Recipe of the Day

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Pugz, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    This is a good basic lentil soup recipe. I like to start with this and then make some additions like andouille sausage or roasted vegetables.

2 russet (baking) potatoes
    2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 pound French green lentils, picked over and rinsed (about 2 cups)
    8 cups low-salt chicken broth

1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
    2. In a large heavy kettle cook potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, and onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
    3. Add lentils, broth, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soup is thickened

2. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    killer baked mac n cheese, courtesy Alton Brown

-did this last night- insane good.

1/2 pound elbow macaroni (other pasta can be used as well- we used bow-ties)
    3 tablespoons butter (more like 4)
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon powdered mustard
    3 cups milk
    1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 large egg
    12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Fresh black pepper

Topping:
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. (you're making a roux here, folks- dont rush it that's medium to low heat and DO NOT stop Stirring!!!)

Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg (ask me if you don't know- you dont want scrambled eggs). Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.

Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

3. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    cooking terminology time.

it seems that this is now needed:

roux (pronounced "roo"): equal parts flour and fat. it's used to thicken soups, the key to gravy, and used in some sauces. the fat can be vegetable oil, butter, drippings from your roast (one of the best).

keep in mind that a roux can be from blond to brick brown. the brick brown ones taste smokier but don't thicken as well. also, don't ever stop stirring a roux- burned flower = bad. also, a roux thickens best when you add it to a cool liquid and slowly bring to a boil.

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux

tempering. this is done to eggs. it's basically a way of introducing raw eggs to a hot mixture without causing a scramble. how is this done? well, you take a small amount of the hot liquid and add it to the bowl of eggs (these have been whisked together, a la scramble) and mix it together until it's a cohesive mix. a little more "hot" to the eggs until the temperature gets up, then dump the tempered egg mixture into the main hot dish.

other terms of note:

trinity: equal parts diced green bell peppers, onions and celery. common in Cajun cooking.

mirepoix: (meer-a-pwas): one part diced carrot, one part diced celery, 2 parts diced onion (thanks Pugz). key in many soups, French cuisine. my favorite use? cheese soup.

side note- some recipes can call for equal of the three veggies. NOT traditional

mother sauces:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mother_sauces

learn these and you're able to make just about anything. bechamel? think lasagna

ultimate resource: http://www.foodnetwork.com/
    fun food related stuff: http://www.altonbrown.com/

got cooking questions? kitchen tool questions? ask!

4. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Mirepoix in the traditional French sense is 2 parts onion to 1 part carrot and 1 part celery.

5. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    right- fixed....with a side note.

6. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    Culinary school finally paid off for something.

7. Vickie

Vickie Ride to ride again

Business Process Analyst - Aerospace
    Tomato, Basil and Olive Pasta Sauce

Since race day is coming - we need carb's.....

1 tsp Olive Oil
    2 Shallots, finely chopped
    1 - 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
    1 (14 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
    1 (8 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
    2/3 Cup Dry Vermouth or Dry White Wine ;-)
    2 TBSP Tomato Ketchup
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 oz pitted ripe olives, halved
    3 TBSP Chopped Fresh Basil
    Basil sprigs, to garnish

In a sauce pan, heat oil and cook the shallots and garlic 5 minutes

Add tomatoes, vermouth or wine, tomato ketchup, salt and peper and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and boil another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.

Add olives and basil and mix will. Garnish with basil sprigs, and serve with pasta of your choice. I use "bowtie" pasta cuz its "cute" and it holds the sauce well.

Enjoy

8. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    note to self: Pugz is now my 1st go-to on cooking related questions. :bang:

9. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Wow SUCH a good recipe! Some observations from someone who DOES NOT COOK (my idea of cooking is putting the Lean Cusine into the microwaving and pressing start):

It was super easy to make! I tried various mashing techniques (with a fork, with an electric stirer thingy, etc) and finally I put everything in the food processer and that worked great (and nice and easy).

I put two entire heads of garlic because I LOOOOVE garlic! But now I'm paying for it since I ate about half (i.e. an entire head of garlic in one sitting)... I'm not feeling so well but I will def make this again (just with less garlic for the sake of my stomach, although it was great with 2!)

325g of the garlic mashed cauliflower (nearly half of what I made) was only 183 calories!

THANKS ODB :clap:

Attached Files:

10. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Pugz I made you're Thai cous cous, um very good.I added a little yellow curry.Did you try them game hens?

11. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    I haven't been able to make the game hen, my wife is pregnant so our meals have to be approved by her and she hasn't been in the mood for them. I promise though that I have every intention of making them, the birds are in the freezer waiting.

The curry powder is a great addition, I'm glad you liked it. I really love the citrus in the dish.

12. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Did a pretty classic boneless leg of lamb last night. Super simple and super tasty!

FYI, I use a Weber Performer Charcoal grill for 90% of my outdoor cooking, easy to set up indirect if needed and has the bitchin propane starter...

Boneless Leg of Lamb w/ Rosemary and Garlic

Prep - Picked some fresh rosemary from the garden, did a rough chop on it and set aside (probably around 4 tbsp). Sliced up some elephant garlic about 1/4 thick crossways and set it aside.

Cut slits around in the leg of lamb, then shoved the garlic slices inside. You could do the same with whole cloves of regular garlic, but I like the milder flavor of elephant garlic. Then I salted and peppered both sides of the roast and put the rosemary all over it. Covered it lightly in extra virgin olive oil, rubbed it all in and let it marinate for a few hours.

Cooking - Set up the grill for indirect heat and get it as hot as you can. Smoke with whatever you prefer, I used apple wood chunks soaked in water. Cook at 400+ degrees (indirect heat) until internal temperature is 140 degrees f. Remove from heat, rest for 10 minutes, then slice it up and serve.

I served it with a side of mini-potatoes (yukon golds), pan roasted next to the lamb on the grill with some garlic slices, chopped onion, olive oil and salt and pepper.

13. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Perfect timing, I have A leg thawing as I type this. No fresh rosemarry however.

14. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

You can use dried rosemary if you've got it. If it's powder, use less, since it'll be more potent.

15. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

My favorite veggie pizza

Can't remember what restaurant i first had this in, but i've been reproducing this at home for years.

Pizza dough (make your own or pick up the readymade stuff at Trader Joe's)
    Marinara
    Shredded mozzarella
    Red bell pepper, sliced in strips
    Caramelized brown onions
    Bulb of roasted garlic
    Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
    Soft goat cheese, like chevre
    Fresh basil

1. Heat a pizza stone in the oven at 550 degrees for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 450
    2. Roll out pizza dough till thin; dust a pizza paddle with cornmeal and place dough on top
    3. Top with thin layer of marinara, followed by mozzarella, then crumble goat cheese over that; top with roasted garlic cloves, onions, bell pepper and olives
    4. Cook in oven till bubbling, about 10 minutes
    5. Chiffonade the fresh basil (roll up a stack of leaves and slice diagonally into strips) and put on top just before serving
    6. Mangia! :beer:

16. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    So this is my first year cooking Easter diner, usually I have to work at a restaurant. I am doing something with sweet potatoes but not sure what yet so I was wondering if anybody has some great sweet potato dishes.

17. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Morton's crab cakes

I'm not a huge fan of Morton's (overpriced; uninteresting dining concept), but one thing they do right is crab cakes -- the best i've had anywhere. I'm making them tonight for mom's 70th birthday (to go along with some steaks), so i figured i'd post up the recipe. My brother-in-law used to work at one of the restaurants, and he says they use the lump crab meat you can get at Costco (Phillips is the brand, I believe; comes in a can or plastic tub). Anyway, here you go:

Morton's Crab Cakes

For the bread crumbs:

1 T. garlic, finely chopped

1 t. shallots, finely chopped

1 t. fresh parsley, finely chopped

1 c. fresh white bread crumbs

1/8 t. salt

1/8 t. ground white pepper

For the mustard mayonnaise:

1/2 c. mayonnaise

4 t. Grey Poupon Dijon mustard

1/4 t. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 t. horseradish, prepared

For the crabcakes:

1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat, drained of all excess liquid

1 c. prepared bread crumbs (see above)

1 T fresh parsley, finely chopped

2 T prepared mustard mayonnaise (see above)

1 t. Grey Poupon Dijon mustard

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce

1/4 t. Tabasco sauce

To make the bread crumbs: In a mixing bowl, stir the garlic, shallots and parsley into the bread crumbs, being careful not to leave any clumps of garlic or shallots. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.

To make the mustard mayonnaise: In a mixing bowl, combine mustard, mayonnaise, Worcestershire and horseradish. Refrigerate.

In a stainless steel bowl, toss the crabmeat with the prepared crumbs. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 T. mustard mayonnaise with the parsley, mustard, eggs, Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce. Pour over crabmeat mixture and mix gently to combine. Divide into 6 portions. Form into balls. Flatten slightly to 1-inch thickness - do not make perfectly flat.

Place crab cakes on a buttered, nonstick cookie sheet. Place in a preheated 450-degree oven. Bake 5 minutes on one side. Turn with a metal spatula and cook another 4 minutes. Divide among 6 plates, and garnish each serving with 1 T. mustard mayonnaise and a lemon wedge. Makes 6 servings.

18. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Have not seen posts here for awhile. So here is a beef Marinade.Serve it with a salad that has cucumber and Tomato to kill the spice.Also a nice fruity wine goes well.
    You will need 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk, place this in a blender, along with 1/2 a stalk of lemongrass, a pinch of shredded (unwaxed) lemon peel, 2 tablespoons each of fish or soy sauce and red curry paste, 3 tablespoons of lime juice and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
    Blend the ingredients together until smooth and the Thai marinade is now ready to use.

19. Pugz

Purchasing Manager
    sounds really good Danny. that would be great in the cous-cous that I posted way back when.

20. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Low-cal Barbeque Chicken Pizza

I've been CRAVING pizza since January but I just can not bring myself to eat JUST ONE slice! So I was experimenting a little and ended up making my own personal-sized pizza that was less then 300 calories and totally filling (30g of protein). There's many variations you can do with toppings, especially with veggies and adding garlic instead of barbeque sauce but here is how I make my Barbeque Chicken version (with a prep time of less than 5 min! and cooking time of 12 min):

1 pita Sarah Lee Whole Wheat Pita Bread
    1/4 cup Pizza Sauce
    2 Tbsp Kraft Lite Barbeque Sauce
    30g Roasted Chicken Breast
    3 tbspn (30g) Onions
    1/2 cup (2 servings) Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese

1) Place the pita bread on a plate then layer your toppings as you wish.
    This is how I do it:
    -Spread/Mix Pizza Sauce and BBQ Sauce
    -Evenly spread out Chicken
    -Gob on the Onions =P~
    -Sprinkle on the Cheese
    2) Place in toaster oven (or oven) for 12 minutes. My toaster oven has a setting for pizza so I just press that and let it cook until the cheese is "melted" (Just note that if you use 2% or esp Fat Free Cheese its kind of funky when it comes to melting... kinda melts like plastic, LOL, just remove before or right when it starts to brown)
    3) Enjoy!!!

It would probably taste even better with regular or low fat cheese, subsitute ingredients to your fancy. I find it super satisfying and if I am really hungry I'll add a small salad on the side.

Edit: Oops, 30g of onions is 3 tbspn, not 2. The nutrition data is correct though for 30g.

Attached Files: