reducing/buffering lactic acid buildup?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by capnsavem, Dec 7, 2007.

1. D. Diamond

D. Diamond New Member

By the way, re: baking soda...
    For events lasting 7 minutes or LESS in duration baking soda has been shown to be effective (in many studies, not all).
    If you want to try it (maybe in a match sprint track race, wouldn't do much good for a mtb race) take 300 milligrams per kilogram of body weight mixed into 32 oz of water or sports drink 1-2 hours before you start your race.
    If you do try it let me know how it works... I wouldn't try it, LOL! But then again I am always racing for at least an hour so it wouldn't be effective anyway.

2. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army

go to any local market/drugstore like vons, cvs, save on etc and buy a thing of acid reducer..
    its a tiny pill but sometimes i get acid reflux or acid buildup or a burning sensation in my throat, and i take one and it helps really well

3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Baking soda USED to be used as an antacid, but beware, because it can screw with your blood's normal pH balance. There have been cases, in critical care units, in which people are admitted due to daily ingested baking soda with a condition called "Alkalosis" (too little acid). This messes with your respiratory system (lungs), kidneys, and your electrolyte balance. Hence that it USED be used common to use as an antacid.

With symptoms like muscle twitching, it seems counterproductive to try using it for anything that you need your muscles functioning for (like cycling).

Patience and training, coupled with proper nutrition, are the best and safest ways to combat muscle fatigue and such. Of course, you'll always have a lactate threshold.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec12/ch159/ch159c.html
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001183.htm