Ride Report Repercussions of chasing 3:30

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by coolbreeze, Mar 17, 2012.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    It was really wide and all chopped up. Reminded me of someone doing a remodel and bailing after the demolition.

What I've tried doing with the Luge is keeping it as close to how it was before the fire, but add in sustainability. I put in all the drainage cuts through the original road berms because its a trough and rain water wants to turn it into a big rut. Very little rutting after these storms; just a little shale slide on that hump coolbreeze was talking about.

The turning berms I installed are an attempt to update trailwork from the days before mountain bikes. Hiking trails were traditionally out-sloped to drain water, but on outside turns they eject riders. The design has out-lived its usefulness on multi-use trails, and we're seeing berms pop-up on trails in County Parks and National Forests.

Plus, bermed turns are faster, and that'll help the OP break 3:30.

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

Yep, a little rush through the narrow section and then on to something else. Well, there's still a little narrowness left after the initial drop, so hopefully that'll do.

The rain didn't really do much damage to the trail, and the dirt will be nice and tacky for a few days.

3. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

kioti- you make the luge a fun trail. last time i rode it i was so happy to see more technical chunk, hopefully the dbag doesnt mess the trail up

4. kioti

kioti Active Member

^^ I hope so, too. He's complained about the brake bumps, how there's too much brush, how shitty it's been since I've been working on it..

I suggested he ride somewhere else. Like maybe on a bike path.

5. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

coolbreeze, do you know how lucky you are??? lol

kioti: thanks for working on all the trails in that area. being a newb the luge is still pretty hard for me, but I wouldn't want it to be dumbed down, i'd rather learn how to ride it better.

6. melster

melster Member

Software
    coolbreeze, I was sniffing around on your contour page and I saw your vid where you helped that guy out who crashed on Lynx. Good for you.

7. greo

greo New Member

Sales
    My vote for quote of the year......
    "I wouldn't want it to be dumbed down, I’d rather learn how to ride it better"
    Also, we are going to start seeing a lot of this due to the "STRAVA" effect. Look at Meadow in AW, more short cuts than ever. Now the luge...if you make it easier the fast will still be faster so just ride the trail the way it is. Kioti - I applaud your years of hard work on the luge, you truly keep that thing in shape and interesting and I appreciate it. :clap:

8. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    STRAVA is misleading....especially on the luge times. If you look at all of the guys that ran under 3 minutes and many under 3:30 you'll see that the times of their runs were stopped way before the finally switchbacks at the bottom. My time on STRAVA is 3:43, but I go off my camera which is 3:45. 15 seconds away from 3:30 is a lot of time, but I'm sure I'll get there. I felt really good on this run and was taking the corners a bit quicker. I'm sure I would've shaved off about 5 seconds if I didn't go down. Anyway, back to the drawing board.

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

I've heard that about STRAVA times, too. I just use a watch and time myself from the top to just past the creek crossing. Usually around 4 minutes. Not the fastest, but not the slowest, but I like pushing myself, too. Having some vague finish line is OK if everyone knows where it is, but misleading for the rest of us.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

2nd best quote..."if you make it easier the fast will still be faster so just ride the trail the way it is."

On one of my 1st experiences with this guy, he cut a straight line where a turn used to be. I ended up moving the trail back where it had started and putting in a berm. But hey, we could probably get all our times under 2 minutes if we "fixed" it enough.

My vote is leave it alone and shoot for 3:30, if that's your goal. Sometimes it's cool to roll it slow, too.

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I doubt a lot of the fastest guys will take shortcuts unless they are forced too. These guys would prefer the more technical parts.

12. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    kioti: I get your frustration, being that you do as much trailwork as you do out there. You've kept the trail in good shape, and it's appreciated.

If you disagree with this guy's trail mods though, drop the 'internet fairness' or whatever it is and just call the guy out. I cannot stand it when people refuse to name individuals/shops/whatever; essentially, the onus is on you if you have seen or heard this straight from whomever he is, and say nothing. If you know his plans for trail work, and no one else does, and then changes happen that the rest of the community thinks are not right for the trail...you will have played a part in it.

edit - If you actually name him, it will give him the ability to defend himself and/or explain his reasoning (provided he's on str). If we want this to be a 'community' thing, this is how you make it one.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I understand your point, but I'm not going to name him because 1) most of us here go by avatars and are therefore anonymous, and 2) I'm not interested in getting in a pissing contest. I see this forum as an opportunity to share ideas and updates on conditions, RR's, etc. I don't see it as a sort of people's court.

The point is, the Luge was around before I started working on it, and it'll (hopefully) be around after I stop. Based on my dedication to it after the fire, the Forest Service gave me authority to conduct and supervise trailwork on it. I do this with the goal of getting it into the system, and therefore protected for future generations. I also include the mountain bike community whenever I can, regarding both decision-making and actual trailwork.

I posted about the changes because most people know I've done the bulk of the work over the last 4 years. I didn't want to leave his work as it stood because I felt it was done poorly and not completed properly, and I also didn't want to be blamed for it. The matter will be decided by the Forest Service, and I'll abide by their decision.

coolbreeze, I apologize for getting your thread off-track. Be safe out there.

14. D man

D man Ride til u smile

I was there yesterday and saw all the work that had been done and felt like something was missing, and Now I know. Its just disappointing, the Luge is an incredible trail; narrow, fast, and CHALLENGING. I remember my first time down it last year all my senses were spiked with maximum pucker going on, all I could do is hold on to the bike and enjoy the ride. Made it to the bottom and revelled in the adrenaline fueled accomplishment.
    Thanks for all the work you do Kioti I've rather enjoyed every bit of it, and to the other guy if you would like to help "PLEASE" follow kioti's trail maintence philosophy.

15. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

The same thing happened out in hulda. Someone decided to take out some of the ladders. If you cant ride the damn trail go do irvine park or peters canyon or take up road riding. Dont modify a trail to make it easier because you are a wuss and cant handle it.

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Hulda isn't the same. Those weren't built by people who run the trail. Kinda like some jumps people want to tell everyone about that aren't official and one day may disappear, especially if someone gets really hurt and tries to sue.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

OK, coolbreeze, you're good to go (as long as you're all healed up).

I just got back from a ride to check the overall condition of the loop, and see how the modification worked. Overall fine condition and fast, tacky dirt. The section we've been talking about has good flow and will take a few seconds off your time. Sorta like a Stepford wife: pretty and sweet but not a lot of sass.

Flag to creek bottom 15 seconds faster than usual.

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Just rode the Luge this am and it was fun as always.

True, the actual "Luge" section does seem a bit tame but for all out "strava" speed its pretty enjoyable.

Had one of my fastest times down the Luge, putting in a 3:19 on my watch and lo and behold my Garmin agreed:) When I loaded to the strava site this am it was right there too so I wonder where the discrepancies come from? Smart phone app is off for some riders? satellite positioning:lol:?

Regardless it was fun to feel like I was going fast and to then see it was true, I hope lol! And the big bonus was I was on my 29er hardtail with a 120mm fork up front:bang:

Truly appreciate all the work Kioti has done there, still one of my favorite trails!

19. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    That's nuts! Wonder how much faster for you on a FS......It'll probably take me 5 minutes on my HT!

Also, I think you're right about discrepencies coming from smart phone apps.

20. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    He's ALWAYS faster on a Hardtail! ALWAYS :)