"Raindrops Keep Fallin' on the Luge,"

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I was supposed to be heading over to RSM to run some errands this afternoon, but when I got to the top of Live Oak I thought, "I wonder how the Luge is doing with all this rain?"

So I found a place to park and started up the water tank road where the trail exits the Forest. The first little water crossing needed a bit of clearing, so I pulled up my sleeve and dug out some twigs and mud. Then I slipped and slid my way over the ridge to the main crossing.

The 'wash' was flowing at a mellow rate and everything looked good, but I just couldn't bring myself to turn around. I headed up through the S-turns, and past the big ravine. The rain had been falling all day, but the trail was holding up well.

Long story short, I kept climbing and started cleaning out drainage cuts with the heels of my shoes. I got farther and dug my Macleod out of the bushes, and began working the cuts a little harder. By the time I got to the flag, my shoes, jeans, shirt, jacket and windbreaker were completely soaked and the wind was holding up the flag like a windshield decal.

I cut a berm across the top of the hill to try to keep runoff from wrecking the drops. (No telling if it'll work, but why not.. )

By this time, the sky was darkening and the rain was coming in like waves. I started down, reworking some spots and stopping to look at temporary waterfalls. The plant colors were vibrant, and the clouds and water and wind were incredible. I wish more people could see it like this, but of course your bikes would be a muddy mess.

I saw a forecast for sun tomorrow, so it might all be rideable by late afternoon. Certainly should be good by late Wednesday.

There are areas where minor rockfall settled on the trail, and I'd recommend caution in those spots. The hillsides are still soaking up a lot of water, and large mudslides are possible. Might not be a good idea to hang out under steep muddy slopes..

I didn't get on the STT, so I can't speak to that. Its usually muddy around the big switchback, but gets better after that.

My girlfriend busted me when I got home. "How'd those errands go? she asked. "Was it raining in the bank?"

"Well, I stopped by the Luge to make sure it was OK.."

She just shook her head and said something about 12 step programs for trail builders.

2. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Thanks for the trail info - I was thinking about riding it tonight. Also, thanks again for your continued work on the trail.

C

3. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I was hoping someone would report, just somehow knew it would be you ;)

Huge THANKS!!! for all you do.

(Can we do something special for you GF so she allows you to keep it up :?:)

4. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    i could... i'm doing my crafts & what woman doesn't like smelly bath stuff??? kioti, can i drop off a gift bag of homemades for her as a 'thank you' for allowing you to continue to take care our our dirt?? serious offer.

will be hosting the holiday food drive ride starting from cook's tomorrow night at 1800. so will be in the area...

5. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

While you are at it... can you smooth out the bumps a bit?
    This trail is a bitch on a rigid
    :lol:

6. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Yep - we're serious! Was checking to see if the food drive/ride was still going to happen - and we'd love to show her how much we appreciate YOU and it's through her willingness to support you.

7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    kioti, you are the lord of the luge--thanks for your continued help. i can't believe you have a macleod stashed up there!

8. stevo carrillo

stevo carrillo New Member

Production mgr. Textile printing.
    Now there's a thought! Twelve step program for an MTB obsession....My wife would surely admit me ! I think that's are new out, weekly meetings for curing are disease on a scheduled ride......It's gotta help, RIGHT.

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks, Tink Bell. Actually, my girlfriend thinks 'I' could benefit from some "smelly bath stuff." Just kidding :) She thinks its a great idea.

Oh, and hoovermd? I've been known to ride my cross bike down it, so I know about the bumps. And I sculpted some of those yesterday, too. But where would the glory be if everything was smooth as a dance floor?

By the way, anybody ride it today? I'd like to know how it went.. Generally, I think riding the Luge after a rain helps smooth out those nasty bumps, and sets it up for fast winter descents.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I got you both covered... I work in the professional beauty industry and distribute salon brands for both men and women,,, Pm me an address and I will get you both cleaned up... I love riding the Luge...

Jeff

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

Hmm, gives a whole new meaning to trail grooming..

Got anything for black and blue toenails, scarred and bloody shins, scratched up arms and face, and mysterious outbreaks of poison oak? Not that I'm complaining.

I was also going to mention cracked and missing front teeth-- but that was from my road biking days, when I tried doing some road work with my face. Clay masks are so much nicer than asphalt peels, don't you think?

12. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Jim, I'd love to help with any maintenance STT or the luge needs again this year. I have finals next week, but after that, I got plenty of free time for a month.

13. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Sooo Thinking this is still on?

EDIT:
    Ohh and Duh...Thanks Kioti!

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

I'll try to put something on the calendar for later this month. There's a project I've been wanting to do on the STT, and I could use some help.

15. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Just let me know and I'll be there. My last final is on the 17th.

16. kioti

kioti Active Member

Pedalboy (Treve) and I took advantage of the damp soil and did a little trail work at the bottom of the Luge, just before the stream crossing. I'd been wanting to bank and berm these turns for a long time, but didn't have the right conditions. Today turned out to be the day.

We heard some kind of commotion in the trees while we were getting set-up, and couldn't help but check it out. "BigT" was in the middle of a large fallen tree that was blocking the trail, going all 'Bruce Lee' on the branches. We offered to help, and got it cleared all cleared out. Thanks, BigT.

Around 30(?) riders came through while we fixed the two turns. Everyone said the STT and Luge were in good shape, and there was minimal mud on bikes and feet. The berms might take a little time to firm up, but they should be more fun now.

Here's a couple 'after' shots. Don't know the rider in the 2nd shot, but thanks for being there.

Attached Files:

17. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Thanks for cutting the trough at the flag, and all the other work to the Luge. Rode it at night after you were there and it was a blast.

Kioti - please keep us informed if a date is set for the STT work. I'd like to participate as well.

18. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Thanks so much, hoping to do some night riding and good to know the trail is good to go.

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

I heard there were minor rockslides in a few spots, but everything was rideable, and there wasn't much mud. A cyclocross rider came through and had no complaints, if that tells you anything.

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

Got out for a couple hours this afternoon and re-aligned a turn thats been bugging me. I hope its better now, but its hard to tell without riding it.. Also, banked a previously flat turn so it'd be easier to carry speed around the corner.

Both of these turns should flow better now. The berms will take awhile to firm up, so go easy, and the corners may seem a bit sterile, but they'll wear in over time. Once the lines are dialed in and the banking is right, I let it revert.

As pedalboy says, "Can't understand why they call it trail 'work.' Its just too much fun."

Here are a before and after of one of the turns. Not a big change, but hopefully a good one. Should be able to dive through now.

Attached Files: