Recipe of the Day

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Pugz, Jan 18, 2008.

1. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    ok you got me looking at my recipes I have saved. Here is a really good one. I think me and the kids will have it for dinner this week.
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon ancho or New Mexico chile powder
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    4 4-ounce wild salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick, skin on
    8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
    Cabbage Slaw (recipe follows)
    Citrus Salsa (recipe follows)
    Cilantro Crema (recipe follows)

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
    2. Combine oil, chile powder, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture liberally over salmon. Grill the salmon, skin-side down, until it is just cooked through, about 8 minutes. Cut each fillet lengthwise into 2 pieces and remove the skin.
    3. To serve, place 2 tortillas on each plate. Evenly divide the fish, Cabbage Slaw, Citrus Salsa and Cilantro Crema among the tortillas.

Slaw
    2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
    1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
    2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Toss cabbage, bell pepper, onion, vinegar and oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper; toss again to combine

Creme
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon minced scallion greens
    1 teaspoon seeded and minced serrano chile
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine sour cream, cilantro, scallion greens, chile, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth.

Salsa
    3 navel oranges
    2 limes
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon seeded and minced serrano chile
    2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste

1. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith from oranges and limes and discard. Cut the orange and lime segments from the surrounding membranes and coarsely chop.
    2. Gently toss the oranges, limes, cilantro, chile, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined.

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I just drooled all over my keyboard...
    :)

3. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    :lol: :lol::lol: I love to cook, and watch the food network religiously. My mom always had us help her cook, so............. Oh and those Tacos are so refreshing.

4. BRpunkRock

BRpunkRock New Member

Aerospace Technician
    3 cups of sifted self rising flower
    1/4 cup of sugar
    dash of salt
    12oz of beer of your choice

Mix all in ingredients and place into a greased loaf pan and into a 350 degree oven for one hour. Place a little bit of melted butter over the top of the batter before baking for a nice crust. Let the baked bread stand for 15 mins before slicing.

5. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I recently listened to In Defense of Food while on a bike ride. Since then I have been paying close attention to the ingredient of the food I buy. I primarily shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, where I try to only buy organic foods. We turns out even organic foods have plenty of non-food items. Organic is great don't get me wrong, just look for organic without all the crap. As such I've been cooking the following two dishes.

Pasta with Pesto and Peppered Smoked Salmon
    - Trader Joe's Organic Pasta Vegetable Radiatore
    (Organic Durum Wheat Semolina, Spinach, Beet, Red Bell Pepper, Paprika)
    - Trader Joe's Pesto
    - Tomatoes on the vine
    - Wild Peppered Smoked Alaskan Salmon

Cook whole bag of pasta
    Quarter tomatoes
    Remove skin from Salmon

Once pasta is cooked drain water and add tomatoes, 3/4 of pesto bottle, shred salmon. Stir and serve. Total time to prepare is about 20 minutes.

Pasta with Ratatouille and Pine Nuts
    - Trader Joe's Organic Pasta Vegetable Radiatore
    (Organic Durum Wheat Semolina, Spinach, Beet, Red Bell Pepper, Paprika)
    - Trader Joe's Ratatouille x2
    (Tomatoes Eggplant, Zucchinis, Bell Peppers, Onions, Canola Oil, Sugar, Tomato Paste, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Garlic, Spices, Herbs, Citric Acid)
    - Tomatoes on the vine
    - Pine Nuts

Cook whole bag of pasta
    Quarter tomatoes

Once pasta is cooked drain water and add tomatoes, both bottle of Ratatouille, and pine nuts. Stir and serve. Total time to prepare is about 20 minutes.

Serve either dishes with a Bogle Petite Shyra, Stonehenge Merlot, or Inheritance Pino Noir (all from Joe's).

6. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I don't know how to make it, but I like it. I like it a lot!!!!

Attached Files:

7. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Saw all the stuff in the fridge for this ( making it for dinner tonight) so I thought I would share the Recipe before I head out today. Choucroute is what its called. Not my recipe, but very, very, very good.

Ingredients:
    ½ cup packed brown sugar
    ½ cup kosher salt
    ½ tablespoon black peppercorns
    8 juniper berries
    2 bay leaves
    1 cinnamon stick
    ¼ teaspoon whole cloves
    6 cups India Pale Ale
    1 pound chicken thighs
    2 heads garlic, split in half

2 pounds fresh sauerkraut
    2 ham hocks or 1 smoked turkey thigh, scored

2 tablespoons olive oil
    ¼ pound bacon, cut into ½-inch thick slices
    1 pound garlic sausage, kielbasa, or knockwurst
    2 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
    1 pound small red new potatoes, halved if large, boiled for 15 minutes

1 small smoked duck, cut into pieces (optional)
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped chives for garnish
    Creole, Whole Grain or Dijon Mustard for serving
    Method:
    For the Brined Chicken:
    Combine the brown sugar, salt, peppercorns, juniper berries, bay leaves, cinnamon, and cloves in a large bowl. Add 2 cups beer and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Place the chicken in the brine and add 1 head of the split garlic. If necessary, weigh down with a heavy dinner plate to completely submerge. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
    For the Sauerkraut:
    Place the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse briefly to remove some of the salt from the brine – don't rinse it too much, or you will lose a lot of the flavor. (Alternately, if sauerkraut is not excessively salty, use as is.) Press to release most of the excess liquid and set aside.
    For the Ham hocks:
    In a saucepan, boil the ham hocks and 4 cups of water for 30 to 40 minutes, or until hocks are tender. Pull meat off the bones and reserve the cooking liquid.
    For the Choucroute:
    In a large non-reactive skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook for 5 minutes, not allowing the bacon to brown. Add the remaining garlic halves to the skillet.
    Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat dry and add to the skillet. Add the sausages and cook until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
    Add 2 cups of the ham hock stock to the skillet. Layer over sausages, the onions, the new potatoes, smoked duck and the ham hock meat. Top with the sauerkraut. Drizzle apple cider vinegar over the sauerkraut and then add the remaining 4 cups beer to the skillet.
    Cover with foil and cook on top of the stove for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the potatoes are very tender and the chicken and sausages are cooked through.
    To Serve the Choucroute:
    Serve immediately, with each person receiving some of each of the sausages, chicken, potatoes and sauerkraut. Garnish with chopped chives.

8. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Perfect for a cold, rainy night ...

No action on this thread in a while now. Thought I'd resurrect with something I made yesterday, courtesy of Epicurious.com:

Zinfandel-Braised Beef Short Ribs
    • 3 tablespoons room-temperature butter, divided
    • 8 3-to 4-inch-long meaty beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
    • Coarse kosher salt
    • 2 1/2 cups chopped red onions
    • 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled parsnips
    • 6 garlic cloves, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1 750-ml bottle Zinfandel
    • 2 cups low-salt beef broth
    • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    Preheat oven to 325°F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large oven-proof pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper. Add to pot in single layer and sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer ribs to large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pot. Add onions; sauté until brown, about 6 minutes. Add parsnips; sauté until beginning to color, about 6 minutes. Mix in garlic, then rosemary. Add wine and broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
    Return ribs and any accumulated juices to pot, arranging in single layer. Bring to simmer; cover and place in oven. Braise until ribs are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
    Using tongs, transfer ribs to clean bowl. Spoon fat from pan juices. Boil juices until just beginning to thicken, about 10 minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl to smooth paste. Whisk into juices in pot; simmer until thickened enough to coat spoon, about 5 minutes longer. Season gravy with coarse salt and pepper. Return ribs to pot; spoon gravy over.

I actually used boneless short ribs from Costco, held back a quarter-bottle of the wine (didn't want it to get too boozy) and also subbed half the red onions with leeks. Came out fall-apart tender and delicious. Served it with some gnocchi sauteed in garlic and fresh thyme and sage, and Brussels sprouts roasted with olive oil and balsamic. Pure comfort food for winter nights.
    :beer: (big glass of zin)

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

Pulled Pork - hard to screw up

8-10lb pork shoulder

RUB:
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Brown on all sides in a big pan of some sort, something you can add liquid to later

Remove after browning, place in slow cooker.

In same pan where left over grilled goodies are from the shoulder, sautee 1 medium onion in 1 cup of chicken broth for 3-5 minutes.

Put onions/broth in slow cooker with meat.

Cook 8-10 hours with lid on

In the last 30min-1hr add BBQ sauce of choice, that's if your friends don't start eating it as is (you know who you are!). Pull pork, remove bones/fat/stringy mess, and devour.

10. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

I can attest to the deliciousness of your pulled pork.

Maybe. I think I was pretty drunk at that point. Can you add beer to it instead of broth to make it ultra delicious? And what about brown sugar instead of regular sugar?

11. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

DB - joo rock!

12. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Actually the two mains are separate recipes & weren't intended to be together. We just cooked them at the same time and served it to ourselves that way.

Here is one of the easiest Thai recipes ever. I didn't invent this one, credit goes to the owner of the Mekong Restaurant in Honolulu where I worked for a while in culinary school. I only tweaked it a little (less salt, more kaffir lime leaves and basil) to suit my tastes.

You can also cook up some rice to go with it if you want.

Evil Jungle Prince

1lb boneless chicken breast
    6 small red chilies
    1 stalk fresh lemon grass
    4 kaffir lime leaves
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1-1/2 cups coconut milk
    1tsp salt (I actually skip the salt since the fish sauce has plenty)
    1-4 Tbs. fish sauce to personal taste
    30 sweet basil leaves
    2 cups chopped cabbage

Thinly cut chicken into 2-inch strips.

Grind together red chili peppers, lemon grass, and kaffir lime leaves in a food processor or pound in a mortar.

Heat oil to medium high and sauté pepper mixture for 3 minutes.

Stir in coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes.

Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked. Reduce heat to medium low.

Stir in fish sauce to taste and add the basil.

Serve on bed of chopped cabbage.

Yield: Approximately 4 servings

13. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Let's get this thread rebooted ...

A recipe I pulled outta my a$$ last night that I was pretty pleased with:

Bacon- and mushroom-stuffed pork tenderloin

1 pork tenderloin, all exterior fat and silver skin trimmed
    4 strips bacon, chopped across into half-inch slices
    8 cremini or white mushrooms, diced
    1 medium shallot, diced
    1 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
    Half large slice of sourdough bread, crust trimmed
    Sea salt and fresh black pepper
    1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
    Worcestershire sauce

1. Fry chopped bacon in nonstick pan over medium heat until crisp. Set aside to drain.
    2. Pour off most of the bacon fat, reserving about half a tablespoon. Saute shallot until translucent, about two minutes. Add mushrooms, rosemary and a few turns of black pepper and continue sauteing until mushrooms are tender. Set mushroom-shallot mixture aside to cool.
    3. Pulse sourdough bread in a small food processor or blender to make fine breadcrumb. Set aside.
    4. Once mushroom-shallot mixture is cool, combine with bacon and breadcrumb.
    5. Using a narrow kitchen knife, create a pocket in the center of the pork tenderloin (I cut the tenderloin into two sections to make it easier to stuff).
    6. Stuff bacon-mushroom-shallot-breadcrumb mixture into tenderloin. Season exterior with pepper, fresh thyme and just a little sea salt.
    7. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in nonstick pan and brown the tenderloin on all sides.
    8. Put tenderloin in a roasting pan and roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Drizzle with worcerstershire and roast for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven.
    9. Let pork rest on a plate for 5-10 minutes before cutting into half-inch slices.
    10. :beer:

14. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Scotch Egg (My wife calls it a cholesterol bomb)

I haven't read through all the posts to see if this has been added yet, so if it has, I apologize.

Shell one hard boiled egg, pack with ground sausage, dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs. Deep fry the crap out of it. Enjoy with some Coleman's mustard or HP sauce. Black and Tan on the side is good as well.

If you're not up to it, try the Blackwatch Pub in Upland.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  15. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

the other day i had some lemons and cilantro that were on their way out, so i threw some stuff together and i was shocked at how good it tasted. heres basically what i did....

boneless skinless chicken brest, marinated in lemon, cilantro, green onion for an hour
    seared on my iron skillet for 3 minutes each side then into the oven at 375 for another 8 minutes.
    chopped up the chicken taco status
    french bread roll spread with lime mayo(avail in the mexican section) heated up on the stove.
    added beans, rice and salsa like a french bread torta and it was delicious.

16. rob240z

rob240z Glub Glub Glub

Soon to be unemployed Florida Keys bum
    I didn't see a chicken adobo recipe, so here's mine (my mom's actually).

Fill stock pot half way with water. Add the following ingredients:
    Soy sauce and vinegar "to taste". Should be salty and tangy (yeah! lol). I like a lot of soy sauce and vinegar, but that's just me.
    Handful of whole black pepper corns. I grind some pepper too, again do whatever you like.
    1 or 2 chopped garlic cloves.
    1 bay leaf
    1 chopped yellow onion.

Bring to a boil and add chicken. Preferrably bone-in legs, thigh and wings. Breasts don't have the fat content to make the broth greasy, and greasy broth is tasty stuff.

Let simmer on low/medium for an hour or until chicken falls from the bone. Serve with some sticky calrose rice. Masarap.

You can make it healthier by using boneless/skinless chicken breasts and low sodium soy sauce, but it just isn't the same.

17. Plank

Plank New Member

Penny's Pasta

Cook up a lb of your favorite pasta! I like linguini for this. Set aside.
    Cook up some garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil for a few minutes.
    In a big bowl! Add a lb of chopped tomatoes. the olive oil and garlic. A handful of fresh basil. Bunch of kalamata olives, greek olives work too. Crumble up a big hunk of feta cheese. Add the pasta, and mix it all up. Pour on some of the olive juice.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese and bread. Or soft breadsticks.

I usually do a double batch for the next day. It's great cold.