Pro Team Training in Tuscon AZ attacked

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by checksix, Feb 25, 2013.

1. checksix

checksix Member

Now we have a Pro Team on a training ride attacked.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...-hand-account-of-the-jamis-hit-and-run_275971

TUCSON, Arizona (VN) — Most cyclists here in the States have experienced some level of aggressive behavior from motorists. It usually comes in the form of taunts about our spandex, a belch of exhaust accompanying a startling downshift, or an uncomfortably close buzz. But on Friday morning during our team training camp in Tucson, Arizona, the Jamis-Hagens Berman team experienced something much worse. A driver, who police later identified as Rodney Kinkade Jr. of Tucson, came up from behind on our large group, took aim, and used his car as a battering ram. Fortunately, none of us were gravely injured, but the incident highlighted the growing senseless friction between cyclists and motorists.

The Jamis team chose Tucson for its camp location because of its favorable weather and training terrain. Tucson is generally regarded as a bike-friendly city and indeed has long been somewhat of a domestic cycling mecca.

We departed for our ill-fated training ride on Friday at 10:00 a.m., headed out of town on Valencia Road, a common thoroughfare with a generous shoulder bounded by a white line. The 15-rider group was riding two-abreast in a long line, as far to the right as possible, in full accordance with Arizona traffic law. Our team’s strength and conditioning coach Todd Herriott and I were on the front, he on my left, closest to the passing traffic. Kinkade’s tan Oldsmobile Aurora suddenly and violently impacted Todd’s left side. He and I crashed hard on the front of the group as Mr. Kinkade sped away. My teammates also reported that Mr. Kinkade was shouting obscenities at us during the attack through his open car window.

As Todd and I lay on the ground struggling to comprehend what had happened, my unscathed teammate Ben Jacques-Maynes sprinted past us in an impressive pursuit of the fleeing car. Ben did not manage to catch the perpetrator, but he swiftly came upon our team car, which was waiting for us at our next turn and breathlessly explained the situation to our sport director, Sebastian Alexandre. Sebastian quickly resumed the pursuit along with his serendipitous passenger, John Segesta, a professional photographer in possession of a DSLR camera with a telephoto lens. John photographed numerous cars and license plates before the pair returned to the scene of the crime for the team members to positively identify the driver and vehicle.

John nailed him — crystal clear in high-definition on his camera was a shot of Kinkade’s car and Arizona license plate. Mr. Kinkade underestimated the cohesiveness and capability of the Jamis squad. Ben and various teammates spread the word and the license plate number through social media, and within a couple hours an article appeared in the cycling press.

The Tucson Police Department arrived quickly, responding with nearly a dozen officers and two detectives. Aware of the burgeoning attention towards the incident, Tucson police ran the plates and found Mr. Kinkade in his home. According to one of the detectives, Kinkade had washed his car in an apparent attempt to remove the evidence of the attack, but a large scratch remained from the collision. He admitted to yelling at us as he passed, but denied making physical contact. In spite of this denial, he was taken into custody and will appear before the Pima County Court on March 14 on charges of felony aggravated assault. In my opinion, he deserves 15 counts of this charge, as all of us in the group were endangered by his reckless criminal behavior.

In addition to damaged bikes and shredded apparel, Todd and I were among the wreckage of the attack, bruised and battered, but fortunately without any broken bones. The fall-out could have been much worse, but the unprovoked attack by Mr. Kinkade was wholly unnecessary. I understand that cyclists sometimes slow traffic, which can annoy motorists, but we share just as much right to the use of roadway, and no amount of annoyance or delay could justify an assault with a 4,000-pound weapon like his Oldsmobile.

I want to thank the Tucson Police Department for taking the attack so seriously. The city truly lived up to its bike-friendly reputation with its thorough and effective response, and I believe that this incident should not deter cyclists from visiting the city. Rodney Kinkade does not represent the general attitude of Tucson drivers towards cyclists. I am also thankful to all of my Jamis teammates for skipping some training and remaining at the scene of the crime for four hours in order to give the police their statements on the incident.

I’ll be back on my bike and doing my best in 2013, but the close call was a sobering reminder of the danger of cycling on the open roads. My hope is that some good can come of this situation if Mr. Kinkade is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, thereby raising the general awareness of the consequences of recklessly endangering cyclists.

2. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Efing people! That is premeditated ADW. Hope he dies a slow painfull death.

3. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
  4. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    People in russia are wearing helmet cam DVRs. 49 bucks at Frys.com I'm getting one so I can remember where I left my car keys.

5. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

glad nobody was more seriously injured.

After reading this and several other similar stories I think its a good idea to have a go pro mounted on the bars or helmet when riding the road. Traffic incidents in russia are so bad a lot of them have a dash cam for this very reason. I think half the gopro's sold, are sold to russians.

[video=youtube;itMdLTd1l4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E[/video]

[video=youtube;Tywr6PbjXsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tywr6PbjXsE[/video]

6. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

For those considering a helmet cam or handlebar cam, understand that if you get into an incident you may be required to show the entire video footage and if that is the case you will want to make sure you are stopping at every stop sign and adhering to all traffic laws. The video can help you or hurt you if establishes a pattern for reckless behavior. As for the Arizona incident, isn't Arizona one of those free states that allow carry permits? Start packing some heat and if your life is threatened shoot the Mother Effer.

7. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Many roadies will ignore this good piece of advice. Too many dicks out there running lights, riding sidewalks and making general asses out of themselves...and the rest of us.

Not to vent on roadies only: at the end of Stagecoach where the BIG signs are AND a fence to make "riders dismount" and "Walk" that little section of boulders - some dick with his fancy carbon F/S AND nice new local shop kit blows by me as I'm dismounting ("On your left!") and hops the bottom rail and huffs it up the hill, making everyone stop until he clears it. Sheit....weak stuff.

Been hit by cars (twice) on local roads. Until we put more cams out there (particularly on big group rides) I don't think much will change the mindset of twisted mofos who get their kicks bullying cyclists.

8. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Problem with this is that the "heat" would weigh too much...unless its one of those nice Mitch Leary specials.

9. granny ring

granny ring Not Really Here

kept man
    Not condoning what the driver did but when I read 15 rider pack my first thought was not.......
    " The 15-rider group was riding two-abreast in a long line, as far to the right as possible, in full accordance with Arizona traffic law."
    What else would he say.

10. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

I don't ride road often but I have a road bike and I try and always be aware of my surroundings and how I ride. My rule of thumb is, don't ride like a d*ck and I never ride in packs usually no more than 2 or 3 total. I have encountered peloton sized groups and for the most part they are pricks but we have to share the road with them. But if these guys are screwing around on roads and purposely intrusive to traffic traffic well then you reap what you sow. There are some crazy people out there and I wouldn't chance going up against a 2 or 3 ton car in my spandex and faux helmet.

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I love how the general consesus is always that the cyclists are doing something wrong and never that thedrivers are ignorant and have no idea what is going on.

Case in point?

I had my first "incident" since I moved to Moreno Valley yesterday. I was stopped at a red light in the left hand turn lane and had a motorists, who was stopped next to me, roll down his window and ask me a question. He asked me why we (as in cyclists) thought we were cars and proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't be in the left hand turn lane. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that this guy was also shouting obsenities at cyclists, throwing things at them, buzzing by them, etc..

That is probably the same mentality that many motorsists have. I calmy told the guy that we had to follow the same rules as the cars and that we were required to be in the left hand turn lane to make a left hand turn. He kept shouting at me telling me he didn't believe it and I politely asked him to please look it up when he got home. I sure hope he did, but I realize that is is highly improbable.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl37.htm

12. obie

obie New Member

poolman