacBook Tues. It was a battle trying to get it approved from Corp but I now own a black MacBook. I've already loaded CS2 so I need to figure out how to resize photos with a script or something. If you have some quick and nifty advice, that would be great too!

Chaos, you can load Boot Camp and still run Windows XP or Vista. I've got mine set up to boot into XP as the primary drive and OSX secondary. It's still a work machine and I've got a lot of work apps.

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Congrats! Did you already max out the memory (2gb). Makes a good difference - OS X loves memory.

Not sure if this is installed by default but ImageReady (photoshop's web specific program) automatically put options in the context menu (right click) to change the quality of photos to 60.

I usually do this . . . download photos from camera into iPhoto. Use iPhoto to retouch, crop, whatever. Batch export the ones I want and resize them in the process. Select all the exported pics, right click, then select open with -> make jpeg (quality 60). That last step uses ImageReady.

Sometimes I'll do retouching or stitching in Photoshop.

6. Sprockethead

Network Admin
    Yup, got 2GB in it already. I like it alot, it's 2 machines in one. It took me a really long time to go back to Apple laptops. I was one of the original PowerBook 5300 owners and I'm still pissed off about that machine. They really screwed the owners on that POS.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice, I'll try it out on my next RR. Hopefully, it'll make things easier.

7. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    This is on my To-Do list... I've been running/attempting to use RemoteDesktop for Mac with mixed results and I need it to be more stable [however this could be an internet/VPN connection issue] so I'm gonna attempt this.

I'm already looking into upgrading the RAM from Crucial
    know of any trusted place to get this other than Apple? I don't want to be rapped again :lol:

8. Sprockethead

Network Admin
    CDW sold me EDGE tech 1GB RAM sticks at $61 a pop. I probably would have gotten it cheaper on Pricewatch | Lower prices on computers, laptops, mp3 players, motherboards, computer parts and electronics but since the company is paying for it, I didn't shop around.

I've been very happy running Boot Camp. All the drivers work and I'm able to run the admin pak and work on AD. I haven't tried Remote Desktop, but I'll report back. Also, Citrix runs pretty good...infact, this machine boots up faster than our new ThinkPads.

9. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    That's a pretty good price that Andy got for the RAM. Try here if you want to go NewEgg. Von-diggity used Apple's Remote Desktop to administer 40+ Mac's and it always seemed to work flawlessly. That was pretty much a local network, though (same subnet).