PQ/Tunnels Public planning meeting. September 18th at 6 PM

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by TCB, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jSatch

jSatch MTBGremmie

........ and a tie, so we can pick you out of the crowd.

2. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Bump! & paste

Do bring a helmet. No suit needed, but the dress nice is for those citizens who think we are muddy vermin. (But just wear what you wore at work -- we come from all walks of life). But the helmet is an efective visual SDMBA has used before at civic meetings. Someone will make a comment like "There are a lot of mountain bikers here tonight as you can see..." and then we all hold our helmets up in the air.

Here is more info about Deer Canyon history, in a suggested e-mail to regular folks, from the prolific EBasil , sent to MUTC members (I just joined a few days ago...):

Dear ___________

On behalf of the Multiuse Trails Coalition, an organization of Trail
    Runners, Cyclists, Equestrians and Hikers, let me extend my warmest
    hopes that you will find time to attend and participate in the public
    workshop scheduled for tomorrow evening. The address for the Canyonside
    Rec Center is 12350 Black Mtn. Rd, located inside the park entrance at
    the signaled intersection entitled "Canyonside".

This workshop is specifically focused upon one aspect of the draft Del
    Mar Mesa Resource Management Plan, which will be appended into the
    existing Carmel Mountain Mesa RMP. In July, 2008, the Los Penasquitos
    Canyon Preserve CAC voted unanimously to reject the draft RMP on the
    basis that it contained neither discussion or, nor a trails plan for,
    the network of trails in "Deer Canyon". These trails, primarily
    constructed and maintained by migrant workers and documented over the
    last 20 years by guidebooks, Immigration & Naturalization Service and
    the award-winning documentary, "The Invisible Mexicans of Deer Canyon",
    have recently been adopted by the hiking, trail running and bicycling
    communities.

If you are interested in issues relating to trails in open space and,
    particularly, would like to have input regarding the consideration of a
    trail plan for the last large section of undeveloped open space in the
    north city, then this workshop meeting is one that we're hoping you will
    attend. City and regulatory agency staff will present their recently
    completed surveys of the area and may also provide us with some
    historical review of the canyon as it comprised an established community
    of migrant workers a late as early 2007.

City staff and local regulatory agencies have requested community groups
    to review the area and prepare suggested Trails Plans for the draft RMP.
    Primary concerns regarding sustainability, sensitive lands and species
    and connectivity should be addressed within the context of responsible
    land management. If you have ideas for such a plan, please bring your
    maps and ideas to the workshop, in order that you may discuss them with
    other participants and the regulatory staff.

If you have not prepared a proposed trails plan, or are simply
    unfamiliar with Deer Canyon, you should attend this meeting, anyway:
    community groups, equestrian, hiking, biking and running groups,
    environmental biologists and land managers have prepared a thorough
    survey of the migrant, motorcycle and SDG&E service routes in Deer
    Canyon which will be presented in the context of a proposed trails plan
    linking the Del Mar Mesa/Carmel Mtn Mesa/Los Penasquitos Cyn preserves
    to the Black Mtn preserve and San Dieguito River Park.

The proposed plan would utilize reclaimed migrant trails to sustain a
    trail plan for hiking, equestrian, running and cycling visitors to the
    preserve areas. The plan will also call for the closure and eradication
    of a large number of trails determined to impact sensitive lands &
    habitat or to be unsustainable for a variety of reasons. Although the
    trail running, hiking and bicycling communities have already discovered
    this trail system, the equestrian community generally has not, and may
    be unaware of the potential for trails being proposed. If you're an
    equestrian and haven't been involved in the plans to create a trail
    system you'll be able to access from Carmel Valley, the Del Mar Mesa and
    Los Penasquitos, you will be excited to see what your friends and
    neighbors have put together.

No matter your choice of how you visit our open space preserves, you are
    welcome and encouraged to attend this workshop. Please come on out and
    participate!

Multiuse Trails Coalition

"Trails are for Everyone"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  3. Ray Dolor

Ray Dolor New Member

Think I'll be there in my "Cabelas" hat, but WITH my helmet. Out on the Mesa yesterday, there were a LOT of riders in the afternoon, and I was able to talk to at least 10 who did not know what was goin' down. They do now, and they seemed pretty fired up for the meeting. Used up all my flyers.

Also, today, just fer a break, I parked at the end of Santa Fe street in PB and rode the trails up Rose Canyon and back, then crossed over on Regents and rode SC Canyon. It's changed since i was there last! Met a guy on a Epic who asked me if i ever rode Tunnels. He said he loved the trail. I told him what might be going down and he was just set into a state of shock. He's showin' up fer sure, too.

No way around it. This here is the trail-access version of the OK Corral comin' up.

4. b5driver

b5driver New Member

we're doomed #-o

5. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    After members of the LPCP-CAC read this thread and the plans for helmet-only, semi-nudism, there has been a decision that the voting members of the CAC will each attend this evening's meeting wearing matching thong/unitard outfits provided by an anonymous benefactor.

Hey, there are several of us that haven't got time for the otherwise obligatory belly and back waxing, so please be kind. Also, since the one they gave me appears to have been fitted for someone about 5'10", my voice may squeak a little from time to time.

6. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    While you ponder the apocoloyptic implication of that last post, here's some notes for tonight:

--Please come earlier than 6! We need to get everyone in, organized, quiet and started by 6. I say 5:30 is your target.

--If you've got photos of riders in the Tunnels, the older in time the better, bring 'em.

--If you've got pro-trails friends that are equestrians, please ask them to come out and to wear a "horsey shirt".

--At some point this evening, you will be baited or insulted. Some cannot resist. DON'T TAKE THE BAIT. If you really have to respond, be kind and as though you were correcting a small child or errant friend.

--City Staff will break us into "user group" breakouts, to discuss the trails and create "user group" consensus plans. If you trail run or hike, consider joining that break out. If you're an equestrian... you get the idea (oh, and wear a horsey shirt).

--Don't worry or argue about tunnels being "canopy cut" or "ruined": this isn't on the table, even if a group were to "agree to it". Just remain the environmentalist that you are and note your opposition to any cutting.

--Our community goal is to show mass, mutual support for a smart, sustainable trails plan that will serve our communities and kids for years to come. Be proud of it.

See you tonight!

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I just got home from the planning meeting regarding the Deer Canyon area of LPQ.

Let me be the first to say that EBasil did a fantastic job of presenting the trail proposals in an eloquent manner. I think the majority of mountain bikers in attendance realize that it's imperative that in order to get a little, we have to give a little with regard to the trails.

My eyes were certainly opened about the original intent of the Deer Canyon land area as well as the extent of the trail network that currently exists.

My main observation/comment is this:

The concern many of the trail users/interested parties have is the general disrespect being shown in the Deer Canyon area (i.e. cutting of fence surrounding the vernal pools area, dumping of trash, cutting of new trail, etc). I certainly agree that it is a huge problem. However, the main perpetrators of these blatant acts of disregard for the natural habitat are generally not the type who will go to meetings like the one we had tonight. They are not the ones who will hop off their bikes for horses. They are not the ones who ride with bear bells. They are not the ones who represent the majority of mountain bikers and I'm confident, the majority of folks who attended the meeting.

My challenge is this (and please weigh in): How do we curtail the damaging activity and educate other riders? The initiative is going to have to come from the bottom up...riders who care taking a stand and making a difference. If we don't self-police, there may very well be no trails in the future for us to have to worry about policing.

In general, I am hopeful that a compromise can and will be reached. I think that is the only way that the riders will maintain access to the trails that we love.

8. b5driver

b5driver New Member

Throw rocks at the offenders :bang: All kidding aside, I think SDMBA is moving in the right direction with the mountain bike patrol. I think other groups have used them to varying degrees of success, but it would be a good start. Also, as the plan moves along and we're actually able to get in there and do some trail work this will create visibility that may deter others from going off designated trails, trashing areas, etc. Time will tell if this will actually work.

9. sladnas

sladnas Gumby

My take on it, for better or worse:

The appeal of LPQ to me is the mess of hidden and intermediate level trails (at the right speed :)) in all the nooks and crannies.

Unfortunately that level of adventure cannot be sustained indefinitely. So now what? Well, we face a "something or nothing" proposition. I think the work EBasil and others have done is fantastic and really shows creativity and forward thinking. The reality is, however, that LPQ the way you've come to love it is done. Dead, gone, whatever. Think intestines without the bulldozers. That is pretty sad...but I understand the situation we are all facing.

The most exciting thing that could come out of this, in my opinion, is the "connector" status that the trail master dude was talking about. Rather than LPQ being a destination, it's simply a stop along a larger network. I think that would be great. I'll probably be in rigor before it happens, but I like the idea.

10. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Although fence cutting may be the acts of MTBers, I highly doubt the garbage dumping is. That's likely the acts of locals who are just too lazy to go to the dump.

11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

^^True, and that's where the education and "policing" of all users comes in. But as far as cutting new trail is concerned, well, I think we know who is doing that.

12. danlorek

danlorek New Member

it was nice to see all the mtn bikers there. i think EBasil did an amazing job too; i was seriously impressed!

it was also nice to see all the red tape in person, i've really never seen that before. i hung out for a bit to check out the meeting after the public input... and was enlightened. too bad the conservationists don't put their effort into preventing devastation on a much grander scale (read: del mar mesa construction) instead of battling single tracks about a mile in length.

btw, when's that old lady retiring from the board??

13. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Yep. But what I was trying to say, was I would be willing to bet the people dumping the trash aren't trail users at all.

14. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Yes, very interesting meeting...I thought Rich's opening message was inspirational, great comments & presentations by SDMBA folks and others, and then EBasil, SDMBA, & MUTC really delivered the goods. I think the agency reps & CAC old guard were pretty much blown away by the amount and quality of the work put into the trail plan that was presented, and the cohesive message that MTB'ers can be their ally & work force. Seriously, it was the equivalent of a couple years of committee work handed to them. Of course, the sad reality is that our tunnels playground paradise is doomed as we know it -- but with this plan something good for all, very good, can come out of it. The SD trails manager was a great surprise, great guy, said he and his folks have evolved away from 8' wide d.g. sidewalks to embracing narrow singletrack, and are striving for connectivity.

Yes, SoCal long ago was sold out to developers such that true open space is almost gone, and all user & interest groups are looking to set-aside parcels to meet their need, and fighting over it. I almost felt sorry for the DFG guy with the hopeless task of trying to fence off and protect vernal pools from the hordes seeking land to recreate on. That includes us.

In the short run we're screwed (DFG guy's plea / threat: technically, riding a bike in the fenced-in area is a misdemeanor, and he has the authority to have you arrested, not just ticketed), but in the long run it is encouraging.

15. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Along with EBasil a big thanks should also go out to Rich, Rob, Mike and Minette for giving excellent presentations. :beer:

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Just curious about this. You can't be arrested on a misdemeanor. So how would that work?

17. evdog

evdog Member

Agreed...

Deer canyon and the mesa have pretty much been the wild west up until now. Few land managers were aware of trails and the area was a patch work of blocks owned by all sorts of agencies each working in isolation. No wonder the area was not being managed effectively (or at all). And without effective management, people will do whatever they want. This unfortunately has led to an area that is littered with garbage, trails and rutted roads.

For those of you who couldn't make it tonite one of the first presenters was a manager from Fish and Game. He told us that the area up on top of the mesa surrounded by chain-link fence and concrete barriers is a mitigation preserve now owned by his agency that is meant to be off-limits to pretty much everybody. Biking is illegal there under the law and would be considered a misdemeanor (ie you could be arrested on the spot). He said people on foot are the only acceptable visitors. I bet there was not one person from the general public in that meeting who was previously aware of 1) who owned it, 2) that bikes are not allowed by law or 3) that it was meant as a mitigation preserve. There are no signs posted anywhere, there are holes cut in all the fences that have been there for ages, the whole place is littered with garbage, and the roads going through it are gouged deep with ruts. So it doesn't surprise me that people were ignoring the fences. How was anyone supposed to know we were not allowed to be in there when the area looks completely ignored?

What is really needed is a huge amount of education. If we want to have legal trails as were presented, people need to know what areas are off-limits, that we need to stay on trails and not create new ones, and that we need to be on our best behaviour. Somehow we will also have to bring the people sdyeti described into the fold.

Unfortunately, we will also need to sacrifice some (or a lot) of existing trails in order to legalize the remainder. Achieving a workable trail plan will be a huge challenge considering all the user groups and the emphasis on total preservation that some local residents and agencies may want. Hopefully the mtb community can respect the final decisions that are arrived at. I also hope that agencies like Fish and Game can realize they cannot just fence off a huge open area located in the middle of a city and expect people to stay out of it.

I think if they can set up a decent trail network and clearly mark the trails so people know where they can go, then people will respect that and behave.

18. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    It must have been the propaganda the old lady was talking about :?:

19. Ray Dolor

Ray Dolor New Member

Good point. I spoke briefly with Jason ( the F&G kid) during the break, and told him i was certain that it was NOT bicyclists who cut down the new fences. We don't need to, when we can just go around 'em. These folks really have to start doin' some "reality-based" thinking.

I don't think they'll start without our "help". But that's just what i do....everyone says I'm a "helper".

As to that older board member, i sure hope she sees her MD SOON.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  20. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Sure you can...look it up.