Project SS cont.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evel Knievel, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Evel Knievel

Evel Knievel New Member

Built a SS as cheap as possible. It is pretty light . Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Evel Knievel

Evel Knievel New Member

more pics

Attached Files:

3. Evel Knievel

Evel Knievel New Member

My wish list includes a Surly rigid fork. The 4.65 lb Psylo will have to do for now.

My thoughts on SSing ;

I was tempted to gear it lower. I went with a 32/18. It spins out quick on the flat ground. It is fairly hard to climb while seated on any thing over mild incline. When it comes time to get SS specific cog and chainring . I will likely go with 33/18 to get the odd teeth count. A few climbs of STT should give me an idea of what I really need.

Pointing down hill I hear my CK hub more than ever. Coasting is part of the experience. Lay back and enjoy the ride! Have to admit I was aways trying to get some where in a hurry but had no where to go. I think my over all outdoor enjoyment will increase.

Flat ground is almost excruciating slow or to high cadence to maintain. I hope to get stronger to push more teeth. Or just learn to relax and enjoy the ride.

Uphill is not to bad. I am geared less than 2:1 , so it is expected. Long moderate grades were not so tough. A 1/2 mile of steep stuff almost got me to quit and take a break, but one look back seeing the bottom so close made me grit it out and pedal on. This inner machismo is going to make me a stronger rider. Only a good thing.

Changes I need to make are a Very knobbie rear tire , to get more traction while standing and climbing in the dirt.

I have tasted the koolaid and I like it. Silence is golden and strait chainlines are king. A SS for life after two rides.

Evel.

4. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Welcome, nothing like SSing.

5. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Evel, you do a good job of selling the SS experience!

...maybe my ol'Kona steel-frame HT will cross into the SS some day... :-k

6. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    Nice build! Do you think it's worth converting a late 80's low end Performance mountain bike into a single speed (Chr-mo)? It's got a threaded headset and crap for parts? :?: One day I may go ss on the trails, but right now I'm happy where I'm at. I ride a fixed gear road bike conversion as my commuter. That's enough single speed fun for now. :D
    [​IMG]
    Here's an updated picture. I got new handlebars and am using an aerobrake for the front now.

7. Evel Knievel

Evel Knievel New Member

That is one clean looking commuter. Nice ! I really like the handle bars and e-brake.

A threaded streerer will limit fork and stem options. Other than that steel is real . Or go with the super cheap alum frame like I did.

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Conversions

You guys should totally try it. It's a fun/cheap project that won't take too long. Just look out on those older frames. I tried to convert an 1990 Diamond BAck Apex Cro-mo frame. Frame was way too flexy. I kept pulling chains apart. Nothing worse than torque-ing up a hill and have the chain suddenly snap. You either do a uphill endo or bang your knee.

Texlepomis, on your Kona I think you might be able to go w/out the tensioner. Try different combos but I think guys can get 32/18 or 34/20 to work sans the tensioner.

Post pics if you do it.

Pho'dUp

9. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Thanks for the insight, I'll keep it in mind. I'm strapped for cash these days, so no major work in my near future, but maybe in a few months...