Redlands Strada Rossa Mixed Surface Ride - March 15

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

Well you're missing the strava segments, but thank you! I'll print a few copies.

2. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    For anyone wanting to map the course on their phone and doesn't have a dedicated GPS, listed below is a copy of the course in .kml/kmz format that anyone who has Google Earth installed on their phone should be able to open in order to view the map/satellite imagery on the ride (might be good to zoom in and cache the map tiles before the ride in case you don't have cell phone coverage).

View attachment RedlandsStradaRossa-map.kmz

EDIT: ^- compressed .kmz file above may not open on phones. See new link in post #84 listed below.

3. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

You're awesome, Eric!

4. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    The last link is a compressed .kmz file that I just tried on my Android phone and it wouldn't open. I re-did the conversion using gpsvisualizer.com and attached below is the uncompressed .kml file. If you open the forums from your phone, click the link and either download the .kml file or if prompted, choose to open in Google Earth (which needs to be installed).

View attachment RedlandStradaRossa-map.kml
    ^- Uploaded to forums. Good for saving onto computer but probably won't work from phone, use second link instead.

Alternate download link for phones…

Also if anyone checks the forums before heading out in the morning and wants to print some backup maps, I put together a .pdf (~7MB) of all the dirt/trail sections. You can download by right-clicking, "save-as" this link. There's zoomed-out. overview maps and then on what looks like tricky to navigate sections, close-up maps. You may want to number the pages after printing. I also attempted to put some symbols on the maps to make it easier to line up and track the route across different maps/pictures.

5. Rolling Fat Guy

Rolling Fat Guy New Member

Strada Rossa = My a$$ was worked by Zorro.

Bailed at mile 41. Total was 51.6 miles and 4,446 ft of elevation.

Time to train harder for next year.

Dave. Mark and the rest of IEBA, thanks for setting up the ride and your hospitality at the "Finish Line" party!!

6. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    This was a great ride! I found the last 25 miles definitely the toughest, riding on San Timeteo a terror, and the people I met so friendly and helpful. It was challenging, but doable. A big thanks to all who helped put this on, and certainly whoever donated their house for the after ride party. That band playing had talent.....Thanks for a great day! I feel guilty it didn't cost anything, other than $20 for a tee shirt, and $10 for a Strada Rossa glass full of cold brew :)

7. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I agree with Emejay. Although I think the last 25 probably wouldn't be that hard if I started there. But, by that time I was worked. And that San Tim section at the beginning sucked. People were flying by us and were way too close. The 2nd section heading up it after the descent down Redlands Blvd. wasn't as bad because it's less traveled. And I am sitting here enjoying my beer out of one of those nice Inland Empire Biking Alliance glasses. Woohoo!

8. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Good job guys, that looked like a tough one!

9. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Everybody, thank you so much for supporting us in this event. This was a labor of love, by a lot of people that wanted to really make this happen. The entire cycling community out here SO STEPPED UP and volunteered time and money (often the same thing). I hope you folks that were able to ride this really enjoyed it, saw some new areas, got some ideas for your own rides.

Mark Friis from IEBA was the guy cooking in case you are wondering, and did almost all of the organizing. Just amazing!

I wish I was able to say hi to more of you there. Please know that I can't thank you enough for taking a chance on this.

Initial photos here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/redlands-strada-rossa/ More will be uploaded by the other photogs.

Everyone is pretty much in agreement that we're going to run it again next spring, so all the feedback as well as positive word of mouth is appreciated!

Final riders came in @ 6:30... 10 1/2 (Or 9 1/2 depending on their start!) hours on the course! But they cleared it!!!

10. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Photos looks great. Everyone seems to be having a great time out there. Hoping to be fit enough this time next year and join in on the fun. Hats off to all the riders and especially the folks who put this ride together.

11. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Simply amazing. Easily the most fun I've ever had on my cross-bike, and definitely up there as one of the coolest events around. The Strada Rossa refreshed my faith in humanity and reminds me how lucky we are to share the cycling bond.

I expected the route to be really fun, and my expectations were exceeded! The cue sheet proved essential and the chalk arrows were there when I needed them. Beautiful Route, beautiful people, beautiful day!
    I will be jazzed on this event all the way to the next one.

Thanks! IEBA!

12. CarlS

CarlS Member

please do it again next year. hopefully I won't get sick.

13. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I kept looking for a silver Jet 9 all day, and didn't see it..now I know why! You missed a fun day...challenging but quite doable, and the weather was perfect. You would have found your bike to be a good choice, as I found my 29er the bike of choice for the last 20 miles (lots of dirt).

Does anyone know how many of those that started completed the whole course? It seemed that many bailed after Reche Cyn, as I saw much fewer riders after that. I'm looking forward to next year :) TY again IEBA for putting this on.

14. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    Great course, I bailed at the 2nd crossing of San Timoteo and headed back to town, that was scary going up hill. Did a little over 37 miles. I definitely need to train if I ever want to finish this ride. May be I will head over to Crafton Hills just to do that section!!

15. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I can't say enough how pleased I am with the event. The route, the conditions, and especially the people were fantastic! The goals were to 1) promote riding in the IE 2) promote Redlands as a destination 3) get people out of their comfort zone (I'm a roadie, I'm a enduro rider, I'm a randonneur) and 4) put on a kick-ass ride. Damn if all goals weren't met! The route was tough intentionally. There were sand traps and rock gardens for roadies, plenty of highway for the MTBers, and 7K feed of climbing for everyone! What's not to like??? I love the comments above, thank you for them! And let us know what can be improved upon, as we definitely want to have a 2015 version of this. Mark your calendars, March 2015!

Here is the one photo that makes me the happiest and summarizes the ride for me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30046058@N02/13194342543/
    I mean really, these guys got it going on!

BTW, Went out this morning and erased the trail markings. For those that were on the ride, this shows the final turn coming out of the eucalyptus grove by San Timoteo Creek: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/13203650355
    130+ bikes went through here making a sharp turn, and you can't even see damage to the trail. Bike riders using public space responsibly!!! I also asked several hikers on the trail how "All those bikes were treating them" and they were all enthusiastically positive and even happy to see everyone out there!

THANKS everyone! Serious, we're doing this again next year!!!

16. abhemet

abhemet New Member

Had alot fun at this event. Thanks to sweeper for riding with me to the 10. He was the last person I saw until the end of ride until around grape street where I think I saw the sag guy yea out the window of his SUV or truck want some water I said no and road on. once I got up the dam I missed turn ended up by the 39special trail I think when I noticed I was off course. So I said forget it went to the 38hwy few down that and made my way back the route. I ended up only missing the top section of crafton hills but I have rode that before. This event was alot different than road events and mtb events I have been too. So ended up only doing 62 miles of the route. The interesting thing that I noticed everybody called you by your bike model. So when I was out there they were calling me Fargo. I think you guys should have a few more of these events. I would do this event again. Thanks for setting it up.

17. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Man, sounds like you still had a full day out there! You still did a whole metric, just missed out on some of the climbing. We'll count that!!! Hope the traffic on Hwy 38 wasn't too bad. Beautiful ride, but a lot of cars coming down off the mountain wanting to get home.

Saw a Fargo at the after-party... frame bags and orange hubs? Looked like a great bike!

As with everyone, THANKS for coming out for this, and taking a chance on it!

18. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I "hear" that "some" cough...cough... of the last riders to come in may have started at the nine o'clock hour, so that would technically be 9.5 hours. :)

I think it was around the Woodhouse Rd. turn-off that my three hours of sleep and partial dehydration caught up with me. A few miles later at the Chevron station I packed it in, took a long break, and left with and decided to stick with the last group of riders to complete the course. Had almost no energy and did the hike-a-bike in many sections but completed the ride. I forgot to restart my GPS in one downhill sections for maybe half a mile but my distance came to 66 miles and something like 6500 feet of elevation gain (with one-second recording).

For me the water stops were paramount to being able to complete the ride. It was also great to have the painted arrows as there were a few areas I would have taken a lot slower if they weren't marked. I saw the email about the intent to do it again and the only other suggestion I might add is that if another spring ride is planned to do it a little earlier in the year. It was a touch warmer than usually last weekend and with the amount of climbing and not being certain about the water situation, potential for missing a stop to refill, etc. it might have been tough. The miles on hot blacktop pavement really sapped my reserves before even getting to the hills towards the end.

Great time though and big thanks to everyone who helped make this happen and to everyone else who stuck it out. Looks forward to hacking off a couple hours next time and now that I've seen of the trails the area has to offer might start doing some pre-rides well before then.

19. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Timing is duly noted! :)
    And Eric, those que-sheets are FANTASTIC! Thank you for putting them together and distributing them at the start. That's something we really need to do for next round, so be prepared to be hit up on designing them!!!
    Timing is a tough one... if the ride was today, weather would be 77F and perfect! We wanted to do it after the spring time change to get extra sunlight w/out having to have a super early start. A lot of people traveled from out of the area, and getting up @ 4:00 ain't so much fun. Tough call, and will be taken into consideration!
    We want to have dedicated SAG stops, rather than a roving one that had to pack up and move on. But that takes more volunteers, organization, water jugs, easy ups, etc. But we know that was one of the areas we can improve upon.
    THANKS again for making this one!

20. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member