Push tune that Fox Float CTD Evolution or Bike Co Marz TST Air **Rear shock**

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by von, Sep 7, 2013.

1. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Need more advice on another topic.

Im not sure if Im tuning the Fox float evo ( rear shock ) that came stock on my bike correctly. It has felt really harsh and there is a lot of chatter. I can make do with my legs as suspension but Id like for the shock to do most of the work in that regard.

Currently I have 110 PSI in it to have it at the appropriate sag. I weigh in at 130.

To have it plush I either need too little air to the point where its bottoming out and the o ring is just sitting on the eyelets at the end of the ride OR OD it on air and have it super stiff.

So now comes my true question. Should I:

1. Scrap the darn thing and get a Bike Co Marz ($500 new and tuned out the door)

2. Send the Fox shock to push and have them tune it. (I have seen some posts saying that they do nothing more than put a sticker on it) ($169 + Possible $70 for HV cannister + shipping)

3. Buy a used Fox DHX 5 air for sub $200 and send it to Avalanche ($200 + shipping for tune up )

Thanks folks

2. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    what frame is it going on? I love my Bikeco Marz tst air on my Mojo HD, but do not know how they tune it for other frames.

Also, the bikeco does a custom tune to the ctd that I have heard great things about, I would talk to them about that too.

3. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Hey! How's things? Haven't talked to you since the last time you showed me around Aliso ( with Andre Jon et al) ! Hope all is well.

Anyhow its going on a Norco range which is a FSR platform.

I called them and they told me that they don't do the fox float. Maybe I should shoot them another call and confirm.

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

The cheapest and easiest tuning option is to get a Fox Volume Spacer kit. It's only 25 bucks.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesday-How-to-Install-a-Fox-Air-Volume-Spacer-2011.html

"Air-sprung shocks can be tuned to work with a relatively wide range of rider weights. That said; there are instances when an air spring cannot be satisfactorily tuned because a rider is too heavy for a particular suspension design, would like to use less air pressure without bottoming the suspension, or may want the shock to perform outside of the limitations imposed by the volume of its stock air canister. The Fox Float Volume Spacer kit allows you to tune your air-shock's spring rate inexpensively and without tools"

If u dont feel the shock bottoming and just concerned that youre dropping the o-ring indicator to the shock mounts, you probably need just a tad of tuning.

5. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

3rd option CC DB air.

6. LowLow

LowLow New Member

Does Push tune CTD stuff? Their site doesn't list it...

7. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    On a side note, having had work done by PUSH, I can vouch for their skills. I had my RP23 done by them (after sending it to FOX to have them "repair" it under warranty) and it's a totally different beast. The key is to tell them exactly what you want in the comments section of the order form. I went as far as send them YouTube links to some of the trails I ride. Not sure if it helped or not, but the tune they did fits where I ride to a T. Just my $.02

8. hillharman

hillharman New Member

I can confirm that they do. It's not substantially different from an RP23 with propedal.

Also, I'm pretty happy with my Push tuned Float CTD rear shock, but there's a limit to what a shock like that can do no matter how well it's tuned. The Bike Co Marz is probably a better overall shock, and either would be tuned to your weight, frame, and riding style, presumably.

9. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Interesting. Thanks maybe I should try this first. Im not very technically inclined. Im prone to screwing things up haha. Ill probably need to bring it to a shop.

10. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Im fairly certain that they do.

11. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Gotcha thanks for the tip. Im going to try Bings solution first and see how it goes from there.

12. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    That too hahha

13. LowLow

LowLow New Member

Thanks, that's good to know. I saw that the CTD stuff wasn't listed on their website and in the FAQs it says that unless it's listed they don't work on it. Do they work on the 2013 Fox Float forks too? They only list up through 2012.

14. hillharman

hillharman New Member

They are working on a very cool mod for the Fox 34 CTD forks, but I don't think it's ready yet. It is a total revamp to the damper and compression controls.

15. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    The BikeCo Marz Roco TST isn't really a good match for an FSR suspension. There's not enough platform in the shock (unless it's fully locked, which isn't good). I know this first hand. Their custom Marz shock works great with VPP and DW link designs.

I think you just need the right volume spacer in your Fox. A bigger spacer allows you to run less air and keep a plusher beginning stroke and it will ramp up faster than normal, preventing bottom out. Try that first.

16. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

If anyone has had experience with multiple forks, It's Herr Herzalot.
    He knows of what he speaks.

So I'm taking from this the BikeCo in lake forest does custom tunes on shocks?

17. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Gotcha. I think I am going the spacer route. Good thing I got the 411 here cus they gave me the impression that the tst was the route to go.

18. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I talked to someone at bike co and they said they don't do rear fox ctd shocks. However,they do work on fox ctd forks.

19. bing!

bing! Active Member

'

start with the small one. my dh bike is very progressive and it likes to pop :)

20. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Yep yep I was hoping for a cheaper solution that would let me use my existing equipment.