Rage Against The Machine To Play Anti-SB 1070 Show At The Palladium

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MacGuyVer, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer Member.. You Member

2. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I'd love to rage... but I ain't got no money. No Job = No money = Plenty of Rage.

3. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Live Nation should make a tidy profit from the benefit. Good for RATM for putting up a fight. I'd go but don't care enough about either band to pay 50 bones and I'm sure it'll sell out anyway.
    Plus, I don't understand how fund raising works after you've paid off a big venue, promoters, workers, etc. What's that? $10 of my $50 after all is said and done?

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Just another way to exploit immigrant$.

5. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    What to do, what to do. Rage is one of my favorite bands. I have seen them numerous times. They put on a great show. I am thrilled they are back together. However, I love AZ SB 1070 too. Maybe I'll check out the concert scene in AZ. Then I can see a show and support their economy.

6. bloose

bloose New Member

Yeah, Rage is so sick love to see them doing something.

7. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    I would kill to see Rage (last saw them at Lalapalooza '96) but I can't support an anti-SB 1070 fundraiser. I have to show my I.D. every day (I'm white, Caucasian, none of the above). Why shouldn't everybody be able to provide proof of citizenship, regardless of color?

In a country that was "attacked" 9 years ago, you would think we would have some of the tightest boarder / immigration policy in the world. It boggles my mind that anybody would have the audacity to question a policy that is intended to secure our borders and protect our jobs during this time period of political, religious and economic upheaval.

Frankly, it surprises me that Rage is protesting SB 1070. I thought they were too intelligent to make decisions based on ethnicity. It seems that De La Rocha is just blindly following along with his fellow Latinos instead of seeing the big picture. It's not about white / Latino. It's about national security and economic stability. America needs to tighten it's belt and that means making sure that everyone here, is here legally. SB 1070 should be a national policy, not limited to AZ. Illegal is Illegal. There is no debate.

8. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure "our jobs," are safe unless you're job is to pick strawberries or clean toilets. And illegal cannot be illegal because human beings are NOT illegal.
    And how can it surprise any intelligent person that a rock band that has dedicated it's self to radical politics should take up this cause? How can anyone who disagrees with the bands politics be a fan of the band?
    I grew up with punk music so I just don't understand that part. It's like being a non-racist screwdriver fan.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

dumb cannot be dumb because human beings are NOT dumb.

Insert your choice of adjective here -
    Huh?

10. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Rage is an awesome band and all politics aside I'd love to see them at the palladium.

11. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I like plenty of bands/music where my political views are not in line with theirs. I question the intelligence of anyone taking political advice from a band.

12. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Arggghhh!!! #-owth live nation, this is definitely discriminatory to all the brothers and sisters in the IE.

"Hollywood Palladium is located in Los Angeles, CA. Sales to this event will be restricted to residents of Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside Los Angeles and Orange Counties will be canceled without notice and refunds given
    IMPORTANT:
    "

13. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i question the intelligence of anyone that questions the intelligence of anyone.

dang, i think i just painted myself into a corner.

:rage on:

14. bloose

bloose New Member

You guys are listening to the wrong band. I can see how you could listen to a band like blink 182 and not agree with their political views because they are singing about girl problems. But listening to Rage is like listening to someone scream and talk crap about you. Their songs are about injustice and inequality over the coarse of history speaking out against almost all conservative views. If it is suprising to you Zack is against this law you dont understand this band or their message. Zack quit the band before because people werent getting the message i guess things havent changed much.

15. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Oh, I get the message. I've been listening to Rage since '92 and have 90% of the lyrics memorized on every CD they've put out. I think they are solid. But then again, I was just an upper middle class white kid who liked to question "they system". De La Rocha definitely made me aware of/interested in global politics. Illegal immigration in the United States is not even an issue open for debate in my mind though. There is a process to becoming an American. Skipping the immigration process is disrespectful to those who go through the effort to become legitimate US citizens. It is also detrimental to our ability to monitor our citizens which has numerous financial and safety implications. I just don't understand protesting the request to provide identification. Try that in most other countries and you'll either be locked up or killed. Being a US citizen is a privilege not a right. It's about time we start enforcing our laws...

I'm protesting RATM.

More punk than you...

16. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    Partisan BS aside, Illegal Immigration spits in the face of millions trying to legitimately get into this country. I do not agree with RATM's cause, therefore I will not attend. However, I will say that in the past De la Rocha has sang about issues that NEEDED to be criticized and brought to light. Rage makes some great music.

With that said, I'd like to point out that stupidity is definitely bipartisan.

17. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

If you think about it... The state of AZ is raging against the machine, which is the federal government, who in turn is trying to get AZ to reverse its position on illegal immigration. So the band "Rage against the machine" is actually raging with the machine in support of the federal governments stance against arizona's immigration law.

18. nino~de~la~tierra

nino~de~la~tierra New Member

It really saddens me to hear that so many here are for the AZ SB1070 law. Coming from a family with the history of "immigration", I know first hand how bad these issues affect those who suffer at the hands of self interested politicians. I see fear channeled in such a negative way here. The key points are Safety, Economy, Legality, and ect... But to be honest all those points have been blown up in the media to portray a people of hard working roots to look subordinated. We want to talk about safety? what safety? against who? I know no one here said Mexicans are dangerous, but we are treating this law as if being brown is a crime. People want to talk about our Economy, well to be frank its in the convenience of the states to have immigration, does anybody remember the "melting pot". When things seem fine and danndy we could sure use workers from far and wide to help build up our economy, but when the work is done, we give you the boot! Legality, what can I say? its true, no one of indigenous decent is illegal to this land. This is native soil, and we are the Mexica, Maya, Inca, Pipil, and so on. We belong to the earth, and if anyone has a right to be here it is us, the people of the sun. It is our birthright, and many indigenous treaties have been broken, which according to our constitution voids the laws. Music is a direct response to our surrounding events, and if you are into RATM, but dont agree with their views, then you fallow to the beat of a different drum. They say go back! We say fight back! Siempre sere un nino de la tierra! Mexica Tiahui

19. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    There are several reasons why we have laws preventing illegal immigration: national security, protecting our economy, preventing misallocation of tax revenue just to name a few. Now you say "Illegal immigrants work hard and don't threaten our nation at all. You guys treat being brown as a crime" Um. No. I'm half mexican. Yeah, as much Mexican as Obama is black. I don't care whether you're white, black, brown, blue, orange, or purple, if you break the law you face the consequences. Just because you think something is right doesn't make it legal. But that makes no sense, right? I mean surely Illegal Immigrants don't want to threaten national security, right? Well, my home has never been broken into, but I have an alarm and use it anyway. Since I've never been robbed, should I just stop using it?

We should just have an open border, right? Just let anyone who wants to come, join in and have a great time at the "Party in the USA"?

Nevermind that there's already overcrowding in inner cities around the nation.
    Nevermind that the traffic is God awful there.
    Nevermind that there's a huge number of the population illegitimately sucking off the American Welfare teat.
    Nevermind that our schools already can't handle the # of kids we send there.
    Nevermind that the illegal drug smuggling done by, *GASP* Illegals, is threatening our police and border patrol over there.
    Nevermind that everyone else who doesn't live on the border of the US has to actually APPLY, and WAIT for citizenship.
    Nevermind that if you Illegally Immigrated to many countries in the world, you would be jailed and may even be killed.

/rant

20. mxvet

mxvet New Member

What a shame...I will now delete RATM from my i-pod. Man I hate when performers try to make political statements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.