Ride Report Pre-Turkey Day Blackstar - Skyline Trails - Blackstar

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Garrett, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I've had this nagging urge to do a particular ride for almost a year now - climb Blackstar, drop into Corona, climb up Skyline, and drop back into Blackstar via the myriad of steep, overgrown singletracks that branch off of the fire road. What better day to do such a ride than the day before America's favorite pig-out holiday? I was joined by Mo and my bike and Zak WAAAAAAZ on this epic day out in the Santa Ana's and I'd say it was definitely one to remember.

Earlier this week on Monday Zak, myself and another friend set out on a scouting mission to plan our route back down Blackstar. On a previous night ride we couldn't find the final descent into the canyon, which I remember being steep, loose, and fun, but a little short. Luckily on that ride we were able to find both the "Booby Trap" singletrack that drops into Hidden Ranch and the final singletrack descent which is exactly as I remember but rutted out. With the scouting ride out the way and a route planned for the descent I felt confident that on the big ride as long as our legs were ready then so were we.

The climb up Blackstar was pretty normal/uneventful. The weather was merciful and spared us heat and wind which was nice. Lots of hikers out enjoying the day.

[​IMG]
    View of Hidden Valley from a mile below the gate

[​IMG]
    Blackstar Canyon from Beek's Place

After a bite to eat and a short rest we geared up to descend Troy Lee trail. Didn't get any pictures on the way down because we didn't want to stop. It had a few really nice berms and some fun doubles/tables. Both trails were pretty rutted any time the trail traveled down a fall-line which was a little disappointing because you could tell the trails would have great flow and speed if not for having to cross over big ruts every 5ft.

[​IMG]
    Mo gets like 3ft of air

[​IMG]
    Zak showing his inner steeze

[​IMG]
    Zak airing out one of the bigger gaps. Skill and style!

Before we knew it we'd descended the full 1,800ft and were in Corona! Was a pretty cool feeling to start in one county and end up in another. By the time we had pedaled back over to Skyline my legs were already starting to feel some burn, not a great sign when you're only halfway through this kind of ride, and Mo was almost out of water. We asked some girls at the bottom where to find water but didn't have any luck, but they did say that if they heard of 3 guys missing in the mountains they would know where to find us. Thanks! :lol: (No, Mo didn't get their numbers)

Back up Skyline was a lot more difficult mentally any physically than I was expecting. Mileage wise its a little more than half of the distance of Blackstar but almost double the average grade, which after Blackstar was physically pretty difficult. Combine that with the high mountains that surround you to remind you that you still have a plenty of vertical to cover and it's quite the mental challenge. Zak was long gone towards Beek's by the time Mo and I were hurting, even hiking at times to give our legs a rest from pedaling. Eventually though we made it back to the top.

[​IMG]
    Panoramic view of where we came from

[​IMG]
    Zak and Mo giving the thumbs up.

[​IMG]
    Looking back towards Beek's and the Doppler

[​IMG]

Looking towards downtown LA. Smoggier than earlier in the day.

Again, we padded up to head down the Blackstar singletracks and fire road. Too much fun for pictures. Not the most technical trails but you definitely get that "path less traveled" backcountry feeling when going down them. In the summer you'd definitely have to be very careful about ticks.

[​IMG]

Back at the cars, Mo was out of water and so dehydrated I think his brain's logic functions shut down and he took a nap in his trunk.

And that finished up our epic day of riding! I'd say we earned our turkey on this one. Would I do this again? Yes, but I'd skip Troy Lee and drop Skinsuit instead. Skinsuit feels like it's own trail/descent whereas Troy Lee felt more like an extra-credit addition to Skyline, and while Troy Lee has it's own level of gnar, Skinsuit is on a a different level.

If you made it this far thanks for reading! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. :bang::bang:

2. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Thanks for the RR Garrett. Looks like a fine time was had by all. Mo in the trunk is priceless.

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Dig reading people's RR especially w humor, yours was no exception!! Thx for the stoke....

Mo, buy some new shorts!!

4. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    The only reason i said yes to this trail is because Garretts my boyfreind, and I want a healthy relatioship lol. Awesome time with some amazing buds. Me,Gdawg, and Zwaazz have been lucky enough to have some awesome adventures (some not too awesome at the time) with each other/ Looking forward to alot more and going to mis big old garrett when he leaves me for chico in december. Ride on!

5. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

thanks for the RR!

6. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

SART :lol:

7. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Awesome RR! The shot of Mo sleeping in the trunk is priceless. Thanks for posting!

8. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Nice RR & Great Shots! Happy Turkey Day!

9. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Nice work guys! Thanks for sharing! And Mo, ignore Rox - the wardrobe is fine!

10. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Ahahaha...if you only knew the crap he gives me outside of STR, I'm mild in comparison!! ;)