Recommend a chainguide/crankset

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by 92se-r, Nov 16, 2008.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I have a 2004 Demo 9. It is a 73mmx128mm spindle bottom bracket setup. I currently have a two ring setup and want to switch to a single ring with a chainguide.

Can I run an external bottom bracket setup or am I stuck with older ISIS drive stuff? Thanks.

2. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    You should be able to, I believe they both use the same threading, so should be easy. Just make sure you don't get a guide with ISCG '05 mounts, and make sure you do get a guide with the old ISCG mounts. I really like my new MRP G2 guide, but I've also heard great things about the E-13 LG-1.

3. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Both the E-13 and the MRP G2 will work. Let me know if you need any help I can help you get it set up. With the ISIS set up some chain guides work better than others.

4. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I have ran MRP guides for years and they always worked great. Now I run the E.13 LG-1 and have had no issues with it.
    Quality wise for a single ring set up you cant go wrong with either the MRP G2 or the E.13 LG1.

Only reason I went with the E.13 was it came in white:beer:

5. onlyontwo

onlyontwo Not smart enough to shift

Big kid job
    I have had great luck with my Gamut p20. They are really light and simple. Just my $.02. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Andy

6. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    i cant seem to find any of the external bottom bracket setups with 128mm spindle length. will i mess up my chainline?

can i just take off the granny and install the chainguide?

7. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

crank-wise, I'm all shimano. maybe you shouldn't have sold me those saints? :?:

if you had it set up to work beforehand, you should just be able to take off the granny and install the chainguide.

as far as chainguides go, I've had good luck with my SRS. good customer service from them too (got a free new pulley to quiet it up). go with that if you'll be bashing a lot of things, or go with an LG-1 for more a racier/lighter setup.

from what e-13 says, the SRS will be a bit more burly and stand up to hits better than an LG-1 at the cost of weight.

8. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    damnit. i probably shouldnt have sold the saint. i just didnt think it would work with the spindle length.

9. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    my 08 Demp 8 runs a Gamut P1 guide I believe. So far no problems and it fits perfect.

10. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

If you are patient, you can find a set in the same condition at or below what I paid you.

I don't see why they wouldn't fit. look at all the demos being ridden in the collective movies with saint cranks.

You could always go a bit lighter and pick up some SLX's if you aren't too hard on your stuff.

~100 for SLX at chain reaction
    ~140 for old-style saints
    ~180-190 for new saints

You could probably find someone to split an order with to get free shipping.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

The demo has an offest 135 wheel in the rear. It is offset by 6mm's. You are currently usinf a wider Spindle than you would normally see for a double. I have three suggestions for proper chainline setup on your particular bike.

1. get 83MMBB Raceface cranks, and get the spacer for the Demo setup, more info can be found on the RF site, or by contacting there Support line.

2. Shimano 83MM cranks, Use the RF spacer, Same install as the RF set.

3. Go with Truvativ, get the howitzer Drive system, order the holltzfeller, or hussefelt cranks, and just get the Proper BB. The Demo will use the 68/73 by 56mm chainline. While bikes without an offest will use the 51MM chainlineBB.

Hope I didnt confuse you too much. If yo uneed mroe help I will be in teh shop tommorrow, you can stop by, or give me a call, I do happen top have that BB for the demo in stock as well. <sorry had to drop the plug>

I know Truvativ catches flack for there Howitzer system, so if you wanted to, you can take my bike for a spin tommorrow and see how they feel for yourself, that goes for anyone taht would want to stop in.

12. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    i thought it had a 150 rear wheel.

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Let me double check your year and model, I know they at least used to be that way, with teh Offest, thats why you set them up as though they had a 150 rear. Gimme a few mintues

EDIT.... Checked, Even the 09 still uses a 135 offset wheel.

14. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    i have a demo 9. it is 150 rear spacing.

15. zark

zark New Member

Cartographer
    Question for you. Can 73mm Saint cranks with an SRS guide work on a demo 9? I have a buddy with Kona cromo and a mrp sys2 who wants my old parts.

16. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    May be thread jacking a little but I was wondering what you recommend for a Giant ReignX which would use the bottom bracket mount chainguide.

17. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

saints, SLX, or hones. reign X should have ISCG tabs (my 08 does). at least 2008 and later are ISCG 2005. before that I'm not sure...

18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

They can, the chainline will be off a bit, you will be putting a little more straign on the chain when in your highest gears

Ok, I just went into the archives, Still the info for the spindle length/chainline is the same. That was what Speccy was trying to do with the offset 135. You will still want to set it up the way as I previously listed.

19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Offer still stands to come check my Truvativ's out if you like. Bring your SPD shoes, or your pedals, And I will let you take it down the road to the Local xc/AM run and have a go at it.

20. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I always thought the Demo 9 was 150 rear spacing and 83mm bb width. That's very odd for ANY bike to have a staggered setup.

My 08' Demo 8 used an offset 135mm rear triangle and 73mm bb shell. :-k

Do some research on MTBR quite a few people have Demo 9's on there.