Rear Derailleur Pulley

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Trizz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. LlammaPudge

LlammaPudge Banned

That sure doesn't sound like, I'm sorry, why don't you bring it in and let me take care of you. I think you like to argue. You are on the defense and as you type your elevating your persona to what it really is...seeming kinda mean to me, not the way I would represent myself if my shop just took advantage of someone unsuspecting. Don't take that personally though, this is after all only the internet, and not a good group of people who could frequent your shop on a regular basis. I think there's only a couple thousand riders here within a 60 mile range of your shop. You know what they say, great service, only a couple af people hear about it, poor service...may as well be thousands. I know thats not the say, but you understand. I don't think theres a single person thats read this thread thats going to frequent your shop now, but I can't speak for everyone, so maybe you'll get lucky and fool a couple more.
    Please, have a nice day:)

2. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

On the defense is so far the only way I can possibly respond to some of the comments about the store. I have resolved many problems through the shop on this forum and most folks give us a chance. This thread was just straight up bashing and I feel no reason to pander to that type of foolishness. If anybody wants to learn something from my post.please............if you feel you are being "ripped off" as it was put. Please ask for a mangager. I am not mean, but reading some of this stuff is just rediculous. I care about every client and their happiness with the shop. I'd just rather not learn about online and being accused of ripping somebody off.
    Your criticism of my post is valid and taken under consideration.

3. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thanks for answering my question about "circumstances".

4. brownlandshark

Sorry, didn't see that post. I would have to see the pulley, the bike and the derailleur to answer. I could guess better if I knew the brand of derailleur.
    Here's my best guesses though.
    Chipped tooth on a pulley (lower cost derailleurs use cheaper brittle pulleys)
    Gummed up bushings on it from off road riding in sandy conditions without ever lubing it
    Riding crosschained often causing the chain to make an extreme angle where it contacts the pulley which will wear the pulley very fast causing it to break
    It may have been impacted by something, most likely a very odd shaped hard object (very rare but it happens)
    A new pulley seemed to have fixed the problem so I can only assume it was bad. I can not warranty a pulley. I would have been glad to have resolved this situation on the spot had I known about though.....Still would if given a shot.
    Ive seen every imaginable type of failure in my years as a mechanic and a rider. Nothing is impervious to failure even if new.

5. El Prieto

El Prieto New is the beggining

$25 dlls for a pulley
    $10 dlls for labor (at a discount; normally $18)
    $105 dlls per circumstantial year
    not letting the customer know why the pulley is wearing out = _______ (fill in the blank)

6. station

station Is this thing on?

Sports Chalet? ;)

7. brownlandshark

Tough to say what happened. I suspect it was broken or chipped not worn. But I never saw it. Off road is tough on parts........................I've been riding your namesake "el prieto" for years. great trail.great name! Used to work at Montrose bike many years ago and rode it all the time. Broken a part or two on it and couldn't tell you how.zigged when I should have zagged, crappy part, stuff like that.

8. TooManyTacos

TooManyTacos Or Not Enough

Hello Brent,
    Before I say anything else, I should say that I'm not anti-Jax. In fact, I purchased a pretty nice bike from the Jax store in Fullerton and really enjoyed the experience and have stated as much in this forum and in others. So "angry customer" isn't the place I'm coming from.

The thing is, though, a lot of people here and in other places have had what they feel to be unpleasant experiences at Jax stores. I mean, we all have our days, but these seem like more than just occasional occurrences.

It's good that you make yourself accountable to disappointed customers after the fact, and I appreciate that they could have spoken with you when it was happening, but shouldn't you be doing something on the front end too? In my opinion, the common thread in these stories is that people weren't treated right up front. Then they left and thought about it a little more and realised it. I've been in those types of situations, so I think I understand how it feels.

Again, it's all well and good to tell these people that they should have told someone higher up about their problems (and I believe that you're sincere in wanting to make things right), but the point is that they shouldn't have been subjected to this BS in the first place. Customers put their trust in your staff and your repair department, and that goodwill is lost the moment they feel as if they're being bamboozled. So it seems that it's in your best interest to handle these things before they escalate into complaints and negative feelings about your shop.

Just my two cents. Like I said, I had no problems buying my Ferrous 29 from the Fullerton store and am enjoying the bike quite a bit.

9. brownlandshark

That ferrous is a nice bike...did you get a blue one?
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. Something should be done before the B.S. starts. I guess what I was trying to say in this instance is that it would appear while the client was in the store that there was no BS. We went by the book and the client seemed to agree.
    I do believe that the client got upset after they left the store and then got even more upset as the pot was stewed here. That is what is hard for me. I unfortunatley do not work in the service department and don't always have a hand in these issues until I read about em here. Our staff is honest and generally willing to help out in any way possible.
    I would extend an offer to all sctr members to ask for me when you come in. I will make sure you get great service, with no BS. I do not work sundays or mondays and I work from 11 am to 7 pm. Usually lunch around two. Pat is the store's general manager and is excellent as well. I long for the day when I can make everybody happy. I can't control the store's pricing, but i can give years of experience and an honest opinion and a desire to do the right thing and make some new friends.:drunk: