Recommend a chainguide/crankset

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by 92se-r, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I screwed up when I first looked it up, I looked at the 8, not the nine, Still there both using a 73mm shell. Back when teh 9 came out it wasnt a huge issue, didnt matter what shell you had, you just needed to change the Spindle length on your BB and you could get your chainline correct. Nowadays with the multitude of external BB systems out there you get stuck with a chainline that is dictated by the SHell width. Race face came up with a simple solution to the Demo, and Truvativ's howitzer still uses a Spindle with its external bearing.

The offest hub idea was a good idea, but it isnt practical. Cant just grab a wheel and throw it on the bike, you have to properly dish it first. I have a really cool tool for this at the shop, its a spacer that you stick on the non drive side of teh wheel, then Build/true away in your park tools truing stands.

As to why Speccy decided to do this on there bikes......Who knows.....Is it a hube dilema, no.

2. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I'd love to dude. You just need to move to San Diego. LOL. Any good rides up there?

So basically the new wheel I got I'd have to redish?

3. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah there is some good riding up this way. I wish I could afford to move to San diego.

As far as your wheel, no its the 135 that is offset. but your BB shell throws off the chainline when using external bearing type BB systems.

On current bikes, a 150 rear end uses an 83mm BB, and it lines up the chainline when using 83MM crank systems like Saints, Raceface ETC. The Demo's have a 73MM BB, which brings your chainline in too far for the 150 rear end, which there are some simple solutions to. The RF method, whoich is basicaly two extra 5mm chainline spacers and installing an 83MM system on the 73MM shell, Or using the Howitzer system, which is as simple as it was originally on your bike, get the BB with the right SPindle for the chainline you desire.

4. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    gotcha. thanks for all your help.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Absolutly, feel free to give me a call if you need anymore help on it. I am partial to the truvativ's on those because they are really easy to set up properly.

6. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Specialized is stupid... :)

7. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
  8. Edog

Edog Member

I have a Truvativ Hussefelt crankset for sale with BB, brand new never installed with a chainguide that has been used a few times, the chainguide is pictured with a used Holzfeller which I would also sell with the new BB, both are 175mm crank arms pm me if you're interested

Attached Files:

9. Lor

Lor New Member

special ed teacher
    I had a demo 9 pro and it was 150mm spacing with 128 BB. The demo 8 has a 135 rear spacing. If they do make the external BB for that length then i think you must change your crankset too. ???

10. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking to go lighter and also shorten my crank arms to 165. I smack them sometimes with the 170.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Well those are a standard Isis drive crank, you should be able to bolt those right up to your exisiting BB, that or use the same SPindle length you have when you replace your BB and all will be well with the world.