Recovery Time Before Riding After Dislocated Shoulder?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by HBeric, Nov 23, 2009.

1. HBeric

HBeric New Member

Commercial Real Estate
    Thank you everyone for the great input.

Met with my doctor last Wednesday, which was about 2.5 weeks post injury. He said that everything looked to be on track for a full recovery without surgery, and he told me that I could stop wearing the immobilizer. He gave me a sling (to be worn in public all of the time, and optional at all other times), a prescription for physical therapy (pool based) and sent me on my way. My next appointment is at about 6 weeks post injury.

I hadn't noticed much improvement in my shoulder up until my doctor appointment last week, but since then, it is feeling much better (in terms of less pain, slightly more strength and more flexibility). I do realize, however, that I have a long way to go before my wheels are back on the dirt.

2. OVOleg

OVOleg New Member

way overly optimistic. I am 24 and i tore the ligaments in my shoulder, my labrum to be specific by falling off a bike and putting my hand out to ease the blow.

Was having pain when doing specific activities for 4 months after the accident and it got better over the first month and then hurt the rest of the way here and there.

I had surgery and now that I'm 6 months out of surgery i can MTB and do everything like normal again without worry. 3 months post surgery I could ride on the road but my tear wasnt that bad compared to most people. My doctor said no MTB or anything extreme. Slowly but surely with physical therapy I was able to regain my range of motion.

Its a very slow healing process. Go get a second opinion as well. You are pretty young still, do you want shoulder problems?

3. TrailMonkey

TrailMonkey New Member

After a 30 mph OTB, I hit the trails after 3 weeks, get out as soon as the pains gone. My doctor told me to drop the sling as soon as I can and keep moving, I now have 100% mobility with no impingement
    [​IMG]