PQ closed, again

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by TCB, Dec 19, 2007.

1. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    From the Senior Park Ranger for Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve

More rain means another closure, We had to close the south trail again today. Lopez creek is running strong during the rains, the main entrance on the west end is flooded and impassable. It looks like we may get more rain today and tomorrow. We are not going to post the north trail, people have been great about staying off of it during the storm and a day or two afterward, we will let them use discretion as the north sheds the water rather quickly. Old Lopez Road trail is a slippery mess, so it is also closed. We will keep you all posted.

2. .8down

.8down Active Member

no surprise I have given up on riding LPQ this week, maybe even this winter...its just so sensitive.

3. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't take much to shut it down. I'm p-o'd cuz now that I have lightage, I could commute through there again.

4. sdfisher

sdfisher New Member

I see the closure of PQ as motivation to get off my butt and bike somewhere different for a change. I have been hitting up Black Mountain more lately. This place is starting to grow on me, I love the climb to the top.

5. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I was going to ride LPQ this morning (Friday the 21st) but now it looks like I am cleaning the house before the in-laws arrive tomorrow and picking up a new 29er wheelset at the LBS. Oh well...hey, Cowles Peak drains well, hmmmm....Also, I rode parts of MRT Tuesday morning and it was fine but might be too wet now with last night's rain.

6. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    That is a fun climb. The view is pretty good too. I need to do that one more too.

7. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I was also thinking of riding Cowles later today, it holds up well after the rain, it makes it a lot more challenging with the wet logs.
    FYI, don’t forget to bring a Bell, I have been using a Baer Ball I got from REI, it has a magnet so you can turn the ringing off.

[​IMG]

8. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

Thanks for bell info. I found a cowbell on a shoestring inside a box as I was cleaning up stuff in the garage last week. I started using it on rides this week and it makes a heck of a racket but is extremely effective. However, I was pedaling hard to an upcoming rise at MRT early Tues. A.M. and the cowbell bounced off my thigh and hit me in the mouth, I almost ate the thing literally. So, I strapped it to the back of my pack...but I'll check out this bear bell, I like the idea of being able to silence it. I'd offer to meet you at Cowles today but I am not sure if or when I'll get over there this afternnon.

9. nappyt

nappyt New Member

Mmmm... Big Rock.... Tried that a few times without cheating. Didn't work out. Need to work on my cardio and balance before I hit that one again. Whats the water bar count again 140+? I love the sections where just a few won't due but 6 in a row every couple feet will. :)

10. JimmyJ

JimmyJ New Member

Software Mgt.
    What route do you take to the top? I usually climb the fire road and then shoot down the West side to Miners Loop to Canyon View. It is a short ride but it is a nice cardio workout to the top.
    I just got a lighting system but I think that I may never get to use it with LPQ being closed every other week!

11. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I just have to ask. Shouldn't they be sold as a set? :lol:

Oh, wait you said BELLS.

12. sdfisher

sdfisher New Member

I live right near the Laurentian trailhead, so I go up the fire road to the top then either down the north side to miner's loop. Or sometimes I come back down the fire road and head off down the rock garden to the trails that lead back to Hilltop Park. I am now looking into exploring the hills to the east. I need to print out MTBBill's map next time I go. I have been mapping the area with my GPS when I ride.

13. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    I rode in LPQ today, and I noticed that the "Park Closed" sign on the A-frame at the fireroad leading to the Sh!ts was placed flat on the ground, face down. Did the rangers do this, or did some random person do it? Is that section open or closed?

14. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    That sign was subject of some debate the other day. I think the rangers forgot about it.