"Protection" on rides...what do you take with you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avilabrands, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Most of what you need to know will be found in these threads:

What to carry on a ride

First Aid(What to carry)

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/racing-training/10301-nutrition-hydration.html

Mountain Lions: What you should and shouldn't do.(merged)

what's the protocal with rattlesnakes?

All of these can be found in this thread: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...stickys-search-here-general-info-stickys.html

Like most who ride in OC, the San Gabes, Big Bear area, or Southern Sierras, we ride in rattlesnakes, mtn lion and bear country all the time. Chances are, you'll see a snake for sure, but as far as bears or mtn lions, chances are slim since they run away before you even see them. You have a better chance of suffering from heat exhaustion/heat stroke or hypothermia before any animal attack. These are the things you need to concern yourself with instead. Just
    my .02

2. ls2monaro

ls2monaro New Member

I usually carry a j frame in a pocket holster. Not to worried about wildlife encounters, but more of the human kind. I have seen first hand a handful of people mugged on the trail/trail parking lot.

3. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    "Protection" as from "creatures", a.k.a. the stuff that lives in their natural habitat that you ride in? I guess the only type of easily accessible weapon I have at all times is my bike. It's not one of those lightweight carbon fiber jobs so a good swing can do some damage to any offending four-legged critter should they decide I'd make a good lunch. :lol:

In seriousness I worry much more about using good observation to avoid snakes and other small stuff and take the risk that the bigger stuff probably has better things to do than come after me. It's also about knowing where you're riding, the conditions, what are the risks for the area and if you can effectively mitigate them. What's the chance a mountain lion is going to attack me and then should the worst case happen, is carrying a gun or big knife in a CamelBak really going to help? Probably not. If I worried about it that much I'd probably stay at home, wouldn't drive, fly, have electricity, or stand outside. Lighting and being struck by falling space debris could happen too.

That's not to say go to the opposite extreme like people who justify things like not wearing seatbelts because of the "if something is going to happen it's going to happen" mentality, but be realistic and takes steps when needed. Things like running out of water on a remote ride, getting lost, suffering a catastrophic bike failure are much bigger dangers for me and there are things I can do things to reduce the chance they'll happen in the first place and should something happen to be prepared. If you do have a fear about a bad encounter with wildlife I wouldn't have an issue carrying a small canister of pepper spray strapped to my top tube and maybe in certain areas that might be wise. But for me and where I currently ride I don't think it's needed.

4. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

5. Jmoe29er

Jmoe29er Member

VP Music Accessories Distribution
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

This baby keeps the trail free of large beasts human and animal both

6. throttlemire

throttlemire New Member

Magazine Publisher
    Home Page:
    Cell phones are hit and miss, mostly miss on the really good trails! I take a SPOT Satellite messenger with me. It has an SOS button for emergencies and always has reception. It also has a tracking feature so family/friends can track exactly where you are should you go missing. Great idea for those who ride alone. They offer medivac airlift "insurance" for anywhere in the world for something like $20. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

7. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    A guy I know that does a lot of solo riding got "the spot" and that seems to work really well even where cellphones don't.
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Seems like a cool idea especially if you do a lot of back country riding.

8. dragonsback79

dragonsback79 New Member

If a big kitty wants a piece...it will get a piece and you won't even know about it coming. Sorry to say.
    As for snakes...ride with buddies and keep your eyes open.

Coyotes and bobcats...and maybe a pissed off frog, you'll be fine.

Leathermens are useless...fumbling around to pull out the knife part...oh wait that was my screwdriver...hold on gimmie a sec knife is somewhere in here. hahahaa

If you ride alone then maybe a GPS tracking ap on your smart phone? At least when a kitty takes you down they will know where your carcass is.

9. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    I'm surprised this thread is still going.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.