Rage Against The Machine To Play Anti-SB 1070 Show At The Palladium

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MacGuyVer, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    first of all, it's "break" (sorry, it's the teacher in me). second, do a little research into the history of immigration in this country and you'll see that the government (including reagan) has encouraged illegal immigration for at least 40 years and manipulated it in...questionable ways for at least 100. third, i'm sure you're all for securing our canadian border, too (for another $ trillion). fourth, our current situation is just economic slavery for 11 million people, which is kind of pathetic for the supposed "greatest country on earth". and finally...oh, forget it...this thread is about music. pm me if you ever want to sit down and talk about it over a beer--while listening to ratm.

:ipa:

2. mxvet

mxvet New Member

I wish I had more time to argue with ignorant people...

3. bloose

bloose New Member

If Arizona accepts that a drivers license is proof of citizenship then the law is total bs. You can easily get fake drivers licenses so again like I said it will be up to the officers to determine if they believe the documents are fraudulent or not.

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    So you're afraid to assert your rights to go anywhere in this country? Get over your silly fears. You've put yourself into a psychological prison. If confronted I'd say I'm an American and proud of it. People have fought and died for your rights and you're afraid of being "hassled".

5. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    hassled = redneck, racist cops (potentially) + tasers + jail

comprende? but then you've probably never been pulled over for DWB. i've only met george once, but he didn't exactly seem imprisoned by his silly fears. that's more dino's style.

and: "...don't tug on superman's cape..."

6. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Even if I had the time to do so, I would not waste it thus.

One look at RATM lyrics is enough to illustrate ignorance on parade #-o. I have been a music collector for a few decades, and listen to hundreds of groups with whom I do not share ideological views. All of these groups display varying degrees of intelligence, originality, and humor.... things which RATM sadly lack (this is why i can dismiss them with such ease).

For examples of great "Polit Rock", Google the German group Floh De Cologne (try 'Geyer Symphonie' 'Lucky Streik' or 'Rockoper Profitgeier') or groups in the RIO (Rock In Opposition) movement.

7. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

The funniest thing about this whole arizona thing is Los Angeles' partial boycott of arizona.....Los Angeles has their own problems to deal with why dont they mind their own business?

8. bloose

bloose New Member

Originality? They created a genre that died the second they left the music scene. Zacks ryhmes compete with some of the best MCs from the hip hop world. And Morellos guitar skills have been untouched for a decade.. Morello has been awarded guitarist of the year many times. They are actually so good and original people who dont agree with their message cant help but listen to their records.

9. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The best way to fight prejudice is to demonstrate the assumptions behind it are false. If Latinos, citizens or legal immigrants, stay out of Arizona it increases the chances of police encountering only illegals and reinforces the prejudice. What could fight the prejudice more than spending day-after-day encountering Latinos fluent in English who wish you could "have a nice day"?

10. motox155

motox155 Member

I've always liked RATM music and probably always will...but hated their political views. Same could be said for most any celebrity or rock band group. They are usually quick to jump on any liberal viewpoint bandwagon. I'm usually 180 degrees opposite of their views. I work hard for my money...I'd prefer to be able to hang on to a little of it. Seems most of the outspoken, liberal viewpoints come from celebrities that have much more money then sense. I'd imagine it's easy to stand up and pick sides when you know what ever happens it will not effect you financially enough to feel it or cause a hardship.

11. El Gringo

El Gringo ______________

Like most of us, Zack's comprised of paradoxes, ultimately resortig to a cliche binary position for resolution and self-expression. It's how the ruling class manipulates us all. Think about it:

1. Zack's an outspoken supporter of the Zapatista movement in MX;
    2. The Zapatista movement's primary platform is anti-NAFTA;
    3. Of course, NAFTA was on of many areas upon which the Bush/Clinton dynasties agreed - and when they agree, you KNOW we're going to get screwed;
    4. Where do you think Bush/Clinton and other NAFTA supporters fall on 1070?
    5. And what do you think Caesar Chavez' position on illegal immigration was?

Think about it. 1070 threatens to end labor exploitation that has disrupted the economies on BOTH sides of the border. Again, the race card's been pulled to hide the underlying, more complex (and profitable) issue. IMO, 1070 represents a statement that AZ will no longer bear the cost - social and economic - of socializing profits.

That's one opinion -and that's all it is.

12. Silver

Silver New Member

Ok, this was a spoof, right?

Right?

13. proraptor

IDK man when I think of original I think of NIN or Nirvana.....

14. bloose

bloose New Member

I agree that NIN and Nirvana are original. But Cobain wasnt much of a guitarist he was more of a song writer much like Dylan. I would characterize Nirvana as poorly made rock music which is popular today because of Cobains writing not because of the music itself. Also I would say NIN did much of what Rage did combine diffrent genres and sounds to make something more interesting. Reznor started combining elements from electronica with rock and made a new metalic industrial sound. If you dont think Morello is original you havent watched him play guitar before...

15. proraptor

I was talking about the band in general not morello by himself....Hes good but I think he is overrated....There are some guys that play some insane guitar in the black/death metal bands

16. bloose

bloose New Member

We were talking originality not skill alone. There are many guitarists who play extremely well in the metal scene but they arent playing anything that hasnt allready been played before they are just changing the speed and arrangment. If we are just talking about favorite guitarists Morello wouldnt be on my list I just like what he brings to the table in Rage. His solo projects havent really impressed me too much.

17. proraptor

Hes good but if we want to talk originality Im going with primus.....they are amazing

18. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

So when a police officer runs a fake ID in the computer, it show up as being legit? I didn't know that :-k

19. bloose

bloose New Member

Most people use an ID and SS# that exists like a family member who is a citizen and only change the photo. This way when it gets run through the system it is legit. Also some states dont require proof of citizenship when acquiring an ID so if you are from out of state it opens you up to being hassled. It will end up citizens will be in jail while officers determine their status..

20. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I would just like to add that the Dave Matthews band has always sucked.

Thank you and good night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.