Racing and team?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Red Hawk, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I race on Team Big Bear’s race schedule which starts in March. Does anyone do there races? Are there any other race schedules out there? Looking to find people interested in racing and or training with.

I was interested in joining a team that has a big group of riders; does anyone know any good teams out there?

I know of one team called SC VELO I don’t know if anyone knows about them or if there a good one to join?

Here’s the Team Big Bear link if anyone’s interested.

http://www.teambigbear.com There schedule hasn’t been updated yet.

2. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

There are several teams out there. I'm not sure about where exactly you live, but I would check with your Local Bike Shop (LBS.) If you trust your LBS people, then you should be going in the right direction. You can always check last years results and see what team most of the people were on. I'm sure each of them has a website.
    Personally, I ride for The Path team in Tustin. :bang:
    Yes, they rock!
    There are several race series out there. Fontana starts this weekend, Big Bear (if it happens) and oh so many more!!!

Good luck.

3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I thought you rode for Warrior's?

I ride for whomever will take me (so far, I have to buy my way in--hahah). Eventually, I'm sure that I'll be laughed right off of the trail anyway ;)

It's all fun:bang:

4. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Hey Redhawk,

I did the Big Bear series last season along with Rim Nordic. If you need a training partner, give me a holla!!
    As far as a team goes, I raced privateer last year but had a bike sponsor -Salsa - and the years before that it was Eirks Bike Shop out of MN with Bianchi as my bike sponsor, road and dirt.
    It cost nothing to start a team, perhaps a STR "Forces of Freedom" needs to be started!
    If we want the squad to be recoginzed thru NORBA we do need to register which costs a little bit of cash8)

5. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    The Warrior Society team was dissolved in the Fall of last year. :(

Other MTB teams:
    Bicycle John's
    Coates Cyclery
    AFP Velo

I have heard about the Path team but no details.

Ellsworth Bikes might need a female endurance racer since Timiri P just left for Kenda/Titus.

6. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    wow - wasn't aware. What was the reasoning? (Warrior's Society Racing

seems like some competitive riders

7. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    STR having a team? Well that would be a wonderful Idea. What's your age division? I think I saw one or two salsa sponsored riders. If you intrested in training let me know.

8. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    It's a long story and I'm sure there are several different versions. It was a good team, strong riders.

Some folks, like Jason First, OCrider, Monique and myself ride for Sho-Air (Monique has since moved on to X-fusion). Others ride for the new Path team. I think the rest don't really race anymore.

9. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I always get started late, but I try to organize a team for Incycle. Yes it's true that it does not take a lot of money to get a team started, but it does take time. For the past two years, I have run the DH team for Incycle, and this year, we are going to try to combine the XC and DH teams into one camp, to try to bring some cohesiveness. The XC team has basically been run through SC Velo previously, so we'll see how that goes. This is a very grassroots team, but has some pretty cool perks to go along with it. I will post more as details are more certain. I believe that SScheetz posted a similar thread on here a while back, and I remember completely agreeing with what he said, more or less, that if you already support a LBS, continue to do so! If you are wanting to try out racing, or have previously raced, but are not connected with a shop, then maybe this is for you. We welcome everyone, and there are definitely some very knowledgeable and helpful people on the team.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    They found out Mario was a superhuman ( I think he went by the name of Flash ) and it wasn't fair so they left.

11. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I don't know anything about the dirt racing teams, but if you live in the vicinity of the Incycle shops you probably can't go wrong with the SC Velo team. I have been in the Incycle shops and they are some of my favorite shops in SoCal. I wish they were closer. I have raced against the SC Velo folks (in the slow and fat categories) and they were good racers with good attitudes.

If you don't live near the Incycle shops I recommend seeing what your local shop has to offer.

Just my $.02.

~R

12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

I've only raced beginner, though I'm moving on to sport this year (I think), I'm not sure how I'll do--far from superhuman here. I do hope try a few more things, too (24Hr, maybe a hill climb, etc)

I think I'm going with AFP/Velosport again.

The problem I have with it is that I don't really live close, have never been able to make a team meeting, and don't really know anyone else on the team (so I don't ever ride with them).

Perks: discount at Rock N Road, support at some of the races (good when I take my daughter, somewhere she can hang out) and, my newest found fave perk: discount on sport's massage. Seriously, how can you go wrong with that? :p

13. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Lacey is also on the Path Team now. And she is also going to race sport.:bang:
    She'll be racing Fontucky this weekend, so it'll be fun to see how she does. There never seem to be any other girls her age out there racing, so I always just tell her to play beat the clock. My wife on the other hand, tell's her to just pass the boys!:clap: And when we are racing the same course, I make her some kind of friendly wager, like "if you can beat my time I'll pay for the cheesecake" and that can motivate her to put the hammer down on me!;)

14. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

=P~ Mmmmm, cheesecake.

Good luck to you guys at Fontucky this weekend!

I know that last year, I was the only beginner female in my age group (one of three beginner females total). It wasn't until Sea Otter that I had a "real" race. Cheesecake would have motivated me a bit more, maybe even to beat the boys (heehee).

15. andy aka rut

I did race for the Warrior's. In fact, I was even the captain/co-captain for two of those years. Why did we dissolve? The main reason was the communication of the team and the Warrior's Society. At first it all seemed good, then a few things changed and a few people got angry. All in all the WS is about making sure the trails are going to be there for our children's children, it is not about racing. The team sorta put a split in the WS. Since the team has dissolved, the unity of the club has started to redevelop. There are still some upset people out there and I don't blame them for being that way. I just want to be sure if my girls ever decide to get dirty on a bike, the Santa Ana's are available for them.

Heyya mp3!,
    I had to do some digging to figure out just who you are. How have you been? I'm guessing you'll respond later because you are out there training. Quite a few of us are still racing. It's the off season, you know?! I recently got into cross racing. I'm loving it. Too bad I got into it at the end of the season.
    The Path does have a team starting up this year. DH and XC with some Adventure, Tri and CX tossed in. Tani wants to keep it pretty small right now. It is going to stay small for the first year or so, before he allows too many people to get involved. Several years ago, quite a few of the guys all raced. Tani wanted to see if the "regular guys" would be interested in racing for him. It's going to be an interesting year. Now that I'm single again I'm diving head first into racing this year. I'm even cutting back on the Newcastles. Notice I said cutting back and not stopping! :beer:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  16. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    hmm does the Path team take young DH riders??

17. andy aka rut

You can always go in and ask. If you do, ask for Tani (Tauny) he owns the shop. All of them are great guys though.

18. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Dayum, you SHOULD cut back on the Newcastle...gives more room for the Guiness ;)

19. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I ride XC! whats a regular guy mean for u? NOT A PRO? yeah thats me!!:lol: I guess I'll talk to Tauny next time I'm out there begging for a better price he he.:lol:

20. andy aka rut

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant to say is the guys that regularly frequent the shop. This year I'm pretty sure Tani already has his team in place, but it would not hurt to ask.
    I'm not a pro by any means. I might be faster than a FEW of you, but going pro is a completely different level. Pro's train and race 35-40 hours a week. If they are not riding the bike they are in the gym, running or getting a
    swim in. They have nutritionists, trainers and managers. If I can get 10-15 hours a week in, I'm pretty stoked on it.