Removing graphics from alloy bars

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by JackG, Mar 9, 2014.

1. JackG

JackG New Member

I have a set of alloy bars that I like, but hate the graphics. What is the best way to remove graphics from alloy bars without damaging the anodizing? Is the anodizing chemically stable so I can just use good old nasty caustic paint remover? Are there concerns about affecting the metal?

2. .:Made in OC:.

.:Made in OC:. New Member

A handful of bars are laser etched onto the aluminum, which wont be able to be removed if you dont strip the entire bar. I would double check to see if they are actually painted and cleared over the bars or if they are laser etched.

3. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I'd use a heat gun or blow dryer and start peeling off if they're stickers. Then I'd test in a spot that's covered by the grips with goo gone to see if it strips the anodizing.

4. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    anodize is the base metal, but depending upon what type, it can be very thin, about a half micron for cheep anodize. Do not abrade on the coating and you should be fine. If the anodized surface is filled with an organic sealer you should be careful what solvent you use. (to disolve the graphics). You should be able to call the mfr and ask what coating was used. If you are calling outside the US, good luck with that......
    Happy trails in the wind.
    May it be a tail wind, with a cooling blast at the top of the hill.

5. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Do not use a caustic solvent. Caustic is what is used to remove anodizing. If it's just painted on graphics you should be fine using just acetone.

6. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    What rojo said. In all probability, the color is either going to be stickers or paint. Stickers get the heat gun, paint gets acetone, mek, or some kind of neuron-damaging voc. Don't use anything that's excessively acidic or caustic on any type of aluminum.

Example:
    Ever put polished aluminum kitchen utensils, platters or bowls in the dishwasher with caustic detergent? They don't come out so pretty any more, do they?

On the bright side, the super thin anodized layer is crazy hard. It's difficult to damage it's surface. The underlying material is a different story. If all else fails, you can use fine brass wool or steel wool, but use it with discretion.

7. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    The Dude does not abrade...