Prayer is needed....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DirtymikeTDB, Jul 20, 2011.

1. korunner

korunner Member

I wish your friend well, hopefully this is the wake up call he needs. Many people find religion in jail and then when they get out, they go right back to doing what they did that got them jailed in the first place. Your friend obviously has a problem and won't get help until he really wants it. I pray(for him and for you) that this is where his mind is at now. This way he can take whatever the law hands him and come out a better person. By the way, I try to live my life decently, but if circumstances ever lead me to get into trouble, I hope I have a good a friend as you are to this person. Take care and God Bless.

2. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Why start reading? Because normally a title of that nature is for someone either critically injured or suffering from a cancer -- even someone in need of a job or some other assistance. I am a very spiritual person without being a bible thumper and a very charitable person as well (just ask my LBS - kidding), so the title piqued my interest. But when I saw it was for someone with a prior DUI doing what was described in the post, I couldn't hold back.

I think it is very insensitive of people being so "it's the Jesus way or no way". It has a tone to it which, I think, counters what Christianity is all about. Look at the environment it has created, mega churches with Starbucks and rock bands. Not very spiritual to me. Plus I feel that what is lost in today's vehement Christianity is that not only are Catholics not considered "Christian" (logic points to anyone on the Jesus team is Christian), but there are many other religions that are not anti-any other religion.

I think it's futile and self-serving to get so wrapped up in "Christian-only" prayer in this situation.

3. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I sent you a PM so this thread isn't diverted anymore

4. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Huh, sine I didn't get your PM, I'll comment on what you erased before writing the quoted response. You wrote something about me not knowing Christianity, I should go to a bible based church, and I should join a group. Sound about right?

First off what I know about Christianity is from living it in the rural Midwest in the 70's where true help/love thy neighbor was the norm. I also know of it from classes taken at Fordham University (a Jesuit school as most should know). I, unlike most people today, like to study many sources of information and draw my own conclusions. I have read both books and frankly think the first one makes more sense.

I find this group mentality of only listening to one viewpoint and opposing other viewpoints as very unintelligent.

I feel religion has become a crutch. If drugs or alcohol was your crutch, become born again and religion becomes the crutch. Okay, not going to get anyone killed in a DUI, but I think t was important to point out the futility of praying for this guy when it should have been done much sooner. If it had been, well obviously it didn't work. No doubt he'll find Jesus in jail though.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Rjc... take it somewere else please.......

If you want to debate right or wrong..... start a thread about it, dont bring it here.

6. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Dude, you brought it by responding to my original post warranting a response. You didn't like what I had to say about the situation and kept responding. I wish your friend well. He needed help way before now.

Take care.

7. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Regardless of one's beliefs, please keep it respectful. Any bashing will not be tolerated.

8. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I agree 100%.

9. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Aw, c'mon... not even a little? What good are religions, if they can't be lampooned? ;)

10. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    I honestly think we commonly see a form of discrimination when a thread gets aggressively moderated, but only after the preachers have had their say. How is ranting "only Jesus can save you" not the same thing as intolerance of atheism?

If you allow one side, you have to allow the other.

11. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Back to the subject of the OP, I'd like to remind that every time anyone has done a study on the effectiveness of congregations praying for the afflicted, they've found that when the people being prayed for weren't made aware of the people praying for them, there was no effect on their recovery, and when the people being prayed for were made aware, their situations &/or medical results actually worsened, likely as a result of either giving up trying to mentally fight the situation & trusting it to be in a gods hands, or the added pressure & stress of knowing several thousand people had expectations of their recovery.

If you want someone to improve, having strangers, even honest believers, praying for them has a negative effect. The studies were published in worldwide medical journals, you can look em up.

12. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Don't go bringing your fancy facts into this conversation . . . .

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Thank you.
    Because in this situation I would like the thread to remain on topic in stead of getting derailled as to what is what with religon betweenbelivers and non belivers.

14. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    I find it interesting that people think prayer is... God please give me something, God please do this, God if you could just help out this situation or that. Too bad prayer isnt a wish list where we ask for things and get them. Prayer is a conversation designed to keep a relationship healthy between us and Almighty God who knows the number of hairs on your head, calls the stars of the universe by name and cares deeply when even a little sparrow passes away. Prayer changes things and I am living proof of that. The OP simply asked us to talk to God and intercede on his friends behalf. I am glad people prayed for me becuase I dont know where I would be today without it.

15. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    sounds like this guy is trying hard to prove the theory of Darwin. Prying that God touches his life.

16. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    I'll bet all the people who prayed in those congregations wish they knew what praying really is!
    And all the people who suffered and died because they were doing it wrong too.

17. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    This guys' a screw up... and prayer is for fairy tale believers. Three strikes should be for murderers and bank robbers not drunks. Drunks need help not jail. If he killed someone while drunk then he's a murderer and should get strikes.
    ...Yer Man Soloman

18. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    [video=youtube;lFJkhV5l5JU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJkhV5l5JU&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Update to the situation

For those that sent along prayer, I want to let you know that my friend felt and heard them. He did in fact Find the lord.

His charges were lowered to Misdameaner charges across the board, he was sentanced to 90 days incarceration, 18 month alcohol class, and one hell of a hefty fine.

He returned home today and has already got himself lined up for AA classes.

I just wanted to give an update here, and to thank those that were in deed praying for his salvation, sanity, and well being.......

20. commplex

commplex SSuper SSlacker

Insurance Agent
    GOD is good!