Race/ride from San Berdoo to Big Bear?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by westcoaster, Oct 14, 2013.

1. westcoaster

westcoaster New Member

Does anyone know of a race/ride that starts in the Redlands area and travels up to Big Bear? My buddy said he heard of said ride, but didn't have any details.

sounds interesting.

2. heith

heith Member

management
    "Breathless agony" it is a timed event but wouldn't call it a race.

3. biknpam

biknpam Member

There is also Ride Around the Bear - but not a race; an event ride. Starts at Univ. of Redlands heads up 330 and comes down 38... Check with the Riverside Bike Club to see if they know of any races...

4. westcoaster

westcoaster New Member

He said it was mtn bike. I'm down for a good road ride, but mtn roads with cars scare me a bit.

5. biknpam

biknpam Member

You have no idea how scary a ride both these road events are... narrow roads and heavy car and truck traffic...

I've not heard of a mountain bike race; it would have to be on the Santa Ana River Trail... google it and see what happens...

6. barbanegra

barbanegra New Member

It might be the one from the South Fork to Redlands, is a ride, point to point, you'll shuttle from Redlands

7. riiz

riiz Member

You could probably ride from Redlands to Big Bear, but it would be tough. I'm thinking head up to Mentone, take the singletrack that end's at Garnet, the street that dead ends into Greenspot Liquor, to Morton's Peak and then follow SART the rest of the way to Glass Rd. Then take Clark's grade up to Big Bear or 2n10?

8. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    There is no mountain bike race that goes from Redlands to Big Bear. If it was recently you heard this your friend may have been talking about the Bike for Bender Hell Ride. Info is here - http://www.bikeforbender.com/sart-hell-ride/. The ride is Nov 2 this year. It's a shuttle, with lots of downhill, but a good amount of climbing as well. A great day on the bike if you've never done it. Here's a GPS of last year's ride - http://www.strava.com/activities/28118087

Riding from Redlands to Big Bear is certainly doable on the mountain bike if you don't mind a little road. Here's the route I took the one time I did it - http://www.strava.com/activities/13792532

If I did it again I'd probably go up Clarke's Grade or Radford, but I was on my singlespeed and avoided those 2 climbs since they're so steep.

Here's a link to the Facebook event for Hell Ride - https://www.facebook.com/events/523054744444492/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  9. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    This would probably be the route of choice. I've done Clark's once, and it was tough on my geared bike. Can't imagine it SS.

Gotta second this! There's so much that's just awesome about this event.

However, maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine doing the Hell Ride route in reverse, and then climbing up to Summit or Big Bear. Great googily-moogily! That'd be over 10,000' of gain, no?

10. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    ^^ 10,000 sounds excessive, considering the lake is at 6750 I believe, but open for correction.

It's still a BUTT load of dread on the saddle for sure, wanting to....climb.... All that.

Steve

11. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Redlands is about 1500' and the top of Snow Summit is about 8000'. That's 6500' right there. There's a pretty big drop in elevation from Angelus Oaks to the bottom of Clarke's or Radford. You have to make that back up. My guess would be 8500'. When I did it I got 12,000' on the day, but that route went around Sugarloaf which added some climbing (it just wasn't as steep), plus my ride included a couple thousand feet of climbing on the route home.

12. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Here is my version of redlands to big bear. Actually, its more like highland to lake arrowhead.

http://www.strava.com/activities/953945

All fireroad, but I really enjoyed it. Some amazing views.