Racist/Offensive posts

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by UR2KLOS, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I was reading some posts today, and within 5 minutes I found 2 separate posts with the "n" word and several making fun of mental and physical disabilities. We don't need to be politically correct but this stuff is way over the top. This is often the first sign that an internet message board is starting to degenerate into permanent uselessness.

2. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Yep, STR has definitely changed since I've joined :?:

3. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    the "n" word? seriously? that is shocking actually and i have never seen that on any board, not even empty beer

as for making fun of handicapped, i agree 100%...saw that post...he should be banned for sure

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I hope it's all confined to the Pub. I can add a few more items that are offensive but that would be just an opinion and not worth starting a thread over. (OK take offense at my bad grammar).

I'll peek into to the Pub out of curiosity and even comment but overall I'll stick to mountain biking.

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Zero Tolerance

Have to agree. There is no place for racism PERIOD. And making fun of people with disabilities is just plain sick!

6. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    I haven't seen the posts, and even if I had I doubt I'd be offended (its pretty hard to offend me).

But in anycase if you don't like it don't read it, or better yet, add the poster to the ignore list. What offends one person won't offend another. Alot of things other cultures find offensive we see as every day life and would certainly not offend anyone... (women driving cars for one! )

yeah, but back on topic... if the owner of this board decides it is too lewd or vulgar for his taste then he'll delete it / ban the user (kinda fascist but oh well his decision to make

And if you want to be desensitized to off color jokes / remarks try watching "Drawn Together" it will change your life!

7. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Another sign that an internet message board is starting to degenerate into permanent uselessness is when people start saying things like "if you don't like it don't read it". When people got tired of that attitude in MTBR they came over here. It would be unfortunate if STR got the same reputation.

8. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Negative people must sit in the back of the bus. :wave:

9. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Not drinking beer is a choice, not a disaibility DeeZee. I won't stop making fun of you. Deal with it.

10. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    While I agree that at times the "if you don't like it don't read it" theory applies, I don't think it does here. There is no reason to have racist remarks on a message board, intent and tone can not be conveyed (hence many of the misunderstandings there have been lately).

11. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I think all of the internet forums are pretty much permanent uselessness. That's why I'm here. To have fun and screw off for a bit. If I wanted to do something usefull right now I'd log off this site and go do it.

With that said I don't use the n word and always keep race out of things. I read his post and don't really think he ment to be offensive. But people do get worked up for that stuff for sure.

I missed the handicapped deal. But making fun of the handicapped is like beating up a chick. Even if you win you're still a looser.

Edit <- I think I just found the other "offensive" post. And yeah, lets just say I wouldn't have posted those photos.

12. CalEpic

CalEpic member

As a moderator I can assure you that when we come across offensive posts/threads they will be deleted and the offender will be warned about making similar posts in the future. What's offensive to some is not to others. It's not always easy deciding where to draw the line.

If anyone see's an offensive post, please pm a moderator - we'll take care of it. We're not on here 24/7 and it's difficult to read every post, so if you could help us out it would be appreciated.

That said, this is the internet, it's not a dinner party at the White House. A little tolerance and judicious use of the ignore button will go a long way.

Craig
    STR Moderator

13. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Oh that "n" word.

14. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I closed that thread last night. This morning I got the notification about the post. I went back and removed the offensive attachments.

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Beer

:beer: (fizzy water)

Attached Files:

16. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

While I agree and have zero tolerance for some of the above things, I'm not sure that starting a thread about it solves anything. Let the mods know, from what I've seen, they are pretty good about deleting offensive threads/warnings and all. I'm pretty sure that their goal is NOT to be like some other websites ;)

17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

So, would posts and images from http://www.engrish.com be considered "racist"? Gosh, I hope not. Maybe not so PC but racist, I don't think. I personally think it's hilarious as all hell but mostly due to it's lost in translation affect.

I think anytime anyone drops the 'N" or "B" bomb, it's racist. You can slice it and dice it how you like, it's still very racist, wrong and doesn't belong, period. Saying that, I think sometimes people are too thin skinned. I make fun of myself and my own kind all the time and have no problem with others doing the same, within reason and taste. Cross that thin line and my foot will be firmly wedged up your arss before you can call mommy to save you from the big bad wolf.

18. Dial Tone

Dial Tone Airsofter-Biker

telecommunications
    Home Page:
    I'm not above crass humor but some of us visit this site at work. We may laugh at some posts in the privacy of our homes but at work some posts might not be socially acceptable.

19. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I really hope it is not thier goal, but I definately understand where you are coming from. MTBR has over a million users on it a day! I would guess it is hard to monitor every thread over there. It is a job I would not ever want to have!!!! a million???? HOLY COW!!!

20. katonk

katonk .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.