Quick link stretch, elongation, wear, etc.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 9er, Mar 23, 2014.

1. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    So I noticed some drivetrain shift lagging and skipping and figured it was my chain wearing out. Although I check it all the time, and always well within range. Check it again and all good. Looked at cassette, all good. ???

Keep riding and the skipping became more pronounced. Not a lot, but even once is too much for me.

Stumped, I really start to think about it. I only have 1300 miles on this drivetrain. So I check the quicklink only, and bingo! The zone fore and aft is out of range. So it is the link itself that has worn out of sync with the main body of the chain. Hmmm, I guess it makes sense somewhat.

2. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    It makes sense that it will wear since it has a pin like any other link and the side plates are usually thinner to facilitate the install/removal. It probably wouldn't hurt to change the quick link out before the chain although I've never had any issues and on occasion reused an old link. I am pretty generous with chain lube on the links but not sure if that makes any difference. Out of curiosity what type of chain, speeds, and link are you using?

3. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I have had 2 chains break in the last few years and both broke at the quick link. SRAM and KMC 10 speed. I think that you guys are right and the quick link probably wears faster and fails quicker than a regular link. I have already started to replace the quick links at more frequent intervals.

4. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    KMC 10spd SL gold with supplied link. Meticulously maintained.
    I'm ok with changing the link every 600 if it means I get 1200+ out of the chain.